new updated angel eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s2_bo View Post
    These are from TundW, they are the guys that also made (and are making the next batch of EL/plasma gauges) The quality ought to be good and i can vouch for them being a good company having spent several thousands with them over the last couple of years.

If they are a success i can easily set up a group buy on these and i bet i can get that price down a hefty amount too .

Let us know what they are like Jas.
    Bo, these aren't made by TundW/Quantitec. They are made in the far east by a company called Junyan. Your contacts must just be an importer of them.

Originally posted by s2_southwest View Post
    oh well, thats no biggie. i take it they still have the screw to do it manually
    They have both vertical and horizontal manual adjustment of the projector and the highbeam yes.

wonder if you could replace the bar with a set of these
    The way things are going, no chance. Reason being, the clear plastic lense on the front will not come off. Not without either damaging the plastic of the front, the case or both. They are bonded on very well indeed.
    I'm not going to be beaten though. Not by a set of headlamps.
    You can't get in from behind either. The removable cap over each bulb isn't big enough to get inside at the workings.
    So, how the hell do I get in?
    I'm going in through the bottom. I've cut out a section of the case, well not cut but sliced with a red hot blade so as not to get crap, dust and rubbish inside.
    I need to get at two very small screws to remove them. Once removed, the plate used for beam cutout (which is metal and stamped LHD) and is sandwiched between the projector and it's framework, can be slid out turned round and slid back in. That done it'll have the beam pattern reversed from LHD to RHD.
    Once happy, I'll plastic weld the bottom up.

I've got to make a small 90° right angle pozidrive with a 3mm thick handle to get at the screws.
    Expect to get this sorted after work tomorrow afternoon, will of course take lots of pictures to show what all that gobbledegook above means

As said before, where there's a will there's a way
    2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
    2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
    1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Here's a couple of pics.

I've removed some of the base which has exposed the internals.
      On the second picture I've arrowed the screws I need to remove to slide out that plate. Luckily the plate is symmetrical, so will slide out, turn end on end and slide back in.
      One screw is hidden behind that adjuster bolt. The lager pozi screw at the top of the pics I've already managed to remove. The other two will need me to make a tool. Well, my bro is going to do it tomorrow as I'm quite busy.
      I had a bit of an idea for this.
      He'll get a couple of these pozi bits, chop off the hex end, then weld a 3mm thick rod about 50mm long onto it at 90° so I can get in a remove them.

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

what a pita, nice work tho jas. if its just a simple case of flippin that plate over you'd think they would quite happily make some rhd units for us while its already in bits.

looking forward to some more bits and seeing how the plastic welding goes
        Pearl white 91-S2-3B K&N cone air filter - Home made induction pipe work - 18" RS4 replica alloys - Yokohama Parada Spec 2 rubber - Colour coded body work - Bilstein/H&R suspension - s/s 3in turbo back Longlife exhaust - SFS water hoses - Samco boost hoses - RS2 FARB - RS2 eyeballs - Squeaky interior trim & 2 bar!

Comment

what a pita, nice work tho jas. if its just a simple case of flippin that plate over you'd think they would quite happily make some rhd units for us while its already in bits.

looking forward to some more bits and seeing how the plastic welding goes
          The people who make them are here.

If you don't mind, I'll write up the exact details tomorrow. I've been at it since 3.30pm and only finished an hour ago.

But here's a couple of pictures until then;

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

Fair play they don't look half bad
            1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
            1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
            1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
            1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

they look scary and evil

Comment

great work there Jas to get them modified and in......jury is out though from me, sorry.

Cant quite decide if they look wrong because of the light strip above the main lights pushing the 3 lights down in the overall height of the unit, if you get my drift?
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I get what ya mean David. I too cant decide if i like them or not the concept is good, for me they still look a little wrong when the lights underneath are rectangle.........

Nice work though there Jas
                  Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

Thats damn wierd!

Looks better with the lights on IMO... cant say they are my cup of tea though.
                    S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

• Definitely look mean, but would be better IMO with the sidelight strip underneath the main lamps.
                      Black suits the car, but wondering if the chrome ones would stick out less?
                      Irvin

'08-'0?:
                      '97 Coupe, Kingfisher Blue
                      '01-'08:
                      '93 ABY Coupe, Milltek cat-back, Alpine dvd Sat-Nav/Changer

www.irvinduguid.com

Comment

• Try this.....cover up everything below the headlights, then it looks great, especially with the black of the grille. Then uncover the bottom half and I think thats where the problem is with overall front end impression. if you can do something clever with the fogs and indicators then I reckon it might just work clear glass fogs and indicators would help a treat i reckon....
                        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

• As daft as it sounds, I still think chrome would stick out less!
                          They would look more like the original elipsoids, which are.... chrome!

It would also make the angel eyes blend in more in the daylight, where as against they really stick out against the black

Comment

• Could do like lhd_kid on here did and black out the fogs as well, knowing you jas you've one or two lying around.

Comment

• Remember chaps, these aren't fitted to an S2, they are fitted to my project 80 TDi saloon. I personally don't like them enough to remove the perfect looking OEM ellipsoids on my S2, not that I would even if I did. The S2 stays OEM looking.

It's just that sometimes threads like these appear and drag on and on about whether they'll fit, what would they look like and so on.
                              Hence me buying them. 1/ To answer the questions and 2/ Cos they are a cheap way to HID without buying another set of ellipsoids and not having to use HID's in reflector headlamps, which I hate cos they dazzle the hell out of everyone.
                              I'm the guinea pig, it's up to you to decide from here.

Q/ Do I like them?
                              A/ Not sure yet.

Q/ Was it an easy job?
                              A/ Hell no.

Q/ Did I enjoy the challenge?
                              A/ Hell yes.

Q/ Would I do it again?
                              A/ Erm? ask me another time.

Got to decide which to have as side lights and which to have as selectable lights, need to mod the light stalk so dipped beam stays on with highbeam..............then take some night shots after it's dark.
                              Oh, the light aim needs adjusting, so will have to get it down to MOT station and set it up.

Then!!! HID next month.

Ok, I think I'd best point out something.
                              Converting these headlamps for use in the UK is no easy task.

You need to be prepared to chop a great big hole out of the base, plastic welding it back up later and create two holes on the back for screwdriver access which also need welding back up.
                              If you are not much of a practical person, walk away.

First up, the idea for the tool I had, which was superbly executed by my bro, wasn't needed in the end. After I'd started unscrewing one of the screws it become obvious that the projector wasn't parting from the frame.

Hmmm?
                              On closer inspection and with my superhuman sight that can see round corners I saw there were two other screws directly above them, facing the other way and hidden by the adjuster bolt on the left and the securing screw on the right.

Chopping the bottom off wasn't a mistake thankfully, as I still needed to be able to get the beam pattern plate out, flip it round and get it back in.
                              So, how to get to the screws hidden away at the top? I had to create two holes above them so I could get a screwdriver down. Heating a screwdriver up and then melting through the case meant I could get to them.
                              Once they were out, the plate came out easy as that.

Note the black pen mark, I had to remove that area to so it matched the width of the other side when slotting it back it.

That done, the plate slotted back in and I could put the screws back in,

and then plastic weld the bottom back on. It's not very pretty, but then it doesn't need to be;

Also needed to close up the two holes created on the top. Same method again, plastic welding rods and a soldering iron

Last edited by Jas11n; 5 July 2008, 16:14.
                              2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

• You either like them, or you don't.
                                The jury is still out for me.

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

Working...
                                X