UrS6 Saloon restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UrS6 Saloon restoration

I decide to do a project thread of my UrS6 2.2t now after Thuppu asked why I didn´t have one ! :mischeif:

So here it goes:

I live in Sweden and bought the car 2010. It is a 6-speeder and hade done 189k km. It had shaggy H&R springs and nothing more aftermarket stuff really. It´s the color LZ9U witch going to be repainted when I got the money to Obsidian black metallic I think, maybe the darkest black metallic that´s out there... Solid are nice but really pain in the *** to clean

First thing I did after 2 weeks of ownage was to drive over three vension i think they are called in english? "Bambi"

But that wasen´t so bad afterall, got the right side, hood and front reprayed and after that I resprayed the mirror and changed turning signals and headlight glass.

First thing i did with my car after the insurance company was done with it was to swap brake discs all around, brake pads, refurbish the calipers and changed all brake lines to goodridge stainless. Also changed the H&R springs to Audi OEM Sport springs and refurbished the shocks with new boots and dustcaps

Also changed the tie rod in the front, track rod in the rear, control arm in the front, strut bearing in the front and sway bar end link.

Owner:

H&R springs off, looked like a toad with them on

Buddy of mines electrolyte bath ! Don´t laugh now hehe But it working really well, just me being a pain in the *** and forcing my m8 to do everything at ones, looks kinda safe...

Front strut repainted and re-assembled with Zimmermann rotors...

Rear strut repainted and re-assembled

Brake caliper refurbed and painted

Check out the gobblers thumb

16" winter tires with some unknown rims, hoping to change these to 17" at least someday as Winter in Sweden is like half the year

After this it has happend more, just going to check my albums and sort things out !
    Last edited by Wrath; 31 March 2012, 23:32.
    1995 Audi S6 - AAN (~350hp)
    2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)
    2008 Hyundai i30 - 1.6 CRDI (89hp)
    2011 KTM 990 SMR - custom tuned (120whp)

Slight polish work after the brake was done... did a little better job later on but this looked kinda okay i think

2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)

Comment

Great photos, looking forward to more.

Nice car, gonna be hard to get a change of colour fully right everywhere ?

Kind regards.

Comment

Thanks mate, It´s going to be a real headaches but still doable i think... but that´s in the later future, more important things is coming up soon... only problem is that i can´t post picture from my picture site

like this picture:

[IMG]http://200sx.kicks-***.net/wrath/img4f74c865cdb71.jpg[/IMG]
        2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)

Comment

is it ´because the webadress is spelled with a curse?!
          2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)

Comment

Originally posted by Wrath View Post
            First thing I did after 2 weeks of ownage was to drive over three vension i think they are called in english? "Bambi"
            We call them deer, the urS6 would not even notice hitting something like that, almost like a small bump in the road.

I like the original colour.

best of luck with it and keep the photos coming please
            Shane

Comment

Yes but,

They’re deer before you hit them, and then when you hit them they become dear.

Comment

more pictures from antoher server...

Also i mentioned that ive changed the headlamp glass, that makes a huge different.

Before:

After:

Also resprayed my chrome grill to black and bought a new S6 badge to match up with the rest of the car

Also changed the RS6 rims to BBS Le Mans replica and went from 18" to 19", the only problem was that i couldn´t get hold of any with a gunmetal center so i bought silver one and reprayed them in KH2 Skyline Gunmetal (R32)

Just some cleaning and rivet assemble and they are good to go

result:

Then it was time to fix the 17th year old leather, as I have worked with both painting and polishing this couldn´t be so hard, And it wasent, just time consuming.

Bought Leathermaster B/C black color and Leathermaster Top 3 non-gloss. Also bought some leather glue... Started with taking out the seats and went to my local upholstry guy that redid both backs and seats for ~90£ (both seats)

Before:

After:

Then I cleaned the seats with Rug Upholstry and a miracle sponge, after that used sand piper with grit 500 I believe, can´t remember as it was a while ago now... after that I cleaned the seats again with T-Red (don´t know if you have that in the UK) but some alcohol of some kind.

Then it was time to use the leather glue, sanding, gluing , sanding and so on until I was pleased. Then I used a real SATA minijet to paint and top coating it...

Before:

Leather glued:

Painted and top coated:

After this it was time to order a exhaust system, found a not so cheap but very cool exhaust system from BN-Pipes looking like this it was a easy choice.

The only problem is that you have to get rid of your spare wheel box, found a 6mm aluminium plate on my work that I punshed in the right shape. Then I cut the sparw wheel box away and had the plate painted (mixed in some bodyprimer so i went ruff)
                Glued it one with 2k metal adhesive, looks oem and got really nice.

Package came for a while ago and hopefully me mate will help we this weekend (31/3-12) to install it, as I need a lift

My plan is to make a Y section and then a 200 cell catalyst on the right side of the gearbox to a 3" downpipe that I have in my garage, everything in stainless steel, even the exhaust system... going to get hold of a flex connection aswell but this will be a later project.

Meanwhile I´m waiting on my mec to help me sort out the exhaust system I changed the two catalyst that was just rubbish and got myself a magic box

Magic box:

Car really goes alot better since I got it tuned in with VEMS, also got my RS2 exhaust manifold, injectors, camshafts (brand new ) clutch on my shelf, and hopefully Rocco´s K26/27 turbocharger... should move allright then i hope.

Had to wetsand the right back door as the paintshop wasn´t as pedantic as I am but hopefully it got better, you decide :

Before:

Why this boring picture of a garage full of wood:

Just so you guys can see that ive done this before

I´m sorry tho for the bad pictures, my "real" camera ain´t present when I fixing my car

Also I painted my camcover and wastegate cover in Volvo Truck blue metallic as I worked on Volvo Truck as I painter, It´s a really nice color IRL

Got alot better when Aron sold me his spark plug cover in carbonfibre

2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)

Comment

Originally posted by s2_wot View Post
                  We call them deer, the urS6 would not even notice hitting something like that, almost like a small bump in the road.
                  Lol, it didn´t... but alot got damage and the insurance company rebuild it for ~4100£
                  Almost exactly what I payed for it so i couldnt be happier... and it didn´t cost me a dime as I had the animal addtion tinhgy with the insurance...

I like the original colour.

best of luck with it and keep the photos coming please

The first step will be to repaint the rear bumper in LZ9U before i decide to respray the whole car... it´s a massive job so i really need to think about it but I really like it to be more black.
                  2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)

Comment

Also forgot to mention that I´m not satified with suspension so I will be ordering a Bilstein B12 kit, and also i bought a complete chassie so i can change all the bushings. then I overhauled the whole chassie maybe it will be good then...

Chassie that ive bought:

Bambride´s bushings for the rear subframe

Thuppu´s bushings for the front subframe

plus adding all the stock bushings for the tripod and suchs... that should do it.
                    Will not be fixing the front strut as they are allready done
                    2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)

Comment

Thuppu was right about doing a thread.

Car is black enough, no need to change the colour until you’ve done everything else, and are bored with money and time making a hole in your pocket.

Needs to be lowered though. What size of 19” rims, and with what size of tyre ?

If it was me I’d only have one set of twin exhausts.

Would have done the calipers in black as they are not big enough to draw attention to.

Leather seats are a revelation - good work.

Is the headlight glass different to oem, or just brand new and obviously better ?

Back door is fantastic.

Carbon cover is lovely.

Blue engine parts in not for me, glass bead back to oem, or wrinkle paint in black. But I appreciate fully why you like the blue.

Keep up the good work, and keep your good camera in the garage.

Nice garage.

Kind regards.
                      Last edited by macspring; 30 March 2012, 01:07.

Comment

Macspring:

Nice to hear some contructive criticism...

I raised it becaouse it was to low, but now it´s to high and stiffer and jumpier with the Audi springs :O So i´m going with the Bilstein B12 kit, have heard alot of good words about them. the rims are 8,5x19 and tyre 235/35/19
                        One set of twin exhaust is to common, my exhaust is number 3# ever build so

planning to change the caliper for cayenne calipers and 330 rotors in the near future but that is last on my plan as these work´s like a charm... did some trackdays last summer and they are stunning with the race pads.
                        But never that i go black on the calipers, yellow is just to show of, therefore i painted the rims gunmetal in the center... looks really cool when spinning/rolling... just a polished edge and yellow calipers floating in the middle

My plan was to make the valvecover and intake manifold wrinkle red but haven´t got around to do that yet... just painted that on my coffe break one day at work... and the paintjob for the body dosent cost money just time for me... but I don´t want to do something i regret. It looks really good on cloudy days but to gray on sunny days...
                        2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)

Comment

Forgot, yes the headlight glass are some aftermarket i bought here in Sweden brand is TYC and cost like ~22£ each so... they are not oem but they do their job

Trackday:

Notice the smudge on the front right corner... first lap i took a cone
                          And when people was fueling their car with enough fuel i had filled mine with 80 liters, and instead of pulling out the caraudio i just made some bracket for the amplifiers and subwoofer (35-40kg total) Don´t have any picture on that but have also build in 6,5" speakers in the front doors with no modification on the door cards at the visible side. 1-2mm free space to the glass when having the window rolled down...
                          People was saying it wasen´t possible, I say everything is possible...
                          Last edited by Wrath; 30 March 2012, 01:01.
                          2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)

Comment

Relieved you take my comments as constructive criticism, as they were intended to be so.

Bilstein in my mind are always considered quite stiff, once you are aware of that, it’s all good.

Wheel and tyre sizes noted, thanks.

Twin twin exhaust - reply noted.

If say you’re sticking with maybe 18” winter and 19” summer wheels, and you like the look of the bigger / flash brakes, what about a bigger disc than 330mm, maybe 345mm. Easy for me to say I know.

The 323mm work perfectly fine on my 18” rims with 4 piston Porsche calipers, like yourself, just like the idea of the look of the bigger disc with Cayenne 6 piston calipers.

Wrinkle red - photos awaited before I can constructively criticise.

Vems - you’ll have couple of new life long friends from here.

Envious of the idea that you can "spray away” any imperfections in your bodywork, like I might decide to wash my bodywork of a Saturday afternoon.

Re your comment on the colour and the sunlight, don’t take it out on sunny days.

Buy an urS6+ for the sunny days.
                            Last edited by macspring; 30 March 2012, 01:50.

Comment

Ok, this is some serious work here. Really nice car with great updates! Looks thousand times nicer than my UrS4.

Keep updates coming.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                              Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                              BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                              BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Working...
                              X