No announcement yet.

Greg_S S2 Coupe 20+ years going strong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope so, head is pretty much assembled now, got do headgasket next. I have RS2 waterpump fitted so wanted to double check if timing mark is 1/2 tooth to left on right head when you align it. From memory it is to the left when looking from front of engine, but wanted to double check.

Just been reading pauls guide on S2central.net to check where the timing marks are too
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

you mean like this?

Attached Files

Comment

Thats exactly what I was after
        Greg

Comment

Greg, has your torque wrench been calibrated recently? I sent mine for calibration and it was way out. If yours is also inacurate you may set it to 15nm and it could be 30nm!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
            Just got crank tightened. Crank vs socket adaptor. Crank bolt 1 socket adaptor 0.
            Crank bolts are always a good tool test.

Also funny when you take the tool back for a replacement if warrantied
            Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
            Sold ABY-stock

Comment

I had to heat the crank bolt to break the thread lock the previous owner had applied to the bolt, took some brute force to shift that thing but the tool survived.......

Comment

Originally posted by Quattro Dan. View Post
                Greg, has your torque wrench been calibrated recently? I sent mine for calibration and it was way out. If yours is also inacurate you may set it to 15nm and it could be 30nm!
                Yeah it has a recent calibration certificate. That torque wrench only really gets used on S2 cranks anway. LOL.

MAC man comes this week so will be a warranty return
                Greg

Comment

I feel like ive made some good progress today, got the cam caps on with the new studs. Only thing I can think of was that I mistakenly set the torque wrench to 15lb/ft rather than 15nm or something like that had happened previously.

Put one of the bearing caps on the wrong way round to start with so had to sort that out too, wasnt a major drama since hadnt been tightened.

Got the head back on and torqued up today and all lined up ready for cambelt fitting in the morning.

refitted inlet manifold, water manifold and breather system pipes so starting to look more like an engine again now.

All being well tomorrow should be able to get the cambelt all done, flywheel fitted and start to fit back into the engine bay.

Tried to change the washer jets yesterday when I had 5 spare minutes and gave up after 20, couldnt get the existing ones out at all, any tips? Is one of those jobs thats been on my list for ages.
                  Attached Files
                  Greg

Comment

Just about to fit the flywheel which is single mass. Just want to double check that it only requires a single timing pin on the engine side of the flywheel?
                    Greg

Comment

You mean ditch the two diagnositc ones facing the gearbox? yeah they aren't needed

Comment

Cool, just been out measuring it against the dual mass flywheel and the pins and 0 degree mark align exactly with the single mass that has had the pin added. The other one was from balance of flywheel I think. Will post some pics in the morning.
                        Greg

Comment

You seem to be getting a little confused with the flywheel, the 3 pins on the clutch face are just dowel pins to hold the pressure plate perfectly central, they are not used for timing of any kind.

The timing pin on the engine side does not have to line up with the clutch location pins, If you take hold of your dual mass you can even twist the front and rear halves of the flywheel and change the position of the timing pin at the engine side with relation to the 3 clutch location pins as these two halves are sprung.

The location of the timing pin is timed from the crank bolts, if you bolt you dual mass
                          to you crank then observe the the position of the timing tag (the little welded on one), then swap to the single mass you will see that they are in the same position.

The other (long curved marker) as you call it in post#37 on the ABY dual mass is not for timing it is a balance weight, note how much further in it is than the timing tag.
                          Hope this clears things up for you.

Comment

Thank you for the explanation, it confirms what I thought after taking a second look at it, and realised on the dual mass the long bar was for balancing of the flywheel. Just wanted to put my mind at ease before I go and bolt it back on and get it into the car.
                            Greg

Comment

Washer jets, have a look at the new jet and work out which way it goes in and out, it kind of hooks in on the pipe side (so has to rotate out of the hole I think upwards at the windscreen side), then get behind the jet, under the bonnet and push it while levering the securing clip with a thin screwdriver. Pull the heater wire out of where its hidden to get to the plug.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                              sigpic

Comment

Thanks newsh, will give them another try now car is in the warmer workshop. Didnt make as much progress as I had hoped today due to a golf being in way between car and engine so had to wait til that was out of the way. Got the engine lined up to go in, but exhaust too tight on downpipe. Current system is rigid all the way through so cut the downpipe tonight ready for flexi to go in tomorrow morning and start getting it all refitted.

Need to re do some of the stonechip coating and waxoyl underneath too, but that will be another days job now.
                                Attached Files
                                Greg

Comment

Working...
                                X