No announcement yet.

Greg_S S2 Coupe 20+ years going strong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine is now back in one piece, but cant get it to turn over.

Been trying to track down the issue, battery ok. starter is getting voltage but solenoid only getting a couple of volts and cant hear fuel pump when igntion switched over.

Got an 044 pump fitted so can normally hear it when it starts. I assume I should hear this once ignition is switched over to position 2. Using immob the dash lights etc all work, and when you dont you get no dash lights at all.

Any advice appreciated.
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• Is timing ok? pin in the flywheel? all crank sensors connected?

You can bypass the fuel pump relay with wire to see if your relay has gone.

ameaing how many relays go on these cars

Comment

• fuel pump will not run unless the ecu sees crank and cam position sensors in the correct timing.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamo View Post
          Is timing ok? pin in the flywheel? all crank sensors connected?

I can hear the relay going for fuel pump, was trying to find a suitable pickup to check voltage to fuel pump under rear seat, but havent found one yet. May try bypassing relay as you suggest.

Doesnt explain the starter not working either unfortunately
          Greg

Comment

• As above, fuel pump will not run until engine is turning over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamo View Post
              Is timing ok? pin in the flywheel? all crank sensors connected?

WTF has the timing or sensors got to do with it, it is not even turning over!
              It will turn over even without the ECU connected .

Comment

• Just tested fuel pump relay and looks fine. Since I cant hear fuel pump running or voltage on starter solenoid think it could be immobiliser. Goto workout where the relay is for that behind dash now
                Greg

Comment

• I guess you could just bridge from the main starter terminal to the solenoid with a jumper wire to ruleout the startermotor/solenoid. You should have either full battery voltage on the solenoid wire from ign switch with it disconnected or less 9-10V when cranking I would have thought. Looks like a ign switch issue assuming battery is fully charged.

Comment

• Originally posted by twoqu View Post
                    I guess you could just bridge from the main starter terminal to the solenoid with a jumper wire to ruleout the startermotor/solenoid. You should have either full battery voltage on the solenoid wire from ign switch with it disconnected or less 9-10V when cranking I would have thought. Looks like a ign switch issue assuming battery is fully charged.
                    I agree with the above, greg i had issues with the ignition switch when i left it for 6 weeks, id do as twoqu says and bridge the starter

Comment

• Once again for the hard of seeing,

THE FUEL PUMP WILL NOT RUN UNTIL THE ENGINE IS TURNING OVER.

Comment

• Originally posted by driftin jo View Post
                        Once again for the hard of seeing,

I agree with the above.

The only way to see if your pump is running is to open the relay (just take the plastic cover off) and press on small connector, the pump will come one.
                        sigpic_________
                        Rob

Comment

• Taken fuel pump relay lid off and tested with a probe and fuel pump runs when power supplied to relay. Looks like immobiliser is too good at moment, just been tracing through where it runs and may try bypassing on ignition switch to eliminate that as the issue
                          Greg

Comment

• If its just not turning over and hopefully nothing major with the immob then check a couple of things.

the push on spade terminal on the starters on the right side
                            the grounds are good and not damaged
                            try connect up a battery with a set of jump leads to the starter motor and see if it cranks over. We had this issue with ross's car and thats what we had to do to get it to start. Think it was earth issue's with his.

Comment

• I'll check the earth strap again, havent disturbed strap to body so might have that off and tidy it up. Goto finish off for day shortly as end of working day at garage so will have to attack again in morning
                              Greg

Comment

• Originally posted by driftin jo View Post
                                Once again for the hard of seeing,

My fuel pump runs for a couple of seconds when ignition is turned on. Then stops until engine is turned over. Doesn't Motronic behave this way?

Comment

Working...
                                X