This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice write up. A few questions now:

- are bambridges brackets m10 mount on the dust shield same as yours?

- do they still need shimmed out like yours at the top?

- how much are they?

I'm upgrading the fronts on my typ85 90 with 996s but standard s2s on that back for now but I might drill and tap the holes for this in the future while I'm putting in the new bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by martinws View Post
      Nice write up. A few questions now:

- are bambridges brackets m10 mount on the dust shield same as yours?

- do they still need shimmed out like yours at the top?

- how much are they?

I'm upgrading the fronts on my typ85 90 with 996s but standard s2s on that back for now but I might drill and tap the holes for this in the future while I'm putting in the new bearings.
      In answer to your questions: -
      1. Yes, I designed the brackets and they allow for M10 bolts into the hub assembly
      2. Yes they do
      3. I had the prototypes made at £42.50 delivered but you'll have to confirm with Kev

HTH

JB
      2001 996 C4 - Being renovated
      1994 ABY Coupe - "Das Smaragd RS2+ Coupe" - Sold

Comment

Top man. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by bilko0795 View Post
          996-352-425/426 rears 996-351-429/430 fronts.
          The rears have a very similar part number to the 996 fronts but worth checking what discs thickness they originally used and what the mounting point centres are compared to the 420/421 calipers used by John.
          Cheers'en, AndyC
          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Got a set of rs2 rear calipers sitting here...was going to machine in the rs2 handbrake in but why mess around when this is easy now.
            Top man for putting it all together!!

Rs2 disc size is the same size radially and in thickness as the 996's but how's the hat height compare?
            Volcano ABY coupe

Ant

Comment

jaaa, I have the same doubts, how to implement the same setup on RS2 with 299 ('big ones') rear brakes .... and get rid of these stupid round handbrake pads ....

Comment

Originally posted by QuattroFever View Post
                Got a set of rs2 rear calipers sitting here...was going to machine in the rs2 handbrake in but why mess around when this is easy now.
                Top man for putting it all together!!

Rs2 disc size is the same size radially and in thickness as the 996's but how's the hat height compare?
                This sounds like you have an avant and i am not familiar with the B4 setup of the avant. This solution is only for the coupe (for a change ) but may be possible for the avant. Not even sure if the VRS adaptors will fit....

Comment

Mercedes rear disks and hand brake???

Has anyone researched modifying Merc rear disks and hand brake drum assembly to fit onto an S2?
                  Even for the price of getting custom hand brake cables, I figured it as a cheaper option as opposed to Lambo/Aston Martin calipers.

Comment

There's also the idea of using Subaru rear brakes albeit they use the wrong pcd (5 x 100).

Comment

Originally posted by 5cylinderman View Post
                      Has anyone researched modifying Merc rear disks and hand brake drum assembly to fit onto an S2?
                      Even for the price of getting custom hand brake cables, I figured it as a cheaper option as opposed to Lambo/Aston Martin calipers.

Originally posted by 5cylinderman View Post
                      There's also the idea of using Subaru rear brakes albeit they use the wrong pcd (5 x 100).
                      Well, try one or the other and let us know how it works out. Then do a write and show your set up.

John did his homework and came up with this set up. I think it is great solution. I don't think it is too expensive.

Greg W.
                      They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by 90quattrocoupe View Post
                        John did his homework and came up with this set up. I think it is great solution.

Originally posted by 90quattrocoupe View Post
                        I don't think it is too expensive.
                        except for the handbrake calipers, they will cost about the same as everything else together... but as we say here "wie mooi wil zijn moet pijnlijden"

Comment

On the handbrake calipers, buying them new through John, and having them shipped to the states, was cheaper than anyplace I could find them in the states. I couldn't even find them used for the price he got them for. I saved about 30%. Those things are like gold over here.

Greg W.
                          They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Henkjan View Post

except for the handbrake calipers, they will cost about the same as everything else together... but as we say here "wie mooi wil zijn moet pijnlijden"
                            Yes... a bit of pain but hey £312 for a pair of new Brembo handbrake calipers delivered to the door ain't bad in the scheme of things.....you pays your money and takes your choice....glad I did.

Comment

Hi John,
                              what is the distance between the wheel and the calipers? Do you have pictures with the wheel?
                              Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Guslotti View Post
                                Hi John,
                                what is the distance between the wheel and the calipers? Do you have pictures with the wheel?
                                Thanks,
                                That depends on what wheel you are running. I have an Oettinger 17" wheel and there is plenty of space at the the rear. Here is a picture: -

tn_Brembo Handbrake 008.JPG

HTH

Comment

Working...
                                X