Da Green Monstah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success and failure...

Well folks a lot has been going on since I last posted. Dave Jones, my Welsh wrench, had to have major ankle surgery so we made a decision to have Jeff Gerner of Four Ring Performance (FRP) build the motor while Dave will responsible for final assembly. The first thing we did was send him the new crank. His analysis was that the crank was totally unusable due to severe machining issues. We shipped that crank to the shop that built it and started searching for a new source. We ended going with Crower cams in Southern California. After several months of waiting we finally have the finished product. The release announcement just came out from FRP and here's a link with more info:

http://fourringperformance.com/crankshaft.php

I visited FRP yesterday and shot some of my own pics.

Hap, wit dakine crankiness from Vadaboost, Maguire

Comment

• What stroke did you go for Hap?

The crank looks cool.
      Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
      Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Originally posted by andy10v View Post
        What stroke did you go for Hap?

The crank looks cool.
        FRP Engineering is very pleased offer a true race grade 92.8 stroke crankshaft for Audi 5 cylinder engines. This crankshaft is manufactured in the United States, exclusively for FRP by Crower Cams and Equipment Company. This crank, manufactured from E4340 chrome steel, offers greatly elevated levels of torsional stiffness and load carrying ability with vastly upgraded material quality, heat treating and broad fillet style journal radius compared to the under cut J radius on the factory crank. The increased torsional stiffness of this crank greatly reduces wear and tear on the factory crank dampers and their mounting.
        1995 1PissedOff90sigpic1991 USDM CQ 7aT

Comment

• * Cranks are built to order for each client. Custom strokes are available.
          Just curious with custom strokes available what Hap would go for and why.
          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Originally posted by andy10v View Post
            Just curious with custom strokes available what Hap would go for and why.
            Hey Andy

I went with the dimension of the OEM 92.8 stroker crank so I'm at 92.8. According to Dave Jones and Jeff Gerner this is the most forgiving of the stroker dimensions.

Hap, wit dakine 3D from Vadaboost, Maguire

Comment

• why did you go for billet one ?? is it better than a cast one?
              becouse the billet one cost 3 times more than the forged one..

Comment

• Originally posted by rxl View Post
                why did you go for billet one ?? is it better than a cast one?
                becouse the billet one cost 3 times more than the forged one..
                Hey RXI

The OEM 92.8 crank is also forged but it has the stock AAN keyway mount to the front pulley. The billet crank has a pressed on affair and it is also much stronger with much better oil flow.

Hap, wit dakine billetness from Vadaboost, Maguire
                Last edited by urs4guy; 12 June 2015, 02:43.

Comment

• Top piece! FRP have a good reputation. Expensive I reckon (or maybe I just don't earn enough money).

Comment

• So as I mentioned on Facebook, has anyone else over here felt a rumbling in Da Force? Jeff Gerner of Four Ring Performance has completed assembly on my 2.5 stroker motor with the FRP 92.8 billet crank and will be shipping it to Dave Jones in Denver on Tuesday. Thanks for all the hard work and attention to detail Jeff. You're the best! Jeff's expectation will be 1000hp+ to the wheels.

Hap, wit dakine feelin from Leaboost, Maguire

Comment

• Progress on Da Monstah

It's been a while so I thought I'd give the Euroside an update on our progress on Da Monstah.

3 1/2" down pipe before final welding:

Electric steering reservoir from a GT3 RS:

Final fitting taking place:

Say Ahhh:

Charge air and water manifold:

The view from above:

View from below:

Remote oil filter:

Well, that's it for now. More to come in the future. I can hardly wait.

Hap, wit dakine waiting from Leaboost, Maguire
                      Last edited by urs4guy; 24 September 2016, 02:54.

Comment

• your elektric power steering pump looks just the same as mine but mine is from a opel astra model
                        nice build so far
                        audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
                        TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
                        AEM W/M injection

Comment

• very cool update

Comment

• I just got the results back from 3R Racing on my corner balancing and alignment of the car with the custom front sub-frame. The car's weight came in at 3630 pounds. The old Audiworld model guide had the urS4 at 3839 pounds and we were at 3770 after the first round of lightening. I am ecstatic. The front to rear weight ratio was 55.5-44.5. Da Monstah's first round of dieting involved a Stromung exhaust and a much lighter BBK. This second round involves the custom front subframe and a set of Sparco Milano front seats.

Hap, wit dakine weight loss from Leaboost, Maguire

Comment

• Homeward bound

Well, after a 5 1/2 year build Da Green Monstah is headed home. It was picked up in Aurora CO this evening and should be joining me in Leaboost, KS tomorrow evening. Here's a pic of it tucked away with a security blanket to help keep it warm enroute.

Hap, wit dakine homeward bound baby from Leaboost, Magure

Comment

• Quite a journey so far! Can't wait to watch the next chapter unfold.

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk
                                Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
                                2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
                                2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
                                1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                                1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

Working...
                                X