No announcement yet.

Greg_S S2 Coupe 20+ years going strong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made some limited progress so far today, flexi joint and flange on the downpipe now and part of the exhuast out. Found out why mine has a unique sound after the work done on the exhaust years ago. the center section has a few parts that will cause some turbulence! will post some pics soon.

My immediate issue is getting the engine lined up with the gearbox, I am doing a single mass flywheel conversion and have the engine partly in but its about 10mm short of the bell housing and the engine mounts are at their full extent.

Tried loosening the gearbox mounts a bit but hasnt helped. Just considering if I will be able to get enough play if I loosen the rear subframe so that I can shift it forward slightly with the diff. There is just the two gearbox mounts isnt there? Gonna read the single mass flywheel thread again too.
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

What are the torque settings for engine to bell housing?
      Greg

Comment

You should have enough room by just pulling the gearbox forwards in the car, i usually have the subframe out so the gearbox is supported on a jack making it easier to move about and adjust its angle to mate to the engine. I actually prefer to remove the gearbox with the engine and join them on the driveway as its easier but either way will do.

As for torque i use the old "do them tight so they dont fall off" method.
        91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
        93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
        94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Manage to get the engine lined up in the end. Took alot of mucking about to get it lined up though, and in order to get it in I had to file a bit out of the slots on both engine mounts. Once I did finally get it in the ramp decided to start playing up so I still have a couple of bolts to fit into the bell housing by the subframe.

Wanted to double check the bolts I need for this since I ordered the ones from the single mass flywheel thread and just have the last ones underneath to fit.

Started to get the wiring sorted in the engine bay and the exhaust is geting modded still, new PAS pump is in too but didnt manage to get to the stage where I could start the engine, all turns over by hand and clutch feels fine. Was careful not to press down too far just yet. Also did a bit on the rear brake calipers were seized so have new calipers to fit so got the cover plates and carriers off treated and coated in POR15. Also did the hub. But while I have been looking around underneath I want to do some more treatment underneath before I get back on the road.

I had a read of some of the under body treatment thread, was going to order some cavity wax and need to get some stone chip stuff. What would people recommend?

Also want to respray the cills with stonechip paint at same time. Also I found out why my exhaust had a fairly unique sound. where the center silencer was removed the builders had just cut it out, got a piece of 3.5" tube slid it over the top and welded it on leaving big steps in the exhaust with about 2" of pipe inside the 3.5" at either end of that part. Need to get a pic to illustrate properly.
          Attached Files
          Greg

Comment

I guess you found the bit about shortening the dowels?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah for some reason audi sent me 4 of the collet's so if anyone needs bits I will go through my left over parts once its all back together, the main problem I was having was to get the engine and gearbox to engage on the dowels before I bolted everything up. In the end I managed to get one side on, but was a few mm off on the other side so put bolts in the doweled holes and gradually pulled the gearbox in once I had checked the clutch was all aligned properly. Goto get some more time off work before I can continue now.
              Greg

Comment

Some pics I didnt have time to upload before and comparison of the two different flywheels and timing marks
                Attached Files
                Greg

Comment

Just starting to get ready to order some more parts and book more time off work to do some more on the car.

On my next trip I want to redo some cavity wax in a few places and also repair the underseal where it is broken, and re do seam sealer where it is need on some of the joints.

What is the process for doing this?

Should I use a heat gun and scrapper to remove what is there already before applying anything else?

Also what products and steps are recommended for the seam sealer and undersealing?

thanks

Greg
                  Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
                    Just starting to get ready to order some more parts and book more time off work to do some more on the car.

On my next trip I want to redo some cavity wax in a few places and also repair the underseal where it is broken, and re do seam sealer where it is need on some of the joints.

What is the process for doing this?

Should I use a heat gun and scrapper to remove what is there already before applying anything else?

Also what products and steps are recommended for the seam sealer and undersealing?

thanks

Greg
                    Any tips?
                    Greg

Comment

• I'm sure GT500 wrote a guide

Comment

• Do a search for "underbody paint", Rob (GT500) lists the 3M and Dinitrol products you want to use

Beware this is a VILE job. It took me about 2 weeks of work with a knotted wire brush on a grinder to remove all the old underseal off mine. In retrospect I should have got it blasted off. You will find rust spots everywhere under the underseal, it starts from the spot welds and spreads out from there. Once you start you will end up doing it all and it turns into a BIG job.
                        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Doesnt sound good, I can see it needs to be redone in a few places so I need to bit the bullet and do it now. I knew there was a thread on it, but couldnt find it before.

Thanks chaps
                          Greg

Comment

• Got next week working on the car again so should have the engine stared next week. Got 6 litres of body shultz and seam sealer while I have access to a ramp.

First job is getting the downpipe welded back up and refitted properly. Bought some stainless welding wire and argon/co2 mix. Then just need to finish connecting electricals, refit intercooler and fill with fluids before I can start up. Next up will be to change plugs, fluids fiters again and get on with replacing the rear calipers and changing the brake fluid and should hopefully be driveable again then.

Insurance and MOT and hopefully will be driving around again soon. Booked up for the Silverstone classics in July and IAM TrackDay at Silverstone in October so still have time to get sorted yet.
                            Greg

Comment

• Well the challenge starts tomorrow and its nice to know that friend and family have faith in me completing the engine and brakes so I can drive home by Friday. think they all have a wager on me not finishing it this week!

Hopefully get a few pics inbetween other bits, had a look at car yesterday and realised also have the rad to refit in addition to other jobs too.

Fingers crossed I get it all done otherwise it will be a slow bus or train journey home
                              Greg

Comment

• Good luck with it Greg
                                91 Modded 3B
                                14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Working...
                                X