This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's more pictures....

....of the handbrake adaptor made by Kev (Bambridge).

tn_Handbrake adaptor 001.JPG

....and the handbrake calipers made by Brembo

tn_Brembo Handbrake Calipers 002.JPG

JB
    2001 996 C4 - Being renovated
    1994 ABY Coupe - "Das Smaragd RS2+ Coupe" - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by bilko0795 View Post
      Very good info. Iv been wanting to do this upgrade since i read your thread on it but wasn't sure where to get the handbrake brkts from since you said they were your own design. If Kev Bambridge makes them then Im going to go for it to match my Gt3 front's.
      I already have the calipers from the same car i had the front's from the guy wouldn't split them and £500 for the lot including the Disc's was a steal . I sold the Gt3 disc's on for £150 so now good excuse to fit the rear's

Again thanks for sharing
      You better double check the p/n on those rears you have. Pretty sure the GT3 was equiped with thicker rear discs (28mm). That would mean the offset on the caliper mounting would differ.

Comment

John,

Can you give us some impressions of the improvements or downsides if any.

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu View Post
          John,

Can you give us some impressions of the improvements or downsides if any.
          I've been running them since Spring last year, although the car underwent major refurbishment from Aug to Dec, so didn't get much running then.

Improvements are: -
          • Under braking, the car squats rather than nose dives under heavy braking
          • The Porsche Brembo calipers are easier to bleed than the stock ones IMO
          • They don't rust.....well not as much!
          • Handbrake adjustment is easier
          • The handbrake really feels positive, more so than stock
          • ......last but not least they look great!

Not really noticed any downsides.....yet.

One of our forum friends in the US has already got all the bits to do the same.....I know cos i sent them to him!

Comment

Originally posted by John B View Post
            One of our forum friends in the US has already got all the bits to do the same.....I know cos i sent them to him!
            The adapter for the ebrake calipers is first rate. John was nice enough to put together the whole package for me, rear Boxster caliper adapters, ebrake calipers adapters and getting me the Brembo Ebrake calipers. The cost of the ebrake calipers, even used, here in the states were more than new in Europe. They were more money, used, than the Boxster rears used. Thanks again John.

I have been putting together some other parts before I installed the setup. I wanted an extra set of late coupe hub carriers, in case I made a mistake in drilling and tapping the hub carrier for the ebrake adapter. Unfortunenately, we in the states, do not have late model coupes, with the 14mm bolt holes. I have a set on my coupe, but do not have any spares. They are now on there way. I had to wait for someone braking a regular CQ, not an ABY. The hub carriers were a lot cheaper that way.

I will be using the B4 Sedan brake cables, as they are the same as the avant, and I can get them locally. Boxter rears are no problem.

Thanks again John. When I do get the time to do the install, I will post up my conclusions here.

Greg W.
            They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

I really want to see how was the e-brake bracket being mounted at the back of the spindle housing since there's only 2 holes for mounting

one single calipers.When the e-brake is added on.How was the bracket look like?i could imagine the e-brake bracket would be mounting at the

same mouting as the Primary rear Calipers?Photos describes thousand words.anyone please chime me in.Thanks.
              one of a few I5 from Asia.

Comment

Originally posted by popdemonic View Post
                I really want to see how was the e-brake bracket being mounted at the back of the spindle housing since there's only 2 holes for mounting

one single calipers.When the e-brake is added on.How was the bracket look like?i could imagine the e-brake bracket would be mounting at the

same mouting as the Primary rear Calipers?Photos describes thousand words.anyone please chime me in.Thanks.

Have a look at http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62766 post # 10.

That should show you what i think you are asking.

Comment

Thanks John for the excelent write-up! I already have Will's adapter, the boxter calipers, and ordered discs, so this post came on a perfect time!

Comment

Missed this maybe but what brakes are you running up front? The Callipers that you have listed in your parts list are the 996 fronts / GT3 rears.
                    Cheers'en, AndyC
                    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                      Missed this maybe but what brakes are you running up front? The Callipers that you have listed in your parts list are the 996 fronts / GT3 rears.
                      Apologies

I have updated the parts list to show 996 352 421 11 and 996 352 422 11 as the 996 rears that I run at the rear. At the front I run the 996 calipers (996 351 425 11 and 996 351 426 11).

Cheers

JB

Comment

Excellent
                        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Would there be a problem with fitting the gt3 rears to mine as iv got Gt3 fronts and rears. from when i bought the full set? or will i have to get 996 rears.

Comment

What are the part numbers of the rears you have there?
                            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by bilko0795 View Post
                              Would there be a problem with fitting the gt3 rears to mine as iv got Gt3 fronts and rears. from when i bought the full set? or will i have to get 996 rears.
                              Don't know the specifics of the calipers but what i can say is: -
                              1. The handbrake solution is built around the 300x22 S4 disc with its hat height, so if you change the disc size or hat height, you will need another handbrake adaptor
                              2. If you stick with the same disc, the handbrake adaptor will remain valid: it will just be how you mount the GT3 caliper

I am pretty sure distance between the holes on the calipers will be the same as the 996. I did measure this and can dig it out. It then comes down to how the GT3 caliper centres on the disc: it can be shimmed in board, but if out board, then potentially a new caliper adaptor is required than the VRS one used.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                                What are the part numbers of the rears you have there?
                                996-352-425/426 rears 996-351-429/430 fronts.

Comment

Working...
                                X