This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by URquattroGus View Post
    Excelent work!! Do you have anyphotos? This is what i have thought about doing to my quattro for some time, no doubt it will be different again!
    Thanks....it all came to how to mount the handbrake on the hub and then I discovered Will's creation for his racing Audi 80 and that was a major part of the puzzle solved. Which came first chicken or egg???
    2001 996 C4 - Being renovated
    1994 ABY Coupe - "Das Smaragd RS2+ Coupe" - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
      John,

Thanks for sharing. In the first .pdf is there a typo with the size of the RS2 rear disc, it states it as "290"mm, should it be "299"mm ?

I presume the main motivation was to have matching front and rear 996 calipers on S2 5 x 112 pcd hubs ?

I have the rear B5 kit from Quattro Corner, also sized at 300mm, while mine are silver, and don't colour match the front red Brembos, they did bolt straight on, with no wheel bearing, powder coating, or drilling and tapping issues.

I'm go to redo the fronts in silver, or do the front and the rear in matching black.

Another method is to change over to RS2 hubs and discs when doing the front brakes at the oputset, although then new rims are needed, and the RS2 handbrake, ime, is never very satisfactory.

On reflection, only the first bit of my post is of any help.

Kind regards.
      Thanks.....I have corrected the file.

As for motivation, there were a few reasons: -
      1. My rear calipers were goosed and I did not want to just replace like for like or go with the S4 conversion
      2. Fixed calipers are far superior IMHO to floating ones
      3. The handbrake part can be susceptible to ceasing and difficult to adjust as was the case with mine
      4. The symmetry of the rear caliper was appealing: after all they came of the same car - the 996

As regards colour, I decided originally to stick to black, which was the colour of the calipers originally (modest sort of bloke you see ) but then i thought b***er it, i have spent so much time on this project I'm having them Porsche red!

Cheers

JB

Comment

Night night

I'm off to bed...

Tomorrow I hope to post how I connected the calipers hydraulically and mechanically.

Thanks for watching!

Comment

Rear Big Brakes Upgrade

Sounds very good
          Will deffo look in to this but at the moment just ordered everything for fronts first
          Danny
          www.dnaautocare.co.uk

Comment

Great write up, cheers for sharing that with us
            Cheers'en, AndyC
            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Excellent really good info. Thanks

Comment

Installation 5

For the hydraulic connection, screw in a male-to-male fitting into the 996 calipers and nip tight. Screw the Goodridge hose onto the end of the brake hard line that is mounted on the car and nip tight. The hose is a Goodridge part ZZHV0440-001C (bespoke build from Vagparts old catalogue - RIP!) but this works just fine with a male-male adaptor straight into the caliper. It is actually the same part as the RS2 front flexi hose that connects into the hardline to the front caliper.

Here's a picture - I got mine from Merlin Motorsport at Castle Combe: -

Goodridge hoses.jpg

Screw on the 996 caliper onto the Goodridge hose and nip tight. Then mount the calipers with the bolts (N 100 436 02 - M12 x 1.50 x 65 also from the RS2 front brakes) using your favourite thread lock compound.

You should have this: -

View from the outside

Calipers mounted.jpg

View from the inside

Hose into back of caliper.jpg

View from the front

View from front.jpg

Comment

Installation 6

Remove the coupe handbrakes as these are too short. Here are the shorter coupe and longer avant cables. Both avant cables are the same length whereas the coupe ones are slightly different lengths. For information the other item in the picture is one of the exhaust heat shields that fit under the transmission tunnel.

Coupe and avant cables.jpg

Take the avant handbrake cable as it comes (with plastic protectors) and you will need to remove 100mm of the sheath. This can effectively be done at either end of the cable but I chose to do this at the caliper end. This operation was done for me by a friend of a friend but as I understand it, it involved marking up the cable with tape then using a Dremel or similar tool making a circular cut around the sheath. After that a cut was made along the length of the cable to the fitting at the end. The fitting was heated up gently to release the sheath and the fitting put around the new end of the sheath.

Remove the rubber grommets from the coupe cables. I found this needed some manipulation to warm the grommets up as well as some rubber compound (or washing up liquid) and then fit the grommets to the avant cables. These will be used to locate the cables in the metal brackets where the coupe cables located.

Comment

Installation 7

Fit the handbrake lever ends of the cables to the balance bar and slacken off the nut for adjustment later. This is not a great shot but you should be able to make out the balance bar and nut as well as one of the cables. The holes on the bracket that is mounted on the transmission tunnel where the cable fitting needs to fit require to be enlarged to enable the fitting to seat correctly. The clip from the coupe can be used on the avant cable to secure the cable to the bracket.

Handbrake cable 1.jpg

Comment

Installation 8

Route the cables backwards: -

Handbrake cable 2.jpg

Route the right cable through the bracket at the rear of the middle silencer box using the grommet, which was where the cable has additional thickness for protection. Note that the cable routes over the rear diff arms and then underneath the driveshaft.

Handbrake cable 3.jpg

Comment

Installation 9

Do the same with the left cable and route it underneath the driveshaft. Then make two clips out of thin sheet aluminium and fix them with a nut and bolt in order to hold the cable to the subframe: -

Handbrake cable 4.jpg

and here is the right hand cable: -

Handbrake cable 5.jpg

Route the cable around the subframe to the caliper and round the pulley. You will need to compress the spring of the handbrake to fit the end of the cable in and I needed to trim the rubber cable flexible dust shields so that they did not catch in the pulley wheel: -

Handbrake cable 6.jpg

Finally, you will need to adjust the handbrake cable at the lever end using the nut, and bleed the brakes. That's it for the installation!

Comment

Originally posted by DNA-S2 View Post
                          Sounds very good
                          Will deffo look in to this but at the moment just ordered everything for fronts first
                          Once you get them on...you'll want more

Good luck with your upgrade

Comment

How close are the bolts to the disc for the handbrake set up?

Comment

Very good info. Iv been wanting to do this upgrade since i read your thread on it but wasn't sure where to get the handbrake brkts from since you said they were your own design. If Kev Bambridge makes them then Im going to go for it to match my Gt3 front's.
                              I already have the calipers from the same car i had the front's from the guy wouldn't split them and £500 for the lot including the Disc's was a steal . I sold the Gt3 disc's on for £150 so now good excuse to fit the rear's

Again thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by simon20vq View Post
                                How close are the bolts to the disc for the handbrake set up?

I'd have to get the vernier gauge out but they sit well within the "hat" part of the disc.

Cheers

JB

Comment

Working...
                                X