K24R 300mm / 314mm budget rear brake upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
    Umm....wouldn't you consider a non-ventilated 12 mm disc a) waste of time or b) a down grade?
    No and no.

Ventilated won't fit the stock carriers, neither will 12mm thick without a bit of grinding.

Having done many track days with the stock 245x10 discs, I'm still here...
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
      No and no. Ventilated won't fit the stock carriers, neither will 12mm thick without a bit of grinding. Having done many track days with the stock 245x10 discs, I'm still here...
      Hmm...still think non-ventilated is so, well, 1986.
      RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Well you don't have to do the conversion then For the rest of us, we can carry on living in 1991-6.
        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
          Hmm...still think non-ventilated is so, well, 1986.

Don't you go to sleep there in Canada?
          RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
          BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
          LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

That 302mm disc is one of 3 that Audi offer with different hat heights, hence not seeing it the first time. It's got a hat height marginally larger than the OE disc but the thickness is 12mm, so that causes a little bit of an issue with the OE carriers and more than likely, you'd have to fit new pads one by one.

There is a 302mmx12mm disc that matches well to the disc that I've got, which makes a multi-purpose bracket very simple.
            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Is anyone interested if I get a batch of the required parts made up? Thinking of offering a 280 and 300mm option. Post up interest please
              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Im certainly keeping an eye out, but really depends on cost of it all as I have only recently fitted refurbed calipers and discs
                Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Well the discs will have to go but the rest will be just fine
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Interested...any idea on rough cost?
                    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

100-150 including discs would be nice. New discs are about 50 anyway, so 50-100 in bits and altering the disc.
                      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Not directly related but I'm currently working on a 4x108 bolt bigger disc conversion for us that stick with 4 bolt hubs. I'm using Sierra Cosworth 4wd rear discs which are 273x20mm (and have the correct 4x108 holes, only the center hole has to be enlarged slightly) and UrS4 rear calipers Got the rotors for 50 euro and the calipers for 35 euro. I will need to fabricate a simple bracket to offset the calipers, but it will be a simple one. Will make a thread when I have success with it.

Comment

Originally posted by afterburner View Post
                          Not directly related but I'm currently working on a 4x108 bolt bigger disc conversion for us that stick with 4 bolt hubs. I'm using Sierra Cosworth 4wd rear discs which are 273x20mm (and have the correct 4x108 holes, only the center hole has to be enlarged slightly) and UrS4 rear calipers Got the rotors for 50 euro and the calipers for 35 euro. I will need to fabricate a simple bracket to offset the calipers, but it will be a simple one. Will make a thread when I have success with it.
                          would that be for a typ85 or a typ89?

Comment

Originally posted by Henkjan View Post
                            would that be for a typ85 or a typ89?
                            It's actually for an avant/saloon, forgot to mention that, but it should work also for the coupe, I'm not sure what's the difference between typ85 and typ89 coupe rear struts and hubs...

Comment

Right, as I'm still stuck in 1991, I'm now looking in to using discs from a 2005- Mazda and 2007- Audi Will report back when i find the most cost effective selection of parts.

Ideally, I'd like to offer 2 disc sizes so that the rear brakes can be balanced with the fronts for smaller and larger brake setups. I would say that larger calipers up front will be better balanced with larger pistons at the rear but cosmetically, this will be a winner for a modest investment and will function just fine.

I'll have a look at options for 4x108 hubs, in case there's some nice crossover parts between model years.
                              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

The 278mm brake disc that I was originally looking at using is available in 4 stud (4x114.3) with the correct centre bore, so this would be an ideal crossover

Type 85 - http://bremboaftermarket.com/en/Car_...nIDMaster=3793
                                B3 Quattro - http://bremboaftermarket.com/en/Car_...nIDMaster=3839
                                B4 Quattro - http://bremboaftermarket.com/en/Car_...nIDMaster=3871
                                S2 - http://bremboaftermarket.com/en/Car_...nIDMaster=3873

All the same height, so anything I design for the S2 can be used.
                                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Working...
                                X