Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bomb is down in the space behind the rad fan Karl. Just have a look down there, you'll see it.
    PAS fluid with regards to the bomb, no brake fluid involved directly with it.

Jase..
    2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
    2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
    1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Cheers matey. So how does it work and connect to the brakes then?
      Cheers
      Karl
      Oz (in the engine bay now scratching my head )
      Oct 93 build MY 94 ABY Kingfisher Blue Audi S2 with MD147 turbo :mischeif:u SOLD
      Audi 90 Quattro 20V 1989 7A
      Audi TTRS 2010 APR stage 2 +
      Triumph 675 Street Triple R

Comment

I don't pretend to understand it fully, but the bomb provides pressure to the servo with hydraulic fluid. You have a feed and return line from the servo.
        When replacing the bomb, no bleeding of the brake fluid is needed as the accumulators circuit isn't directly connected to it.
        I've only observed one being changed, well, I got roped in to a certain degree, but not actually changed one solely on my own.

Jase..
        2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
        2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
        1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Karl the bomb sits on the high pressure line from the PAS pump to the brake servo and effectively "pushes back" against the pressure of the hydraulic circuit.
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Ahh
            Great. Thanks guys. Got it now
            Cheers
            Karl
            Oz
            Oct 93 build MY 94 ABY Kingfisher Blue Audi S2 with MD147 turbo :mischeif:u SOLD
            Audi 90 Quattro 20V 1989 7A
            Audi TTRS 2010 APR stage 2 +
            Triumph 675 Street Triple R

Comment

hello

i have 2 used bombs at home, can someone tell me if there is posibility to test them if they are ok, not mounted to a car?
              S2 limo

Comment

Originally posted by Jas11n View Post
                I don't pretend to understand it fully, but the bomb provides pressure to the servo with hydraulic fluid. You have a feed and return line from the servo.
                When replacing the bomb, no bleeding of the brake fluid is needed as the accumulators circuit isn't directly connected to it.
                I've only observed one being changed, well, I got roped in to a certain degree, but not actually changed one solely on my own.

Jase..
                It's really easy to change with the rad out, with the rad in the car access would be from underneath for a few bolts.

Nothing really tricky just access

Comment

Does anyone know if I can fit an ABY bomb to an 3B?
                  Many thanks,
                  Costan.
                  sigpic

Comment

only very early 3Bs were different, so yes maybe. If goes by chassis number.

Check Here

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                    sigpic

Comment

IIRC there are two types, one has a round top on the housing, the other type has a square top... round top is the earlier type, square one is later type

AFAIK its just the size of the banjo fitting thats different - if you're going from one type to the other for whatever reason, you'll need to change the hydraulic hose from the pump too - BTDT

HTH
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I'm going to be doing this job on my 2.6 4b this weekend as my brakes have been piss poor for ages now. after new rear calipers, refurbed some 2.8 fronts, discs allround, new fluid and flexis. The bomb is the only thing I can think of changing now as the "!" Light stayes on for ages on start up. Is there anything special I need to do when fitting the new bomb? Or is it just bolt off bolt on? Any bleeding of the hydraulic or brake fluid needed? Also I'm in the market for some new pads, any recommendations?

Comment

no bleeding required, the system is self bleeding, although it is a good time to flush and renew the hydraulic fluid. Once you've fitted the new bomb and topped up the fluid run the engine and turn the steering lock to lock a few times, this will bleed out any air bubbles.

I'd drain the fluid first or you will end up with G002000 all over you, the car and your driveway / garage once you crack the fittings off the bomb - its the lowest point in the system The rubber mounts for the bomb bracket will probably want replacing they normally disintegrate when you try to remove them.
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

!!!!

Discharge bomb first!!

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/bombrepl.html

Even bad bombs hold pressure, discharge first by pumping pedal with engine off.
                            05 Allroad
                            05 Seat Alhambra

Comment

for this warning sign in the morning, while the brakes working adequately, i would first do another much cheaper thing. The 2 bolts that bolt the high pressure hose going from the pump to the bomb, both have very tiny orifices and some meshes. Try removing them and cleaning them up before going for another bomb. It may elminate the morning warning sign and keep the bomb for good while longer.

Comment

Brilliant! Thanks for the help guys much appreciated. Shall give it a whirl this weekend. Any opinions on brake pads?

Comment

Working...
                                X