Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's some pics of the HVAC & Matrix Removal - hover over the pics to get the IMG number referenced below

4449 - location of electrical connections (red block wrapped in foam and 2-pin brown plug) - no need to unplug anything else
    4462 - pollen filter under the rain tray - nice biological warfare going on there
    4464 - filter removed to expose the temp sensor and 2 x mounting screws
    4467 - temp sensor removed from filter housing as the sensor needs to come away with the HVAC casing
    4468 - one screw is actually a spacer piece for the filter housing so make sure and remove that

4470 - the drain hose from bottom of evaporator inside the cabin

4471 - the vacuum hose connection in the engine bay (for recirc valve operation)
    4472 - vacuum hose where it enters cabin via restrictor grommet
    4473 - vacuum hose removed from 1-way valve in engine bay

4474 - the upper matrix mounting bolt on the bulkhead
    4478 - the lower bolt is lurking behind the brake pipes

4476 - removed the grommet for the water matrix hoses to release tension

4479 - get the ****** out
    4481 - look at all the space up there
    Attached Files
    Last edited by S2central.net; 16 May 2018, 10:05.
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

• Next target - Rear seat backs... The screws for these are secured with a lot of thread lock and consequently need a bit of effort.

Starting point for me was with rear trim cards out - so the long screwdriver was OK for me. On each rear seat back there are two screws on each side. I tackled the outside bracket first.

4489 - Philips headed #3 was my chosen weapon with extra torque provided by an extension bar - other options are available of course but good luck doing this without torque multiplication.
      4490 - I first tried gently prising the internal trim piece that appears to cover the inner mount
      4492 - Turns out the inner bracket cover simply slides off
      4493 - Exposing the inner bracket & screws - same deal - furiously tight with lots of thread lock
      4494 - Thats them out of the way

For anyone refitting seats, I would definitely recommend new screws as the original ones are well chewed during removal - I was lucky not to strip one.
      If I was doing it again, I would use a ratchet driven tool - definitely Philips #3.
      Attached Files
      Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

• Very useful pics for me as I have to replace my airbox which was removed before I even got the car. What are you doing with yours? I need one.
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I haven't fully decided on that yet, but as I won't be using aircon - I only need hot air vents to clear screen - I will probably try to source a non HVAC airbox for mine.

I actually have all the bits needed to convert this manual HVAC airbox into a digital climate control version - need to dig out all the info from another forum thread about specifics. Thats probably going to be a nicer outcome for somebody.
          Paul Nugent

Comment

• Ok, no problem. Good luck with your project and do let me know of you decide to sell. Mine was manual air con. Regards. Dave
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• been busy Paul, good to see you back at it with the spanners! Hoping to get mine MOT'd and back on the road after almost a year of it marooned on the drive and me out with back surgery

Maybe, just maybe I can enjoy it over the summer as long as I ignore the paint (cant see it inside the car anyway)
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

• Do not like the sound of that surgery at all Dave - hopefully you will find yourself upside down behind a dashboard sometime soon.

Reckon I will be looking for knee surgery if I kneel down one more time on any of the hundred evil spiky mounts & brackets on the increasingly bare floor.
                By comparison - its only mildly discomforting when I sit on the handbrake lever.
                That and those evil rear seat bolts were like a full work out session.

I seem to have the old mojo back - for a while anyway - not travelling as much lately which is great.

I might get the rest of the wiring loom out tonight. Main trouble is running out of space to keep everything - either long enough to get it sold, or squirrelled away for the big refit.
                Paul Nugent

Comment

• Nice. Knee pads at the ready. I need to find the parts first though!
                  Nothelle S2 Avant
                  Black Ur project
                  Ocianic Ur project gone
                  S2 Coupe project gone
                  Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I almost got the wiring loom removed tonight. It really is horribly installed in the factory. Has been many years since I pulled one of these. It goes broadly like this - have a camera/phone at aid your memory:

- unclip or cut every cable clamp you can get at... have an extra look as some are well buried... I found some impossible to unclip due to their orientation with such limited access
                    - 4520 - unbolt the 10mm earth bolts on each A-pillar... I had a good fight with both mine as some connectors were well bonded to the top nut - there is just enough space to get a 9mm spanner on the lug behind
                    - 4522 - while you have the 10mm socket out - unbolt the OBD connector eyelets in the main fuse box (I actually forgot this until near the end)
                    - 4512 - label any / all plugs that you are anyway unsure of - this is time consuming, but a lot less hassle than trying to rewind all the spaghetti when refitting
                    - 4513 & 4514 - carefully remove all relays in panel above drivers pedals and tease out relay blocks from the holder - they all push towards bulkhead except the ones on outer edge which need pulled towards you
                    - 4518 - unplug the coloured multi-plugs from the cabin loom where it attaches to the relay block - note the coloured plug holders push towards the bulkhead when the tabs are released
                    - 4519 - once the relay block holder is empty you can unbolt it with 8mm bolts to create a bit more working room
                    - 4515 - this releases almost all of the 'instrument loom' except for a few places where it connects towards the floor onto main loom - and a few that go up to the central electric panel (CEP) - main fusebox
                    - 4521 - shows a couple of green coloured plugs that connect up towards the sunroof and interior lights
                    - 4516 - this shows the view from inside up toward the CEP - spaghetti hell
                    - 4517 - there should be enough slack in the main loom that you can now go to the CEP and gently prise it up to gain access to the plugs underneath
                    - with a small screwdriver you can tease the edge fuse holders up and away
                    - then its 'just' a task of firmly but carefully unplugging everything attached to the CEP (or you could probably slot it down into the cabin if you prefer)
                    - 4529 - that shows the instrument loom safely removed
                    Attached Files
                    Paul Nugent

Comment

• Nothelle S2 Avant
                      Black Ur project
                      Ocianic Ur project gone
                      S2 Coupe project gone
                      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Yeah - thats what she said as well !

I need to tackle the doors next in order to get the last of interior wires removed - been absolute ages since I removed S2 door cards... I recall some hidden Allen headed bolts around the door handle

Turns out my car is slightly newer than what the old family album suggested by way of its VIN number - the VIN dates to July '93 but I have found some loom & trim parts dated deep into August, so maybe the VIN date from the database is just when the chassis got stamped by Hans und Franz in the body shop.

Anyway - the next quandary is what to do with the seats and such. The drivers seat definitely needs refurbished before its actually attractive enough looking for anyone to use in an OE rebuild/restoration or whatever. The usual drivers side bolster is worn thru 25yrs or life and 150k miles of use. I have no clue if anyone offers anything like the quattro embossed jacquard fabric in the aftermarket world. Mine are black/anthracite.

The passenger side (or LHD driver side) is pretty well perfect save for some mild age-related solar bleaching. I have no real idea what these are worth to anybody. Would be great drivers seat for an LHD car, but I don't think anyone in mainland Europe wants to be shipping seats any distance given the size and weight of the damn things.

The door cards and rear trim panels are all very clean - complete with carbon inserts - so I know they are worth something (to help fund the build) to somebody, but they are rare enough seen that I am also struggling to put a realistic price on them.

Maybe the thing to do is get some decent pics and post them on eBay with a sensible reserve price and see what happens ????
                        Paul Nugent

Comment

• Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                          .... if anyone offers anything like the quattro embossed jacquard fabric ...
                          last time I looked (more than a year ago) Audi Tradition could supply this

Comment

• Good to know - there is a chance for someone to make these seats shiny & new then. Thanks !
                            Paul Nugent

Comment

• So let’s get this straight..
                              Now that these cars have finally started to go up in value and people are returning them to standard, you’re stripping yours, selling off all the irreplaceable bits and turning it into a track slag?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                              sigpic

Comment

• haha

Tell you what Paul - strip your ABY and I'll strip my coupe quattro and we can swap shells. Mine is already stich welded and is 75kg lighter than the ABY
                                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                                Indigo ABY coupé
                                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X