• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New breather setup will be

Crank breather to old head breather
    Modified pipe through the head will be the vent
    New cam vent to swirl pot
    Swirl pot drain to sump (below oil level)
    Swirl pot vent to catch tank

The block will vent through the oil drain holes into the head, and also from the block breather into the stock head breather. The head will vent out the modified pipe in the cam cover. This is to combat oil surging out the block breather on hard right hand bends, out out the back of the head breather under hard acceleration. I am not sure if it is best to link the head and block via the stock breathers or not? I know Hank Iroz vented out just the head at 600bhp, relying on the oil drains for crank case ventilation and had no crank case pressure build up. Will oil slosh between the head and the crank case? Does it matter or would they be better blocked?
    Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
    Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• I'm going to do the very same thing with breather pipe. I have a stainless water separator that I'll put more baffles in with possibly a swirl pot or bmw vortex thing before it. Are you blocking the front or back of the new head breather or venting both sides?

Comment

• Ps. Do you think that with a bit of heat on the aluminium and water running through the stainless cam cover pipe you could pull it right out the back? Or is it all one piece?

Comment

• Originally posted by martinws View Post
          I'm going to do the very same thing with breather pipe. I have a stainless water separator that I'll put more baffles in with possibly a swirl pot or bmw vortex thing before it. Are you blocking the front or back of the new head breather or venting both sides?
          I have blocked the front just now and will vent out the rear, could do some experimenting into coke bottles to see what is the best?

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Originally posted by martinws View Post
            Ps. Do you think that with a bit of heat on the aluminium and water running through the stainless cam cover pipe you could pull it right out the back? Or is it all one piece?
            The long pipe is alloy, I didnt check what the ends are. I think remember reading that you can just twist the front one and pull it out.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Intake manifold off, wagner offered up for a test fit, hits the power steering pump as expected, shorter belt on order.

Next problem

Injectors in fuel rail and the front of the injector hits the intake manifold;

Injectors in intake manifold

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• That's weird, I'm sure mine doesn't do that

Is it a genuine Wagner IM?

ABY fuel rail? Do the fuel rail bolt holes line up?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

• Its supposed to be genuine.

It was an ABY fuel rail I tried. The fuel rail is still too high in the pictures for the bolt holes to line up.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Following this with interest as I will be doing this some time in the near future
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Anyway strop over so went back out for another look.

ABY fuel rail does not work with a dizzy, so back to the 3b fuel rail.

3B fuel rail is tight but fits the wagner intake, popped on the throttle body and ISV.

Need to do something about a throttle cable, I am going to make a hard pipe for the ISV like a wagner one but from copper plumbing pipe

Intake will fit down between the crossmember and the radiator hose

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Weird. I got the ABY rail to fit past the dizzy by bending the pipes up a bit, in actual fact the 3B pipe was a better fit to the stock fuel lines though..
                        I'll have a look at mine in a bit to check what the fit is like.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• Thanks, I might have a look at mix and match with some bending then, however would need to get the fuel rail fitting first.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• I had a look and took some pics. The rail definitely pushes the injectors over at an angle, don't think it's as severe as yours but hard to tell.

One of the pics shows a sliver of daylight behind the mount showing that it doesn't bolt up flush.

There's a couple of the pipes bent to clear the dizzy too

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• Thats great John, thank you for taking the time to do that. So it is tight but does fit, I will need to try wiggling mine a bit more, mine probably looks exaggerated as the rail is not down yet.

More lube and wiggling it is then!

That is great to see what you have done with the fuel lines, makes sense now.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Started first time!

Major leak from the injector-intake manifold, time for new o rings

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Working...
                                X