S2 Avant -93

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ​Deleted due to missing photos
    Last edited by Antsa; 21 January 2024, 21:16.

Comment

• Cant see the pictures

Gesendet von meinem CPH2371 mit Tapatalk

Comment

• It seems that way that I can see the photos on my device but I tried on wifes phone and couldn't see them either. I'll have to repost tomorrow

Comment

• We've been having quite cold weathers here so there was no working outside on the car. To pass the time bought a used starter to disassemble and rebuild. This is not too sensible (money wise) since a new Bosch unit is still available for around 150 euros but its no fun buying new parts, is it?

Here's the starter that I bought

​
          20240116_120033.jpg

20240116_120052.jpg
          ​

Took it apart. The dust from the carbon brushes inside the cover is messy and gets everywhere. I was little surprised to find out that there are no rolling bearings inside a starter but just bronze bushings instead.

​ 20240116_141205.jpg

These small rubber pieces hold the outer planetary gear to the plastic housing. These were past their best and had cracks.

​ 20240118_125404.jpg

20240118_125411.jpg

​

As they are not supplied with a rebuild kit and I could not find them anywhere else, I drew them in cad and send out to a friend to 3D print them. To a little surprise the first batch was a good fit straight away.

​ 20240119_144033.jpg

Every piece got cleaned and the aluminum front part was glass bead blasted and treated with acf50. Now waiting for AutoDoc to up their game and ship me the parts that I ordered two weeks ago, then I can start the rebuild

20240121_190550.jpg

Comment

• I reposted everything. Are the pics now ok?

Comment

• I can see them now. Nice work
              Nothelle S2 Avant
              Black Ur project
              Ocianic Ur project gone
              S2 Coupe project gone
              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Thanks Dave! I've been enjoying your Ur thread, what a fast progress!

Comment

• I also managed to break the luggage boot handle during the cold weathers. The boot door was frozen, I pulled too hard on the handle and managed to break it. I made a little fixture from threaded rod plus nuts and washers to keep the broken piece aligned when welding. However it turns out that the handle is made from somekind of unweldable aluminum. Suspecting this would happen I had already ordered a used handle but they are pretty expensive with 100e price tag

IMG-20240118-WA0000.jpg

Both my original and the replacement handle rubber gaskets have little tears like this one. I went to local industrial store to look for some rubber superglue but they were out of stock and and had to ordered.

20240123_164918.jpg

Autodoc has finally shipped my order so once it arrives I can start putting the starter back together

Comment

• So my attempt to glue the tears on the boot handle gasket did not work, the glue just won't stick. They went back as is.

But autodoc finally delivered

20240126_104043.jpg

New carbon brushes plus solenoid

20240126_104417.jpg

However I'm not too happy with the solenoid. It says made in china, it is missing the plunger, no markings of the terminals on the backside and it did not come in a Bosch sealed box (could this be a counterfeit item?). So I'm going to make this one a spare and reuse the old solenoid.

20240126_110928.jpg

20240126_110945.jpg
                    Last edited by Antsa; 26 January 2024, 15:33.

Comment

• Now that I have all the parts that I need, I could start the rebeuild. This is a kit from tradition.

20240126_135423.jpg

Gears got greased

20240126_140244.jpg

20240126_141242.jpg

There is a stopping sleeve on the shaft that prevents the starter gear going too far. The sleeve is kept in place with a lock ring which lives inside the sleeve. It was a little tricky to get in place

20240126_142508.jpg

I used a puller to gently lift the sleeve in place. As the sleeve slides upward it compresses the lock ring and finally snaps in place

20240126_143701.jpg

The lock ring inside the sleeve

20240126_143837.jpg

Brushes in place

20240126_145622.jpg

Whole starter assembled. The black casing propably needs painting but I don't have access to a spray booth so it will have to wait for summer. Also the heat shield for the solenoid could benefit from cleaning but fortunately it's easy to take out if it bothers me. I also quickly tested the starter and it worked fine.

20240126_151209.jpg

Comment

• After seven years of S2 ownership I finally rented myself a garage to get the project really started.

20240225_183540.png

The interior is almost taken out, the headlining still needs to be removed.

20240225_183553.jpg

Before starting on the headlining I'm going to have to carefully remove all of this wiring loom mess

20240225_183617.jpg

Comment

• Wow looks like something big is going to happen. What are the Plans?

Comment

• My plan is currently the following

Remove whole interior, engine, gearbox and subframes

Replace rear quarter panels and left and right bottom of the trunk

Strip whole bottom of the car to bare metal, repair possible corrosion damages and spray new underseal

New paint

Soundproofing the interior

Strip engine and rebuild to make ~450hp

Strip gearbox, replace 1-2 shift collar and synchro and all seals

Put everything back together

Honestly I'm a little terrified since it is going to be a major task, but I've tried my best to get all the information possible to successfully get everything done.

I'll try and make updates regularly

Comment

• Wowzers! That's no small undertaking. I'm sure I speak for others when I say that I look forward to reading about your progress in this mamoth endeavour.
                              Bon chance mon ami!

Comment

• Time for some Popcorn.. Wil be a long way but worth it

Comment

Working...
                                X