Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1992 AUDI S2 Project - Keep it British with a twist.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by restricted View Post
    don't you just love getting new parts lol
    waiting on the transmission brackets now.

Hoping it arrives before end of day so I can start the surgery tomorrow.
    Issam N. Abed
    iABED Industries
    iABED Email | Facebook
    The build thread

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard-of-OD View Post
      waiting on the transmission brackets now.

Hoping it arrives before end of day so I can start the surgery tomorrow.
      Transmission brackets did not arrive so the July 13th deadline is fast approaching and basically only have the week days to get the job completed.

That being said , going to be ordering a few bits from Aron:
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carbo...01?sk=timeline

Will be converting to an AAN valve cover when I change the valve cover gasket (was replaced rather poorly) so I will get:
      - AAN timing belt cover
      - 3B radiator shroud
      - AAN coil pack cover (using the 3B plug wires).

I was searching for an Aluminum radiator and there seems to be a whole bunch on ebay from "Nissen" . Anyone ever used them? Reviews?
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/aluminum-all...609d9f&vxp=mtr

The plan right now is to use the AAF alternator bracket (2.5 TDI Eurovan accessory bracket) , convert to a MK4 power steering pump , use a 120A VR6 alternator , build my own tensioning arm using a MK4 unit and convert to Serpentine as I would really love to use the entire AAN timing belt set up and the Fluidampr.

Any thoughts on the above?
      Issam N. Abed
      iABED Industries
      iABED Email | Facebook
      The build thread

Comment

If you don't have AC you could also consider relocating the alternator to the exhaust side of the engine to make some space in front of the rad, and run with a B4/B5/C4 single stage PAS pump & vacuum servo off the OEM crank pulley. What pressure is the MK4 PAS pump rated at out of interest?
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
          If you don't have AC you could also consider relocating the alternator to the exhaust side of the engine to make some space in front of the rad, and run with a B4/B5/C4 single stage PAS pump & vacuum servo off the OEM crank pulley. What pressure is the MK4 PAS pump rated at out of interest?
          No A/C on this car (plus) .
          I really don't want to run any accessories under the exhaust manifold. I never understood why a single belt serpentine kit like what we do for the Volkswagen crowd never kicked off for the Audi guys.

Not sure what you mean by B5 single stage PAS pump + vaccuum servo? The B5 S4 pump I have here is pretty much the exact same as the MK4 pump (have not tested outlet pressure as yet but dimensionally they are same).
          Typically the MK4 KYB pumps have a base pressure of 3.5 bar (approx 50 psi) but the pump relief valve setting is @ 100 bar.
          Issam N. Abed
          iABED Industries
          iABED Email | Facebook
          The build thread

Comment

And the 2.5 TDI Accessory bracket:
            http://www.ebay.de/itm/Kompakthalter...item256e2a39c7

Searching "VW Halter" will bring up the results. You can see , similar to the MK4 and onward VW's all the accessories were on 1 bracket and 1 belt.
            i.e. A/C comp , Alternator & power steering.
            Issam N. Abed
            iABED Industries
            iABED Email | Facebook
            The build thread

Comment

No A/C on this car (plus) .
              I really don't want to run any accessories under the exhaust manifold. I never understood why a single belt serpentine kit like what we do for the Volkswagen crowd never kicked off for the Audi guys.

Not sure what you mean by B5 single stage PAS pump + vaccuum servo? The B5 S4 pump I have here is pretty much the exact same as the MK4 pump (have not tested outlet pressure as yet but dimensionally they are same).
              Typically the MK4 KYB pumps have a base pressure of 3.5 bar (approx 50 psi) but the pump relief valve setting is @ 100 bar.

Cool, 100bar is the same as the S2 pump.
              You have hydraulic steering & brake assist through a two stage hydraulic pump as standard on your 3B. If you move to a single stage pump like the MK4 one, you will need to swap the hydraulic brake servo for a vacuum servo for the brake assist. It's simpler and much cheaper to maintain than the hydro system, with a better pedal feel
              The OEM single stage pump I'm referring to as fitted to the B4, C4 & early B5 is this one:

The later B5/MK4 pump will do the job just fine, requiring some work to mount it

The C4 serpentine belt system is really bulky and would block most of the airflow to the rad, if it would even fit at all.
              The serpentine system like the one you posted above on that 4 banger looks like a nice neat and compact setup
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Cool, 100bar is the same as the S2 pump.
                You have hydraulic steering & brake assist through a two stage hydraulic pump as standard on your 3B. If you move to a single stage pump like the MK4 one, you will need to swap the hydraulic brake servo for a vacuum servo for the brake assist. It's simpler and much cheaper to maintain than the hydro system, with a better pedal feel
                Did the vaccuum servo conversion before and it was the end plan anyway as even on the 07K set up I will have to go with the single set up.
                The OEM single stage pump I'm referring to as fitted to the B4, C4 & early B5 is this one:
                This is the part that had me confused.I have only seen this pump style on B3/B4 never on a B5 (even the AEB's which to us were "early" used the KYB pump)
                The serpentine system like the one you posted above on that 4 banger looks like a nice neat and compact setup
                Thank You! Granted I make most of the pullies out of T6061 now , I am going to mock up the set up when the AAF bracket arrives this week.
                Issam N. Abed
                iABED Industries
                iABED Email | Facebook
                The build thread

Comment

Today's part list. The push is on to have this done for tomorrow morning.

- B2 4000S Drive shaft
                  - B2 4000S Rear differential diff cups (100mm) to convert 01E inner flanges from 108mm to 100mm
                  - EHW 6-speed 01E TDI gearbox
                  - 40mm spacer
                  - Hank Iroz 01E Gearbox mounts
                  - New Gearbox mounts & rear differential mounts
                  - B5 Audi S4 Shifter box + shift rods

I had both an EHW & EDU (B5 Audi S4 Gearbox) but choose to go with the EHW as it is the nicest of the TDI boxes. Same 1st , 2nd & 3rd but different 4th , 5th & 6th which would be perfect for my weekend cruising on the highway before the big transformation begins in the fall.

Really good website for gearbox codes and ratios.

http://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a4_...os_capacities/

I really need to sit down and compile a proper excel file/website for the 01E & newer gearboxes similar to what I did for the 02S & 02J crowd.
                  Issam N. Abed
                  iABED Industries
                  iABED Email | Facebook
                  The build thread

Comment

Happy 30th dude, have a good one
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Happy 30th dude, have a good one
                      Thank You! Was a good birthday!

Update:
                      - As was guessed , the clutch that was "new" that was changed in the UK some 4 years ago was infact not "new" and was on its way out...
                      #keelestproblems

The Clutch that was installed was a LUK unit and the only part # that we could pull off of it was : 324 0080 10
                      Tried finding a replacement in North America that was not performance oriented but could only find units for Dual Mass flywheels (since only the URS4 was offered here aside from the Audi 200) so ordered up an AAN DMF kit and the 3B SMF is up for sale.

Done:
                      - Installed AAN DMF + Clutch Kit + throw out bearing
                      - Machined EHW bell housing to accept S2 VR Sensors
                      - Removed Procon-10
                      - Installed C5 A6 shifter box & shortened the shifter linkages
                      - Installed 01E gearbox mounts
                      - Swaped ARV Gearbox for EHW 6-speed 01E

To be Done:
                      - install the new subframe followed
                      - install new gearbox mounts
                      - install rebuilt axles
                      enjoy the car for the rest of the summer.
                      Issam N. Abed
                      iABED Industries
                      iABED Email | Facebook
                      The build thread

Comment

Need a little help here , has anyone here actually removed the rear wing? (i.e. cut it off and made the trunk flush?) . Tried finding some photographs of how it would look and coming up short.
                        Thanks
                        Issam N. Abed
                        iABED Industries
                        iABED Email | Facebook
                        The build thread

Comment

I've never seen it, I imagine it would look like a dog with no tail.
                          The tailgate is fibreglass AFAIK so wouldn't be surprised if it is one-piece

Sounds like you've been making good progress on the 3B - we needs pics
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I've never seen it, I imagine it would look like a dog with no tail.
                            The tailgate is fibreglass AFAIK so wouldn't be surprised if it is one-piece

Sounds like you've been making good progress on the 3B - we needs pics
                            I am going to source one next week and give it a whirl.
                            Going to post up pics when I mount the wheels , give the old girl some glory...

Speaking of wheels , so I am doing the ARP stud conversion and realized that the front right hub , 3 of the 5 M14 threads are completely stripped
                            If only it was legal to commit crimes , all I could think about was what if that wheel came off on the highway going 120 km/h.

So , does anyone have a set of Audi S2 front hubs for sale?
                            Issam N. Abed
                            iABED Industries
                            iABED Email | Facebook
                            The build thread

Comment

There is a set on motorgeek in america for sale http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53663

also switching from single to duel mass flywheel you will need a spacer if you've not already got that far.

i've seen the rear spoiler removed on one of these before it didn't look right

Comment

...Speaking of wheels , so I am doing the ARP stud conversion and realized that the front right hub , 3 of the 5 M14 threads are completely stripped
                                Remove hub (do wheel bearing while you are at it), rotate holes 36 degrees and drill and tap five new M14 holes? Quicker that waiting for S2 hubs off this forum (or ebay, etc).
                                RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                                94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Working...
                                X