My 3B project (ongoing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers mate,

Hopefully the weather is okay this weekend so I can crack on with it once the front end is back together but it doesnt look too promising at the moment.

Sould really sort out my pressurising problem too and change the oil, the list goes on but starting to see light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment

Great work, like the splitter. I remember you buying that car because I was looking the same time for one. thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by simon20vq View Post
        Great work, like the splitter. I remember you buying that car because I was looking the same time for one. thumbs:
        Cheers mate,

Yeah Im please with it so far even though it has cost me a fair bit sinse buying it, will be worth it in the end though.

Im kinda liking the splitter now its been on for a bit, was a bit unsure to start with. It does need some adjusting though but will do the at a later date.

Comment

Good work and project thread. You'll soon see the end of your wallet as well as the tunnel, but keep at it.
          Stuart
          B2 90 quattro with boost

Comment

Right time for another quick update. Didnt get much done over the weekend as I was out and about for most of it but managed to get a bit done.

All the bushes are now in place which was pretty easy in the end.

Tonight I got some more done. Decided to put the wishbones on the subframe before fitting it all back to the car. From memory I think I have put it all back together propperly but can someone just confirm this?

I havent tightened anything up yet but everything is now back on the car. Ill finish it off tomorrow hopefully and get the wheels back on. Then going to change the oil once I have got the old sump plug out. Then crack on with the rear end.

Can anyone tell me the setting for all the bolts?

Comment

http://www.isham-research.co.uk/quattro/torque.html

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

Just what I needed buddy cheers for that.

Comment

Help - Expecting the worst!

I have been having problems with my rad hoses pressurising so last night I drained the coolant out of the system. I removed the thermostat and checked that it was opening up as it should and not stuck shut. It works fine so put it back in.

Made sure the fan plug was in correctly when I put the rad back in. Bleed the system as per Rusty's http://http://www.s2forum.com/forum/...light=bleeding thread.

Everything was going well as I warmed the car up, Thermostat opened up fine, then suddenly the pressure in the top and bottom rad hose shot up. They were pretty much rock solid. The temp gauge was reading around 90+2 lines. but the rad fan didnt cut in.

Im very concerned that my head gasket may have gone but fingers crossed its something else as its almost brand new and only done a few miles since it was replaced.

There was a fair bit of steam exiting the exhaust though but was hoping that is just condensation as the car hasnt been started for about a month.

Does anyone have and ideas what I can do next before looking into the head gasket?
                  Does anyone local (buckinghamshire) have a compression test kit or leak down test to check the gasket?

Comment

Bitten the bullet

Hello everyone,

Its been a while since I last updated my thread so thought I would let you know where I am with it now.

Saddly I haven't really done any more work regarding the bushes on the rear end as I have been concetrating on getting the damn thing running properly.

I have the cooling system off and checked everywhere for blockages and air locks with no luck. checked the fan was working which it is and yet I am still getting a pressurised coolant system. The rad hoses still go rock hard and the fan doesnt kick in.

So after spending hours under the bonnet I have finally given up especially now the weaather has changed so have booked it in at a garage my friends all use when the rebuild heads over the other side of Aylesbury near Waddesden. They are going to have a look at it and let me know there thoughts and give me a quote.

Basically I have come to the conclusion that the head is cracked somewhere so will need testing, hopefully it can be fixed or I will have to use the old head I have (if thats not cracked) to make one good head.

God knows how much this will end up costing me.

I have a question for you guys.
                    I assume you cannot use an A-frame to tow an S2 due to the quattro system seeing as you have to tow BMWs from the rear.
                    Is there anyone in the Aylesbury area that has a car trailer and who wants to earn a few quid on Monday afternoon?
                    I dont really want to drive it over there although it is drivable I would have to stop to let it cool down a few times.

Any advise or suggestions would be great!

Comment

you can tow a quattro with all 4 wheels on the deck no problem.
                      You can tow them with 2 wheels IIRC but for maximum 30miles at max 30mph. Not good for the TORsen though, I wouldn't do it on mine put it that way.
                      Have you had a second opinion on the suspected head gasket? I'm sure there's a few members round your way who could take a look before you spend lots of money pulling the head off etc.
                      Has the aux rad been removed on the car and the rad bypassed?
                      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                        you can tow a quattro with all 4 wheels on the deck no problem.
                        You can tow them with 2 wheels IIRC but for maximum 30miles at max 30mph. Not good for the TORsen though, I wouldn't do it on mine put it that way.
                        Have you had a second opinion on the suspected head gasket? I'm sure there's a few members round your way who could take a look before you spend lots of money pulling the head off etc.
                        Has the aux rad been removed on the car and the rad bypassed?
                        Thank you for the info. Trailer it is then unless I tow it normally or drive it.

The garage it is booked in at are going to run tests on it and check the wiring again and let me know what they think before doing any real work on it.

The aux rad has been removed to allow the intercooler pipes to return but I didnt bypass it. I used blanking plugs in the pipwork. This was done way before I had any problems with it and it ran fine.

Comment

Morning Everyone.

Just a quick question, I can't find anyone who is available to tow my S2 to the garage or that has held a licence long enough to be able to hire a car trailer. Do you think it would be okay to drive the car very carefully and slowly the 30 odd miles to the garage if I stop to let it cool down if it gets hot?

Drove my S2 to the garage yesterday and everything was fine, only got hot when stuck in traffic but I did have my heaters on full blast and the windows open.

The mechanic had a look over it and came to the same conclusion of a cracked head
                          Instead of leaving the car with him I bought it home and will take my old spare head over to him to be tested and skimmed for a grand total of £30 If everything is okay with that one I will have it rebuilt with new internals and swap it with the current head and hope it solves the problems.

My motivation is down at the moment as I dont have a garage at the moment to work in whilst mine is being rebuilt. Hopefully it will be done by the end of the month ready for me to get the first oil stains on the nice new floor.

If anyone local to me fancies earning a few quid by coming and having a look at it with me for yet another opinion I would be very greatful especially if they have VAGcom etc. Let me know either on here or via a PM if your interested.
                          Last edited by Dobby84; 11 October 2011, 11:11.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Go and see Greig at TotalVAG in Leighton Buzzard. Tell him Alex sent you, he will look after you.
                              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                                Go and see Greig at TotalVAG in Leighton Buzzard. Tell him Alex sent you, he will look after you.
                                Ill give him a call and see if I can get the car there etc.

Dont know if anyone is more local to me (between Aylesbury and High Wycombe) that would be prepared to come to me? I can provide tea/coffee and make it worth their while.

Comment

Working...
                                X