No announcement yet.

Mr Simmonds 3B lite project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also think I know why it's a touch rich on WOT, I doubled checked with Kibby and the only difference we can think of is his car used a stock UR pump and I'm using an 044 with no pressure governor on top which could be pushing the 7A FPR a touch past four bar. I have a UR pump so I'll give that a try and see what the AFR's are like, if it improves things I'll get an adjustable FPR and set it to work properly with the 044.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• I was so impressed with the tyres I burnt 3/4's of a tank of V-power the other night blasting around unclassified roads in my area and some B road stuff, it's much better compared to with 17" wheels, you can really chuck it about and find grip on the good bit's of tarmac.

I stopped when I misjudged a corner slightly and cracked my recently acquired V6 bumper, it's not beyond repair though.

Attached Files

Comment

• Looks like you have been enjoying yourself! Bad luck about the bumper, but hey cars are meant to be used, and **** happens.

Are you going to stick with 16s then?
        Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
        Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Originally posted by andy10v View Post
          Looks like you have been enjoying yourself! Bad luck about the bumper, but hey cars are meant to be used, and **** happens.

Are you going to stick with 16s then?
          That's the way I look at it, a bumpers not the end of the world, if I'd done that as well as an ellipsoid and the wing etc then I'd be furious.

And yep I'm going to look at picking up another set of 3B wheels and a set of ABY 16" Avus and rework the Alcons to fit.

Comment

• I started think I was going mad concerning the the AFR's with my current set up, after boost leak testing repeatedly to 25 PSI and fixing a couple of tiny ones, trying a brand new MAF and a stock K-jet fuel pump with regulator on top she was still running too rich on WOT, often jumping to 9.6 under load and if I was very heavy with the throttle just occasionally it would bog just like Andy10V described with his when he was chasing a fuelling issue on his car with a similar set up.

Kibby was sure his car used RS2 injectors and 4 bar FPR, so I checked the injectors were the correct RS2 items and not 440's and tried two different 7A FPR's with no change. Don't get me wrong the car was running very well but I could see from the Zeitronix that it was getting too much fuel especially on WOT.

Fault code check revealed nothing, no codes other than "Max RPM exceeded engine warranty void" which is a new one on me and not of concern and the crank sensor fault which is always there.

So a couple of days ago I thought sod it I'm trying a stock 3 bar FPR as maybe Kibby thought he had 4 bar one fitted when in fact it was a stock 3B item, worth a try with the N75 unplugged I figured. It behaved perfectly throughout the warm up cycle and I could see straight away she was happy on 14.7 when cruising and enriching nicely under boost to the mid 10's on WOT. Plugged the N75 back in and what a difference, I though it was pretty quick before but it's even more aggressive now.

I've since done a couple of 100 miles with many WOT pulls in third and it's now consistently in the mid ten's on WOT, never jumping into the 9's apart from on gear changes which is to be expected. It was great to drive before but now it's even better and my poor clutch really can't take it anymore so I must get that fitted ASAP. It's obviously a little more powerful as conditions such as hills the clutch would just about take before now make it slip.

I'm going to get the flywheel refaced, will try and get this booked in with a local engineering company to reduce down time, I've kinda vowed to keep it driving at all costs after she spent six years in bits and came within a whisker of getting broken.

I'm also chuffed to finds she's never been officially written off despite having obvious repaired damage. I misread the AA report and I had gotten the dates of plate changes muddled up. It transpires that one of the plates had been on a car (BMW 325 IS) that was written off before being transferred to my car.
            Last edited by K Simmonds; 7 January 2015, 12:39.

Comment

• Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
              Had a day pottering on the S2 today started fitting the tidy interior I picked up as well doing some light weight sound insulation.

Used some left overs from work, weighs sod all.

Got the stero working on all four speakers at last.

Fitted the leather rear bench I got from Dubmanted along with the rear trim cards after swapping the carbon trim over.

Going to use some of this underlay tomommow to get the carpets to sit right as well as for a bit of extra sound insulation, again it weighs next to nothing.

What a great idea for soundproofing

Comment

• Cheers

Works a treat and was free, I rescued it from the skip at work

Comment

• That is good the fpr has sorted things out. Surprising a 3b bar one was used, I assumed the RS2 injectors would not provide enough fuel at 3 bar, and 4 bar was needed.

I have never heard of the RPM exceeded warranty void code

Have you got a price to get the flywheel done? I have never paid to get one done before, so not a clue if I get quoted a reasonable price or a piss take.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• I'm also very surprised about the FPR but after trying every other possibility I couldn't see what else could be causing the rich running at higher boost levels. I think RS2 injectors are something like 360 cc at 3 bar so guess it's pushing out 330/340 BHP at the most. To be honest I don't care what the peak power figure is, how it's delivered is way more important and I'm very happy with that aspect.

I've never had to have a flywheel refaced either so am in the dark myself, I was going to ask a couple of local engineering firms and go from there.

Comment

• As long as it is enjoyable to drive, as a plus point if you get a live map in the future, fit the 4 bar and it will be like rs2 spec all over again.

RS2 seems to have a great mid range torque wave.

Cool, if you let me know what prices you get that would be great.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• What is your boost pressure at peak and redline Kit?

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• It's hitting 1.9 bar and tapering to 1.5, I know it doesn't make sense that the RS2 injectors can provide enough fuel at 3 bar but the AFR's are safe and behave as they should. It holds boost really well and is consistent, never fluctuates, so I'm 100% sure I don't have a boost leak.

Maybe I still have a hidden fault that I've masked by lowering the fuel pressure, that it is a worry. But given what I've checked and changed I can't think for the life of me what it could be.

The midrange torque delivery is the best thing about my set up, it's awesome for over taking manoeuvres.

I do have a gas flowed head and perhaps a better exhaust system than Kibby but I would thought both of those would make it need more fuel.

Does the TPS have any input on fuelling? I did get the odd fault code for that back in the summer but it hasn't shown up since. I do have another throttle body with TPS I could try.

Comment

• AFAIK TPS is only used to detect WOT.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                            sigpic

Comment

• I need a pair of Mk2 backrests like that, I have the bench but my backrests are Mk1

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                              sigpic

Comment

• Been pondering the AFR/boost level issue, it kept me awake last night trying to think what could be causing the current readings. I'm worried it's suddenly going to go lean and melt.

Base line boost with N75 unplugged is a little over 0.4 bar but not over 0.5, I had to tweek the gate up slightly to stop it creeping open as the boost comes in.

Compression tested the engine at operating temperature, 152-158 PSI across all five cylinders, so no worries there.

Boost leak tested to the point where I'm scared I'm going to pop the MAF hose and it holds pressure fine.

I've tried it with the PCV system vented to atmosphere and if anything is was even richer.

Tried two different 7A FPR's, the same with both.

Tried it with a K-jet fuel pump with the regulator/one way valve on top, no change whatsoever.

There's not much else I can think of checking other than the injectors themselves, they came from Lind4hl's (remember him) RS2 and have the correct part number. Is it possible that they have been modified for higher flow at some point in their history? I don't even know if that can be done.

I'll double check the feed pipe to the ECU's MAP sensor for kinks or damage.

I'm open to suggestions

Comment

Working...
                                X