No announcement yet.

My Treser Ur Quattro Restoration Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice project, i would love a 10v ur in my collection. Metering head is interesting, i didnt know Tresser did anything mechanical to them.
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Originally posted by DJones View Post
      I just think they got it so right with the original looks. The Treser convertible must rank as one of the ugliest ways of being transported...
      Agreed

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
      I think I have to admit to agreeing with Darren, the Treser looks are not my cuppa, but it is a unique car so its hard to call either way. If it was mine i think I'd return to OE looks but keep the Treser bits safe so it could be returned in the future, if someone invents a time machine and you decide to grow a mullet to match it
      I'm thinking along similar lines This is why I got rid of the colour coded grill and went back to black, it looks so much better.

Originally posted by gunman View Post
      Good decision. I spent years restoring Opel Manta's so I have to say that rust doesn't look too bad at all, I've seen a lot worse fixed, actually I've fixed a lot worse.
      Those pics were taken before I had a poke with a screwdriver and believe me there's worse up the front

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
      Nice project, i would love a 10v ur in my collection. Metering head is interesting, i didnt know Tresser did anything mechanical to them.
      Airbox and metering head to get it to breathe, high lift cam, big valves and ported head and manifolds, I added a Hybrid K26 and the Scorpion single box system. Actually thats quite funny, the Scorpion stainless system is (or was) guaranteed for life against corrosion but only with the original purchaser, I'm on my second one, they weren't best pleased, "He's had the car how long??"

I also have the steering wheel and wooden gear knob.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

Look forward to watching this!

Sounds like you are getting your moneys worth from the exhaust. That is cool you have had the car so long!

I would agree with the Treser thoughts, it doesn't do anything for the looks of the car.
        Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
        Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
          Look forward to watching this!

Sounds like you are getting your moneys worth from the exhaust. That is cool you have had the car so long!

I would agree with the Treser thoughts, it doesn't do anything for the looks of the car.
          It's quite cool at Audi days though, when people stroll over and say "WTF is that??"

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

You got your work cut out John
            Good choice to keep the car. It's a unique piece on the road. Good luck with the resto
            RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
            RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
            Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
            High Octane website

Comment

a good choice to keep it given you've had it so long.
              i prefer the stock/rally look myself but given the kit has been on its "entire" life its a tougher call.

i would carry out all the major repairs first and give yourself a bit of thinking time.
              for what its worth i would probably keep it treser but 80% of the work you do would be necessary for either anyway.

Comment

That's spooky I literally just PM'd you

The difficult bit is that the side wings of the rear spoiler are bolted to the rear quarters, the rivet nuts have rusted out and letting in water so the whole are needs sorting. I think the trick would be to mount these side pieces in some way that they can be removed and a different boot lid put on. The front end is easy enough.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                  That's spooky I literally just PM'd you

The difficult bit is that the side wings of the rear spoiler are bolted to the rear quarters, the rivet nuts have rusted out and letting in water so the whole are needs sorting. I think the trick would be to mount these side pieces in some way that they can be removed and a different boot lid put on. The front end is easy enough.
                  that is twilight zone stuff!! i got your pm but thought it was because i'd just posted.
                  must have been two seconds apart!?!

i've just done a load of work on a ur so i know many of the problems. i think you should get stuck into the areas (a-pillars/boot floor/underside) which you'd have to do for either version. it'll buy you time to think of overcoming the spoiler problems etc. no real need to make the treser/original decision just yet, the a-pillars alone should keep you busy for a while.

Comment

Good luck with the resto! Picked some seats up from you ages ago that were from this or another car I think. Nice bit or tartan and leather

I became the 10V traitor that I never said I would be. No regrets though!
                    Angus

(1984 ur quattro)

Comment

Originally posted by URquattroGus View Post
                      Good luck with the resto! Picked some seats up from you ages ago that were from this or another car I think. Nice bit or tartan and leather

I became the 10V traitor that I never said I would be. No regrets though!
                      Yes, they were the seat backs and covers from this car! Did you ever use them?

I've seen your car, its a beast

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                        Yes, they were the seat backs and covers from this car! Did you ever use them?

I've seen your car, its a beast
                        Yes thanks, all put to good use. I got a trimmer to use the rear seat covering to repair the front seats as I had good rear seats but slightly orrible coupe gt front seats. Can't remeber exactly what came from where, but the end result was that it's as it should be. I quite like it really! It's like wearing a "sports Jacket"

It's coming up to six years I've had mine, time flies, maybe I'll wake up one day and I will have had it for 20+ years.
                        Angus

(1984 ur quattro)

Comment

Wasn't sure I would get any work done on the car today..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Made some progress with removal of the interior

Back

Front

Centre console

ECU is wet

The new battery I fitted last year didn't have a vent nipple.. mistake..
                            Incidentaly the fuse holder and spade connectors on my fuel pump relay mod have been getting hot enough to melt!

Pic of difflock plumbing before pulling it apart.

Last edited by newsh; 5 February 2012, 17:53.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

After some head scratching and struggling I got the wiring separated into "upstairs and downstairs" and got the carpets out. One of the looms was cable tied up under the dash and looked like it went off into the main loom..

Passenger footwell, it's been jacked up underneath near the sill (not by me!) and is bulging up, there's a hole in the corner near the A pillar you can see the ground through.

Next up is the headlining out to look at the inside of the roof where I suspect there will be more rust from condensation

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

you're making good progress mate. What is the overall plan, are you going to get it dipped?
                                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                                Indigo ABY coupé
                                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X