Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Audi S1.5 [OEM+] - (10-valve turbo B3 Coupé)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by audicoupe2.3 View Post
    impatient ...
    Yeah sorry, It's just so time-consuming translating, and I got much more feedback on other forums, so I just forgot about this one. I'll try to get you guys up to speed later tonight/tomorrow

Originally posted by FabS6 View Post
    Oh mate.... I love this 10VT project....always have a strange love over the MC1 and MC2 engines... a lot of potential and sweetness from them. On my exB3 typ89 I made a AAN swap but I firstly wanted to make a 10VT project...just couldn't find any MCx engine. I would suggest you to buy the irozmotorsports k26 with billet wheel, it is not that expensive (take advance to ask Santa Claus for it hehe)...you could have a pretty and happy engine on your coupe! Congratulations and keep it posted!!!
    Totally agree, the 10vt is by far the coolest engine ever, I've always loved it.

We're gonna keep running stock until the registration, otherwise I cant legally drive it. And after that I will most likely start by getting rid of the K-jet

Comment

Comparisons

I picked up a new lift on Friday and spent some time in the garage again last night.
      So I thought we'd take a look at some things.

First of all, I thought we'd check out the little differences between the engines and some of the problems and their solutions.

In the turbo, the enginemount sat a little bit higher up than it does in the Coupé. So the engine mount on the side, as you can see, has a kind of an angle on him. So here you have to use the mount from the Coupé instead. Easy!

The transmission mount is different too, here you see the difference. Coupe - Turbo. This was a bit problematic, I think I have a workable solution, but there will be pictures of it when it's ready.

The thermostat housing is reversed since the turbo used the world's tightest u-bend. I will use org-coupé radiator, so I simply move over the old house.

I intend to convert the brake servo to vacum, so we take the opportunity to replace the old pump with a much more compact model

Besides this the generator sits on the other side and uses the front enginemounting as a bracket. But here we choose to move it back over where there is a bit more space.

Virtually down

Wastegate sticking up right where the battery box used to be

A tight fit!

----------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------

A couple of problems have surfaced now that we finally see the engine in the car. except those in the images above. The steering rod on one side touches against the wastegate, but we knew that already and I have two different solutions. But a problem I thought we had solved came back, and it's the drive shafts length.

I was afraid of this before, but when both engines were out I took the opportunity to measure the distance between the inner knuckels, and it was the same on both cars. Happy with it so I saw the problem as completed until yesterday.

The distance between the axles may be the same, but it seems that the turbo-box is offset about 2-3cm to one side. Which naturally makes one shaft too long, and the other one too short.

My only plan right now is to remove those on the turbo and hope that I can mix and match a bit.
      The next step is to try to find the correct length from any other model, but that feels kinda tough given that I already bought other CV joints to the stock shafts to get them to fit in turbo hubs.

Oh well, everything can't be easy.
      In the coming week and next weekend I'll try to fix the brackets for the gearbox and the tie rod so that I can get the engine bolted down.

----------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------

[GOOGLE TRANSLATE WITH A QUICK OVERVIEW]

Comment

you're making good progress, keep up the good work

one question: would you sell the taillights to me?

regards
        bene
        1990 Audi 100 2.2 Turbo Quattro with VEMS, K24 2480, ported and milled 10v head

Comment

Originally posted by morgenlatte View Post
          you're making good progress, keep up the good work

one question: would you sell the taillights to me?

regards
          bene
          I would've, but a couple of weeks ago I reversed in to the back of it with a King-Cab, so there's not much left of them

Comment

Good to see your making progress with this project, I kinda wish I had saved my MC2 engine for a future project.
            1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
            1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
            1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
            1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Tempo ...

This week there has not a lot happening, but a few steps forward was made.

First and foremost, we took hold of the steering rod. A problem I knew from the beginning, but not how big it would be.
              It was not so bad, so I chose to heat up and bend it instead of spending 2k on a pre-bent one from the States. Worked out pretty good! Think it'll do the trick, but difficult to guarantee without a test drive. But now the engine atleast sit properly without grinding against it.

And so we started messing with the transmission mount, but I just had time to do the front. It took so much time trying to figure out how I would even start.

The bracket should also be welded together at the top ...

I was going to try to get that bracket done during the week so I can bolt down the engine and see "exactly" how it will sit. Since there some surrounding parts that I can not begin to fit before the engine is properly mounted.

Comment

Successes ...

Last month was lackluster to say the least ...

In late November, it was mostly a lot of cleaning / organizing and work in the garage and unfortunately none of the car. Then came December and we did after much consideration a new planning of the project so that we had targets to aim for!

The first weekend disappeared because of job, others due to non- car - interested friends , then there was christmas shopping and in the "between days", there was simply no energy. Things that happen, but now it seems the ship is starting to straight up again, and I thought about going through a bit quickly what the thoughts are right now.

First and foremost, the second transmission mount is still not in place. But it SHALL be done during next week.
                When fitted and adjusted it's time to pull the engine again and replace the oil pan.

As you can see, the old pan has an indentation on the side. Why? To fit the radiator.
                The turbo was a little wider, so I guess they just moved the bracket for radiator instead, but that luxury we do not have here!

I shall also be cutting a bit in the inner fenders. I was going to use the old air filter box but with the new fuel head to both be able to use those old brackets and retain the original look. But because of how the intake pipes will go to the IC and etc., the entire box need to be moved out a bit.
                The idea is to simply cut, bend back, and then weld the gap around the air filter.

Many people tend to use ur-quattro fuel heads, on the older GT Coupe anyway. I doubt that would work in my car, and this is additionally a good deal cheaper.

When all this is done we fit enough to hang the electrical harness provisionally so that we can do a test start and make sure everything works as intended.

Then, to get everything rolling is a story of its own
                But hopefully we can take a little trip before the summer ends

Comment

Hahaha, google translate, my rutine in this forum, but i try learn is good to practice
                  Step 1: setup. <==
                  Step 2: potentiation.
                  Step 3: enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by zafra View Post
                    Hahaha, google translate, my rutine in this forum, but i try learn is good to practice
                    Yeah, it's not so much about knowlage but more about lazyness
                    I write these things in Swedish for another forum, and it just takes to long to write it again in English, so I pump them through Google translate and just fix the most blatantly broken sentences

Comment

Nystart

To get some steam back on the project we broke the plan a bit and janked out the engine again .

A trained eye can see that the "new" pan is in place. With the indentation on the side for the radiator.
                      Then if you want you can even transfer the little " sloshing - plastic " around the oil strainer . The turbo was a little longer .

After that, I slipped a bit with the cutter

But as you can see I have drawn little more that needs to be ... Persuaded
                      In the end, the air filter is moved out almost a decimeter.

You could say that there is little less space in a Coupé than an Audi 100

Comment

Saturday-Snooze

Took a trip to the garage during the day, but unfortunately I did not accomplish everything that I wanted done. So I think we'll take an extra trip tomorrow.
                        Anyway, I mounted the generator and downpipe, but after that, it was mostly just preparing for other stuff.

Some moving around stuff in the garage, shoveled the front gate, put a little temporary primer on small items and did some thinking. Mostly about the drive shafts.

A quick overview gives me hope that with a little luck I can mix and match together something useful in the correct lengths. But one thing at a time, it makes no sense to fix a driveline if the engine does not start

Comment

!

Comment

You're making good progress.
                            I take it next on the list is to weld in some plate steel to fill the gaps in the inner wing?

Comment

Originally posted by Nuvo View Post
                              You're making good progress.
                              I take it next on the list is to weld in some plate steel to fill the gaps in the inner wing?
                              Pretty much.
                              It needs some fine-tuning and test-fitting first thou

Comment

Another step

Last week / weekend I did some tinkering. Was so damn cold in the garage

First and foremost is the air/fuel-box moved in as much as possible without redesigning the entire fender
                                I think it will work, but I dare not weld anything before I get the engine down and fitted.

Then I trimmed a bit on the gearbox so that I can fit a wrench behind the bracket to hold the nut.
                                Very professionally cut if I do say so myself

That bracket must still be welded together properly, and I actually have the second bracket lying around, but it must be fitted a bit later when the engine goes down again.

We also started to put in the electrics on very provisional basis for a startup.
                                So the next step is to get that plugged in, which I defenitivly am not looking forward to.

After that, the engine should be dropped down again, and we have to make some fuel-lines and fit some pipes.
                                Then it is probably time to see if we can put life into the corpse again!

Comment

Working...
                                X