No announcement yet.

3b s2 coupe resurrection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep that sunroof mechanism weighs a fair bit and it's all in the wrong place, guess your going for further weight reduction as opposed to reinstating the carpets etc? If you strip all the heavy tar and crap from the back of the main rug it only weighs about 4kg's and sure beats looking at the bare floor and wires etc, it fit's well enough with no sound deadening.

How's she going ATM, all the hose's staying put, no more bogging etc? Have you tried routing the catch tank exit too atmosphere as per Johns suggestion? Going to give it whirl with mine this weekend as I can see his logic.

I also had problems keeping the nut tight on the one top mount, I managed to get it to stay put in the end simply by tightening it much as I dared, I'd give some Loctite a try.

The Kseal has worked a treat with mine and she's flying as long as I'm careful with the clutch, I'm still going to be pulling the head over Xmas and sorting the issue properly also need to fit the new lifters I have ready as one is making a racket again. However it's bought me time to get her MOT'd at the end of this month, nearly been a year
    Last edited by K Simmonds; 8 November 2014, 18:07.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Even with my dropped seats I bumped my head on the roof with a helmet, that was the final straw so the headling came out. Good place to loose weight as you say.

It will stay stripped for now, I would like to put a non sun roof headlining in, or make something up long term. Same with the back of the car, carpets will go back in eventually.

I have not used it since Knockhill, but performing flawlessly I have still to unplug the catch tank, I didnt want to change anything the day before track.

I would still like to get it live mapped once the intake and exhuast are one, just need to decide if that is me done, or if I want to upgrade to a billet RS2 or billet k26?

That sounds great, its much easier to stay motivated when you can use it! And then take it off the road for planned maintenance is better than fixing it once its broken.

Are you just not doing high load low rpm?
      Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
      Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Noels 20V that I'm looking after has no sunroof and there's loads more head room so I can see the appeal of getting shot of it if your using the car with a helmet often.

If you were to go to the trouble of getting a live map them some the the billet wheel options look excellent, and your ready to go with uprated rods. I'm more than happy with my set up and have no plans to change anything other refine and tidy what's already been done, the bottom end was rebuilt not that long ago and is lovely and smooth and has good compression etc so I don't want to disturb it.

Yeah I'm just using 1/2 throttle most of the time, if I'm extra progressive with it on the flat I can almost give it full beans through the first three gears but I have to be very careful with the load pedal on hills. Not got much spare time between now and Xmas when I get a decent break so I'm just going to take it easy on her till then and get the MOT out of the way at the end of this month. One of the lifters is clattering at random again so I want to change them for the new INA ones I have ready, it's not a whole lot more effort from there to remove the head. Be a good opportunity for a decoke and I'll match the exhaust manifold to head while I'm at it, the inlet should already be done.

Comment

• Nice one Andy! And I thought it was a flying machine at ~290 bhp on the way and back to the coalface

Good work.

Comment

• Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
            Noels 20V that I'm looking after has no sunroof and there's loads more head room so I can see the appeal of getting shot of it if your using the car with a helmet often.

If you were to go to the trouble of getting a live map them some the the billet wheel options look excellent, and your ready to go with uprated rods. I'm more than happy with my set up and have no plans to change anything other refine and tidy what's already been done, the bottom end was rebuilt not that long ago and is lovely and smooth and has good compression etc so I don't want to disturb it.

Yeah I'm just using 1/2 throttle most of the time, if I'm extra progressive with it on the flat I can almost give it full beans through the first three gears but I have to be very careful with the load pedal on hills. Not got much spare time between now and Xmas when I get a decent break so I'm just going to take it easy on her till then and get the MOT out of the way at the end of this month. One of the lifters is clattering at random again so I want to change them for the new INA ones I have ready, it's not a whole lot more effort from there to remove the head. Be a good opportunity for a decoke and I'll match the exhaust manifold to head while I'm at it, the inlet should already be done.
            Billet RS2 would be nice as it should spool faster/less lag, and make more power up top, win win really. I think that would be the nail in the coffin for the clutch though.......

Billet K26 for a bit more power, but more lag, not quite sold.

Are your lifters the "lightweight" ones or normal?

FRP cut INA lightweight, stock, INA stock replacement in half after a lightweight failure

http://www.theprojectpad.net/viewtop...t=1263&p=61118

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Originally posted by dm80 View Post
              Nice one Andy! And I thought it was a flying machine at ~290 bhp on the way and back to the coalface

Good work.
              Thanks Derek

She sure flies now!

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Yeah the billet RS2 does look very appealing indeed, it's great turbo in stock form but with quicker spool and a bit more grunt again it must be truly awesome with good mapping.

The lifters I have are the full weight INA's.

Tried the catch can vented to atmosphere, seems to be fine no bad smells etc and if anything I'd say she goes better, hard to tell with a cooked clutch though.

Comment

• I borrowed an 034/DNA 3" downpipe from martinws for a look, should be a fairly straightforward cut onto my existing 3" top section

And quattro-nick found me a wanger intake in Germany for a reasonable price, bought it and posted it on to me, huge thanks

I have the top section of a wagner hose after the throttle body coming from John, and should be able to re use a couple of bits of my existing pipework to get up from the intercooler.

I need to get

shorter PAS belt, documented by John
                  extend TPS, IAT and ISV wiring (where do I get suitable wire?)
                  make ISV extension pipe
                  extend throttle cable (bike cable bits? )

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• You are riding that slippery slope on your face

Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Well you lot are hardly the voice of restraint, and partly to blame I feel.....

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Indeed
                        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• ISV reaches without extending

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                          sigpic

Comment

• Thanks John.

Like this?

Did you make a bracket for the FPR from the IM bolts?

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• 3b s2 coupe resurrection

Yes like that, the ISV just hangs on the pipes, it's pretty solid.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                              sigpic

Comment

• Sunroof roughly bracketed in for now

Going to seal or duct tape it for now (track day this weekend), then weld a blank in somehow when the new heated screen goes in and paint the roof.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Working...
                                X