K24R 300mm / 314mm budget rear brake upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet, I'll get a set

Got to draw up the brake carrier brackets for a few options. Unfortunately the 290mm option is an old part so it may not be readily available for too much longer. Shame, as it was almost a direct fit.

302mm option can use a small spigot ring but the bracket is a little more complex due to offsets.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Why don't you try the 360mm rear brake kit from ultimot that includes everything?
      RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
      BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
      LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

The word 'budget' obviously doesn't translate in to Spanish :lol.
        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Hi guys I need some help with a rear brake upgrade for my s2 avant.I've got the rear kit including calipers,carriers,discs and pads from an s4 b7, but despite beening a bolt on kit the bolts of the carriers one is too sort and the otherone is too long and I can't use mine cause they are different treath.and the pipe is also different.what is your sugestion,how other did it?thank you.

Comment

Got a horrible feeling those Ultimot discs might have been turned down to 11mm to squeeze within the carrier. I think I can just make out the Audi rings in the groove. Might have that same problem yourself.
            The other issue is what you are hoping to achieve. Whilst you are getting a bigger disc you still have the problem of 20 year old sticky calipers and worn carriers/pins. Thats why most people bite the bullet and replace everything when upgrading so the total cost is offset somewhat against the cost of good quality stock replacements. Plus the additional clamping force of the larger 43mm piston.
            Whilst personally I would at least use new carriers, there are some economies to be made using decent (i.e. newer) used calipers and eBay bargins if you are patient.
            The S2 was shortchanged in the rear brake department by Audi as most of its stable mates had at least 269X20mm rear discs. Must have been those rear hubs!

Comment

Did they fit?
              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Basic aim is to get better rear braking for a small investment of thought and minimal changes or investment. Old calipers are still working to some degree and I don't have a spare few hundred quid to splash, so decided to see what I can do. Total cost will be sub £100 including New discs, brackets etc. If I'm happy with it all, I may get some fancier discs.
                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Not got the carrier off but they should just need the wheel bolt holes drilling out as the centre bore is the same. Other thing I need to check is hat height but it's close...

I've designed the brackets for a few options
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

In the spirit of positivity, can you squeeze a new set of brake pads and a 12mm disc within the brake caliper itself?
                    I remember someone doing a conversion using an 11mm disc and they had to modify the caliper by grinding 1mm off!

Comment

12mm will require modification for sure. 11mm will fit in the carrier but it's tight. Shame the 290mm disc I found isn't widely available.
                      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

http://bremboaftermarket.com/En/Car_...IDMaster=28700

I looked at this one when I was loking to do the same. It's very close to the overall height of the S2 disc but the centre bore was bigger by .2mm!

Comment

Mine are 278x10 with 7mm more hat height. The extra hat gives room for a simpler bracket though, so not too bad.
                          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                            The word 'budget' obviously doesn't translate in to Spanish :lol.
                            define budget

depends if is 1600€
                            RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
                            BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
                            LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

I should do a write up on the 288mm discs I used to upgrade the rears, it was cheap for me as I turned the disc thickness down at work myself and made two calliper spacers, but all in with two refurb callipers it cost me less than £150

However still interested in what you have a foot here Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                                ....I have also found some suitable 12mm discs that I'll be looking in to once I get the carriers off Chris
                                Umm....wouldn't you consider a non-ventilated 12 mm disc a) waste of time or b) a down grade? IMO the miniumum you should be looking at is a 20 mm ventilated rear disc. Perhaps something like the OE 269 x 20 mm OE rear C4 UrS4/S6 ventilatied disc?

Item 9 for an C4 AAN is PN 857615601, 269 x 20 ventilated. There is also another 269 x 20 ventilated that i is PN 4A0615601B. I know that often, the thicker ventilated disc is easily accomodated by the same caliper simply by running pads that are thinner, e.g. 5 mm thinner per pad when going from a 269 x 10 solid to a 269 x 20 ventilated.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                                94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Working...
                                X