No announcement yet.

Project '96 Refurb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POR15 products have been ordered, woop woop!
    1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Comment

one of the front caliper bolts feels like its going to round...someone before hasnt done a great job!! arrrggghhh

Comment

Originally posted by willg54 View Post
        one of the front caliper bolts feels like its going to round...someone before hasnt done a great job!! arrrggghhh
        More fun and games
        Shane

Comment

welcome tp the wonderful world of the 20 year old chassis refresh

Get an airduster form Maplin or the like. Apply Loads of heat, then turn the air duster upside down and spray it - out comes liquid CO2 at minus-s-5hit-load. Works a treat.
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

stupid thing is, that bolt was on the movit calipers...should have been done not so long ago!!

i;ve soaked it all in wd40 over night and will try again tonight. Might just take it off at the carrier and put it in a vice...may be easier!

Comment

nice 1hour 15 mins. Front right is apart!

interesting that the Mov'it brake are actually Brembo!!! There is a brembo print in the inner caliper!

Comment

first dodgey thing on the car....

it seems that the bolts for the brake pipe bracket that bolts on to the strut on the front left have previously snapped...instead of them being drilled out and re-tapped, the genius decided to weld the bracket on instead!! 20mins with a chisel and its off! will be needing a new bracket haha.

otherwise, all 4 corners of the car are empty!

now time to start tackling the engine bay. Waiting for a friend who's an a/c engineering to come and de-gas it for me. Doing my part for the enviroment and not releasing it to atmosphere

Studying the budget...looks like it may run out soon!! I've just been nominated for an engineering award in birmingham, hopefully I'll win and the £1k prize will disappear quickly on the car!

Comment

haha, I tacked my brake pipe brackets onto the struts

Good work, well done on the nomination dude
                  Money soon evapourates doesn't it, once you start adding all the bits up, especially OE nuts & bolts etc

Not enough pics in this project thread
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                    haha, I tacked my brake pipe brackets onto the struts

Good work, well done on the nomination dude
                    Money soon evapourates doesn't it, once you start adding all the bits up, especially OE nuts & bolts etc

Not enough pics in this project thread
                    Money is diappearing fast...it was the samco hoses that was a big hit but it needed to be done!! i have most parts on the shelf now though, just the front end to tackle really, engine belts etc...sure i can get a loan of the parents!!

As for nuts and bolts, i have a very good shop just down the road that will supply them all at a fraction of the cost of OE! just tell them what, and 99% of the time they have them!! if not, few days later they will!

Pictures...fine...i'll go get some

Comment

hmm, I'd be wary of using off-the-shelf bolts, even the right grade, they are oftne not of the same quality as OE ones, and for the sake of £10 here or there better then shearing a critical bolt on the limit and ending up hanging upside down in a hedge with a fence post through your chest

I use OE for critical bolts and A4 stainless for everything else
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

point taken about the bolts...id rather not be hanging upside down in a hedge with a fence post through my chest (or anywhere really). most of the replacement bits are nuts which is all fine, just the strut bolts, ball joint bolts etc really. probably many many more when i start going through what i've taken off!

Where's best to get the from? stealer or somewhere else? quattro corner a good source? I like using Pete, supporting a local business and a sound bloke!

just spoken to koni service place, about £40-45 per damper + parts if needed. I dont think theres anything wrong with them but a service cant do any harm! dont want to find i have leaky dampers 6months down the line....

Here's some pics for you! taken a matter of minutes ago!

the nicest surprise so far...finding the RS2 front roll bar

found some white-gloopy-jelly stuff up the side of the sump...weird!

the beautiful welding...

looking through the steering arm gap in the wing, you can see the wetness in the engine bay

Main influence to take the engine out...broken steering rack gator!

old rear disc...reckon it could be used again? hahaha

i think the 80 is getting jealous of the attention...

Here's some pics for you! taken a matter of minutes ago!

Comment

Looking good.

How did you manage to persuade the misuss that the kitchen was an ideal candidate for putting a garage door in?

Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

haha, truth betold...its my grandparents old house that we've just moved into. Im back living with my parents for my final year at uni...so far from the misuss haha.

they seemed to like the cupboards down the side...i dont! they take up too much valuable space! going to be building a bench down the back once the spare freezer and other junk is removed! the floor is quite nice to work on, apart from when you jam things into it, it breaks very easily! shhhhh...my mum hasnt noticed yet!

im amazed its been in the garage for so long after moving in!

Comment

downpipe back exhaust is off!! i had to purchase a dremel to get the bolts to the cat sections off!! there wasnt much left of them to turn and no access for a chisel!

Also got some black hammerite to do the headlight conversion!!

Dont think ill be doing much this week...mercedes hpe interview tuesday and in court wednesday for a women who conned me out of money!! thought that flat was too good to be true.....

Comment

Stripped the shocks down, dampers are pretty leaky so there packaged up and ready to go to koni! interesting to see they havent been set equally too!

Also, got the front bumper off but only to find the front right wing is very rotton. When taking one of the bolts off from the front bumper to wing, the wing just broke apart, not cool! so theres 2 wings been added to the shopping list about 12 months earlier then planned!!

Got the intercooler and cross member off too. Still not found anything bad or making me wonder whats happened to the car so all is good really!

Had to stop as i knocked the light off the stand and broke it

pics tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
                                X