Clear All

underneath the tank? thats weird!

Or you mean under the tank cover mate?
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by s2_bo View Post
      Kit do yo recon you could do a quick lowdown on how you rerouted the battery to the boot. I.e. what cables and connectors you used. Im looking to do the same once i get back on British soil.
      No worries, I'll do guide with pictures one night this week. It's really straight forward if you have an Avant battery tray and live cables.
      1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
      1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
      1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
      1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
        Nice project. It should perform well when it's done.

This could be a silly question, but have you removed the sound deadening under the boot floor? What about the roof lining?
        As Error says regarding his car I have no foam under the fuel tank just some of that felt type stuff on the underside of the cover. The roof lining is currently out as the original one was fecked, I've got a mint black one but I'm not sure yet if I'm going to fit it.

Comment

Under the cover. Not under the tank. I haven't got as far as pulling the tank right out. I think of the boot floor as the panel I stand on when I have to tug the spare wheel out.

There is black tarry stuff that runs down the back of the wheel arches, but I guess Kit has found that already.
          SS

Comment

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
            Under the cover. Not under the tank. I haven't got as far as pulling the tank right out. I think of the boot floor as the panel I stand on when I have to tug the spare wheel out.

There is black tarry stuff that runs down the back of the wheel arches, but I guess Kit has found that already.
            Ahh, then you mean the same thing, yes I've removed the cover and sound deadening. I've found the strip of Bitumen on the rear arches and there some more under the fuel filler neck which is a b&astard to get at.

Comment

If you want to go all out Kit you need to strip off the factory rubbery underseal - I took about 30kg of the stuff off and put about 6kg back on with the products I used.
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
                No worries, I'll do guide with pictures one night this week. It's really straight forward if you have an Avant battery tray and live cables.
                Ive got some info via PM from the chef about this if anyone wants it as well.

Nice looking diet this, going to be following some of the same steps myself when i get back to sorting the S2
                Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                  If you want to go all out Kit you need to strip off the factory rubbery underseal - I took about 30kg of the stuff off and put about 6kg back on with the products I used.
                  Hmm, that's quite a saving, definitely something I'll consider. I bet it's an epic task to remove the old stuff mind you, how long did it take you?

Comment

In all I guess about 6 days work - but then when its stripped you may as well stich weld the chassis like I did....and so the spiral continues
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Or just leave it and spend the time flowing the head
                      Cheers'en, AndyC
                      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

or do both :mischeif:
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I'm just arranging to have the HnRs and new brakes fitted to mine and then get the carpet out for a bit of removal, refurbishment and replacement!
                          Cheers'en, AndyC
                          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Got some accurate scales so here some useful weights for reference.

Main carpet- 15.5 Kg's bone dry. I'm going to strip the heavy backing off this with a view to reinstalling it as the floor looks really poo, at a quick guess I reckon it's weight can be reduced to @ 4kg, less if cut in half and just fitted in the front.

All foam blocks/felt underlay ect including the stuff under the dash - 7 Kg's dry, bear in mind this is often damp therefore much heavier.

All Bitumen sound insulation pads including the ones in the doors and under the dash- 20- Kg's, less than I first thought but still worth the effort IMO.

Procon Ten- 7 Kg's.

That's the best part of 50 Kg's all together, quite a saving and that's on top of all the other stuff I've taken out.

Comment

I pulled my fuel tank out and found it was covered in sound deadening stuff. I wonder how it compares to yours.

As you can see I've also got the full set of seven 100x100x4mm pads as listed in the FA.

With the tank empty I make that lot 17kg.
                              SS

Comment

17 Kg's is quite a bit for a fuel tank, and yet more sound deadening!!!! I'll tackle this last bit whilst I'm renewing the fuel lines and up-grading the pump. May even be worth considering an alloy fuel cell instead of that heavy tank.

Comment

Working...
                                X