No announcement yet.

VEMS and TurboSmart Solenoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not really that much to tell. We hooked it up in dual port (the setup where it does not went to athmosphere) and he (my tuner) then had to tweak the boost map a bit. Think he had to turn it down a bit.

However we had a small problem of boost building up in the first couple of runs. So we switched to the setup where it wents to atmosphere doing gear changes.

However the build up of boost was due to the fact that the Eboost2 manual has an error where it labels the ports 1-3 wrong on the solenoid. I just discovered this recently.
    Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

what do you mean jonas?

port 1: from turbo
      port 2: to top chamber of wastegate
      port 3: to atmosphere(or back to maf)

this is how i use it now.

what does the manual say?

Comment

Originally posted by GazzaG60 View Post
        limitied thinking on it paul and dual should just work. you dont tell eboost its in a different config. its to do with the routing of the hoses to it.

should just work and hopefully stop creep a little.
        It might work without any remapping, by way of adaptation - my intuition is that it will build the same target boost for lower duty cycle - so it *might* cause boost spikes (or lots of fluttering) until it has adapted...
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

excellent smithers.......

91 S2 coupé - RIP
          98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Your setup is right but there has been some problems with the eboost2 manual it shows an incorrect diagram of how to connect the solenoid.

We also discussed it in your thread

Correct setup is one of these two choices:

Dual port Method 1 - Correct version

When OFF air will flow turbo to bottom part of WG since port 1 is closed. At the same time port 2-3 will be open and wenting the air from the upper WG chamber to athmosphere.

When ON air will flow from port 1-2 and port 3 will be closed.

Dual port Method 2 - Correct version

When OFF air will flow from port 2-3 which means that the lower WG chamber wont see any air at all. Now in my understanding this is bad since it can potentially overspin the turbo?

When ON air will flow from port 1-2 to the upper WG champer.

In the Eboost2 manual the diagram for the Dual port method 2 is wrong. I have attached pictures from the Eboost2 manual v. 3.16:

Method 1 in eboost2 manual - The same as method 1 above - Correct Version works the same way.

Method 2 in eboost2 manual - WRONG VERSION

When OFF air will flow from port 2-3 and actually this is safer then method 2 mentioned above. Since this will keep turbo at spring pressure if solenoid fails or stays OFF.

However when ON air will flow from port 1-2 which is the same as the method 2 mentioned above. However when it closes again the air will be trapped between the upper WG chamber and port 1. The air don't have anywhere to go and I believe this is what gave me boost spikes. I mean when you start in 3rd gear it is ok but when you shift to 4th gear your once again trying to put more air into the upper chamber.

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
            what do you mean jonas?

port 1: from turbo
            port 2: to top chamber of wastegate
            port 3: to atmosphere(or back to maf)

this is how i use it now.

what does the manual say?
            Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

i see what you mean!

Comment

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
                2 shops can provide the solenoid.

1) USA: http://www.frightprops.com/FrightPro...ID=A-0013-0082 with a total cost of $42.45 (shipping is included and is $15.95)
                2) UK: sales@pneusol.co.uk distributor of mac valves in the UK with costs of 26GBP+9GBP for shipping within the uk(more expensive)

i just placed the order for one from the US. the only difference i can find is the wattage on these solenoids, being 6.2 on the turbosmart one rather than 5.4 that are on the mac original ones,but i believe that it wont make a difference.
                Have you compared the two valves yet to check if the voltage difference makes a difference to how it responds?
                91 S2 coupé - RIP
                98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

no i havent had the chance, as i need to order in some stuff to make a connector on the new valve.

i suspect though that the difference will not cause any issues bo, and you could get the one directly from MAC. I wouldnt have problems tuning the valve with vems,so i dont see a reason why it cannot be done with motronic.

Comment

Thanks, ill get one ordered up then.

Where did you source the connectors from?

Ill report back with how this runs on motronic.
                    91 S2 coupé - RIP
                    98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

The 1/4" Orifices valve from frightprops (first one on the page) operates @ 12v / 8.5w. Im going to order one of each and matching fittings from hosefit to see if they run differently.
                      91 S2 coupé - RIP
                      98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Originally posted by s2_bo View Post
                        The 1/4" Orifices valve from frightprops (first one on the page) operates @ 12v / 8.5w. Im going to order one of each and matching fittings from hosefit to see if they run differently.
                        Links?

Comment

yes that is slightly different in wattage, but i had the mac part number which i went for, that is why ended up getting the 5.4w one. try it out though,it should work
                          i cannot find the shop i bought them from, but i found a different shop that i will get the new connector to plug the second solenoid
                          http://www.thetoolboxshop.com/0-012-...f-1-2415-p.asp
                          i used hosefit.co.uk for brass fittings

Comment

http://www.frightprops.com/FrightPro...ID=A-0013-0082

Item: 0586-0022 - 12
                            Electrical requirements: 12v 8.5w

Item: 0586-0316 - 12
                            Electrical requirements: All voltages require 5.4w

So the 0586-0022 valve which has 1/4" Orifices and therefore needs this (1/4" BSPT x 5/16" Brass Hose Tail)

Uses different wattage then the 0586-0316 valve which has 1/8" Orifices and there needs this (1/8" BSPT x 5/16" Brass Hose Tail)

I have ordered up both so will report back.
                            91 S2 coupé - RIP
                            98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

found the shop i ordered the last time

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/680

Comment

I fitted the wiring on these two valves today, They are basically the same only that the larger one operates at a higher wattage and can handle 150psi, a bit ott.

I will test them both once the clutch is fitted and the car is able to make boost again.

IMG_1914.jpg
                                91 S2 coupé - RIP
                                98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Working...
                                X