Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking on the table i must say that on the high boost areas there is more timing than my map. On cruise there is less. I cannot say anything more as a stroker engine seems to have different characteristics than the oem.

Comment

on ait i dont think it makes much difference to be honest. heatsoak is the issue so although i feel the air is similar temp the surrounding areas are not. its harder to get good accurate air with the stock manifold i think is the issue.
      the bigger wagner cooler helps when the boost and turbo flow is higher than stock but on stock unit i feel the cooler is more than adequate.

the timing on a stroker will be different but the biggest factor is turbo size and boost pressures. depending on turbo and where its "on" will depend on peak ign values. ie i know vas has a peak lower than me on ign on boost as his turbo drops away sooner. i can see this in the timing map. i can hold more aggressive mid range timing for longer too as i have more lag.

what must be rememebered is the sunco 94 in the states is better than our 99 ron tesco. so more timing.

Comment

You should see Pnanassy tuned stroker running over 50 degrees on cruise and over 40 coming on boost, devil car!

Comment

sounds good. not a stroker expert but presume tall block and rod length help. pist at tdc longer?

is that the reasoning?

Comment

on what fuel though and what compression?

mine is a bit more advanced than stock as my compression is still high. i tried reducing a bit some areas above 100kpa just to see if it makes the car run any differently. lamda is now between 1.08 and 1.02.

Comment

I don't have the full details I know it was a 30r doing 2 bar and 1000cc injectors, have to see if Pete will share the spec, this if from last xmas so I imagine the car will be flying by now.

Comment

im not after copying it or anything. engines are my main interest in cars tbh.

im interested really in what allows an engine to be more able than the next so to speak.

im running skimmed pistons vas so lower cr but still only really the same timing as you. our timing is very similar tbh yours a little more worked on i feel. i may have degree more here and there.

Comment

but on that note gary, mine is on feel of the engine, and i may well be away from a proper dyno torque figure. I presume that i know my engine feel quite a lot for the 5 years i use the car, so it may not be that far off, but nevertheless maybe once the new ecu comes in i might just have a dyno session to prove me wrong or right!

Comment

Originally posted by GazzaG60 View Post
                    im not after copying it or anything. engines are my main interest in cars tbh.

im interested really in what allows an engine to be more able than the next so to speak.

im running skimmed pistons vas so lower cr but still only really the same timing as you. our timing is very similar tbh yours a little more worked on i feel. i may have degree more here and there.
                    You've misunderstood, I don't have the details of the car, Pete has them he told me about it when I asked about his stroker tuning experiences last year and this car came up and he said the timing was unreal on it.

Comment

isnt timing also related to cams as well?

Comment

what i mean vas is you have spent more time on yours than i have with mine. id expect yours is a better tune. only recently have i started to make changes again after a year or so without any. i can feel the differences. im gonna let a mate drive it after to see what he thinks. its hard to be subjective about tiny mods over the period of 2 weeks making 1 bigger change especially when they are your own mods.

mines done on feel also and not dyno. i found that the dyno i had on 1.25bar was very smooth typical big turbo. i had to terminate before it began really. 5k 321hp 325lbsft. now 1.9bar to 7500

i realised that jamo. no problem. whats your take in brief on stroker timing against stock. why does it seem that they can take so much more

Comment

i see
                          ultimatelly though we need to take some cars on them to judge better and give us a baseline esp now that in vems you can modify the timing retard as you like.

Comment

i agree. in fact i have been trying to track a cheap session down lately. there is only so much we can do.
                            its hard to read the gauges at wot so im happy to see the rollers.

i also think i have flow issues on the stock head over 6500. seems to drop off a little. maybe needs a boost controller tweak.

Comment

The problem with strokers no 2 are a like to base mark, most are running different piston sizes, CR and rod lengths and cams and then some tall deck some short deck.

Having seen some examples Pete has shown me they can run way more timing than the 2.2 from his tuning, I believe his were running 7A cams

Comment

Hi,

my comp. ratio is about 8.5 - 8.6:1

Now i have lowered it to ~8.4...

I need about 10 days to get the engine start.
                                Than i retard the ign. 3°-4° at high boost and cyl.selectiv on 3. and 4. 1-2° and will see what happens...

Have someone a workable knock setting with VEMS ?

When not, than i will order a Phormula Pro Tuning solution....

Thomas

Comment

Working...
                                X