Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im gonna do this now because I'm sure it will be deserved

Comment

• Thanks all, I will try and keep you updated with plenty of pics.

Today I got just two hours with the car, the whole time went with carefully marking and gently taking out all the wiring looms. It's still not finished.

Comment

• Take lots and LOTS of photos they will be a life saver when you've forgotten how it all goes back together

Comment

• Hyvältä näyttää, gonna follow this thread even closer now nice with an garage also !
          Project Audi s2 coupé 1996

http://http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80796]

Comment

• I dropped the coolant, removed the radiator and ABS pump to get more access to the bulkhead. It looks filthy with years of spilled oil, coolant and dirt mixed together, but I've not found any severe rust damages in the engine bay (at least not yet)

20240301_181654.jpg

But all the wiring looms are finally out! Some of the looms protective sleeve had gotten very hard and was hard to pull through the bulkhead but got there in the end.

20240304_201117.jpg

I found this at the ignition switch connector. Somebody has clearly been here before me This will be fixed later.

20240301_181804.jpg

Next up is getting the pedal box out, removing the headliner and the start removing the old sound deadening from the floor using dry ice.

Comment

• Today I had somewhat productive day. First of all I took the pedal box out and when turning it over in my hands I managed to break the gas pedal Luckily tradition has the pedal in stock.

20240305_181744.jpg

I also gathered all the looms in a storage box. Thats a huge ammount of wiring

20240305_172538.jpg

Then it was time to remove the headlining. I used a couple of boxes and an old towel for support. Wifes hairdryer came in handy when softerning the glue.

image_89079.jpg

I also made this plastic scraper. Plastic could not take the heat from the hairdryer so it has a nice wawy shape now.

20240306_135447.jpg

This cover sorrounding the sunroof opening gave me little head scratching how to get it out, but a little search on the forum and a look in the family album confirmed that it held in by clips and just needed a little persuasion to make it loose.

20240306_145131.jpg

Headlining out

20240306_164327.jpg

Also took the sunroof out

IMG-20240306-WA0005.jpg

Before leaving the garage I thought of breaking loose the crank bolt. I tried a little dangerous looking system to hold the locking tool in place. It did not work. I just realised that I have a tool for AAN engines and the the correct tool for ABY should hold against the snub mount. I have used this tool before but I can't remember how I made it work. I think I should be able modify this tool to suit.

20240306_202049.jpg

Next I'll try to modify the locking tool and loose the bolt before taking the engine out. After that I will have to figure out where to get dry ice in here and also prepare to take all the glued windows out. I also need to start thinking how to remove and replace the rear quarter panels.

Comment

• I used heater gun wooden scraper from the kitchen and some Acetone. I have a spare locking Adapter if yo want I can send it to you.

Gesendet von meinem CPH2371 mit Tapatalk

Comment

• Flip the tool to the other side and support on the axle stand. When the bolt has started to move you can return to TDC before fully loosened.
                  Nothelle S2 Avant
                  Black Ur project
                  Ocianic Ur project gone
                  S2 Coupe project gone
                  Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                    Flip the tool to the other side and support on the axle stand. When the bolt has started to move you can return to TDC before fully loosened.
                    You beat me to it Dave.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by rxl View Post
                      I used heater gun wooden scraper from the kitchen and some Acetone. I have a spare locking Adapter if yo want I can send it to you.

Gesendet von meinem CPH2371 mit Tapatalk
                      Thanks for the offer, I will try to modify my tool first.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                        Flip the tool to the other side and support on the axle stand. When the bolt has started to move you can return to TDC before fully loosened.
                        I tried this but it seems like the whole car lifts before the bolt comes loose. I'll have try again next time I'm at the garage.

Comment

• Well the crank bolt was easy enough when I modified the AAN tool that i have.

Recently I've been working on replacing the rear quarter panels, this is one of the reasons:

20240309_181255 (1).jpg

The sunroof drains right above the vent hole. All the water that exits the drain pipe drips onto the vent and despite it having a seal, water finds it's way inside and corrodes the bottom of the trunk. I have ordered new drain pipes and if they are long enough I will extend them past the vent hole.

The right side quarter came off. It took several hours since it's first time for me ever doing this.

20240410_145504.jpg

20240410_145457.jpg

The outer metal mudguard has a rust hole in it. My original plan was to replace the whole mudguard, but it would get too invasive for me to do. What I'm going to do instead is cut the rusted parts out and cut a replacement piece from the new mudguard.

20240410_145514.jpg

Comment

• Impressive work. That's no small feat cutting that out and it looks like you have done a neat job. I cut out a rear quarter for a friend who wanted one. Took ages and a dozen thin cutting discs. Strangely, he never collected it and it's still sitting here
                            Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Thanks Dave. I used a small 10x330mm belt sander and a drill in places where I could drill through the welds. I have already used six or seven p40 sanding belts and the left side is not even completely out yet. The belts wear out pretty fast.

After both quarter panels are off, I have to drop the rear axle plus fuel tank to safely remove the left and right trunk bottom pieces and then I can copefully start welding new parts back in

Comment

• Today I had a somewhat productive day. Driver side rear quarter panel out. Same rust issues as on the other side. The bottom piece of the boot is little annoying to remove because the spot welds are in tight spots. I wonder how they welded this in the factory?

20240411_152129.jpg

20240411_152154.jpg

20240411_152201.jpg

Rear subframe together with the diff got removed. I'm starting to run out of space in the garage

20240411_183402.jpg

The rear muffler heat shield is totally rusted. It just crumbler when you touch it. I think I will make a new one from aluminum heat shielding sheet.

20240411_185046.jpg

Also took the fuel tank out.

20240411_192723.jpg
                                Last edited by Antsa; 11 April 2024, 20:57.

Comment

Working...
                                X