No announcement yet.

Mr Simmonds 3B lite project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How have you removed the tar panels? Did you use a hairdryer/heat gun?

I was also thinking about re-routing the washer bottle as it should remove up to 5kg from the front and leaves weight in the back, something that it needs when all stripped! My rear wheels spin a lot easier on a launch than they used to With the thick rear bar it was always lively on track but good on the road, seems to tuck the front in nicely at the moment too but I'd bet on track it'll be a handfull, I'm hoping that the HnRs tame it a little, I'm sure that the semi-slicks will.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

[QUOTE=Rusty;435451]How have you removed the tar panels? Did you use a hairdryer/heat gun?

Yep, I used a hot air gun and a pallet knife, one of these things. One you get the feel for how long to heat the stuff it comes off easily.
      Attached Files
      1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
      1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
      1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
      1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post

I was also thinking about re-routing the washer bottle as it should remove up to 5kg from the front and leaves weight in the back, something that it needs when all stripped! My rear wheels spin a lot easier on a launch than they used to With the thick rear bar it was always lively on track but good on the road, seems to tuck the front in nicely at the moment too but I'd bet on track it'll be a handfull, I'm hoping that the HnRs tame it a little, I'm sure that the semi-slicks will.

Re-routing the washer bottle takes five minuets with the car striped out, figured it was a no brainer whist as I was routing the battery cables, just got to swap a connection round on the wiper stalk to complete the job. There's even a handy grommet already in the bulk head behind where the battery used to be, there's a spare nipple on the grommet that can be used by nicking the end off, perfect size for a washer pipe.
        Attached Files
        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Ta, looks like I'll have to blag a heat gun for when I get the time.

Don't forget that there's also the carbon canister that can be removed although I'm not convinced with my breather solution...
          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Kit do yo recon you could do a quick lowdown on how you rerouted the battery to the boot. I.e. what cables and connectors you used. Im looking to do the same once i get back on British soil.
            91 S2 coupé - RIP
            98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

I've installed ABY battery tray in my CQ but not got as far as the wiring yet - would be interested tio hear the "how to" with regards the cabling etc

That nipple on the grommet behind the battrey tray is for the cruise control vacuum hose, but doubt you'll be needing that now
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Nice project. It should perform well when it's done.

This could be a silly question, but have you removed the sound deadening under the boot floor? What about the roof lining?
                SS

Comment

Stu, are you talking about the felt under the boot floor? or is there some tar under the fuel tank?
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

No tar under the fuel tank There is some felt under the tank cover though.
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Yeah, that's removed, made a nice difference to the noise in the cabin but didn't weigh many grams...
                      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

that whirring of the pump really does it for you eh?
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

No, the howl of the exhaust when the wastegate opens on WOT is more like it You'll understand the aural joy when you get a turbo
                          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I was referring to the foam under the boot floor, but the floor panel itself weighs some, and could be removed or replaced by something lighter.
                            SS

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                              No, the howl of the exhaust when the wastegate opens on WOT is more like it You'll understand the aural joy when you get a turbo

Got one, just not on the car yet

What foam do you mean Stu?
                              I just stripped my car back to bare metal and didn't seen any except the little 3" square pads that stop the fuel tank rubbing on the boot floor?
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

My floor panel is covered in foam underneath.
                                SS

Comment

Working...
                                X