AAN Loom into type 85 Coupe Quattro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAN Loom into type 85 Coupe Quattro

I know wiring is being covered by Paul on another thread but i've found the AAN loom has subtle differences and I wanted to confirm each wire and plug, and maybe it can help others as a reference. I've posted the document below but also have a PDF version if anybody is interested.
    Last edited by Puglife; 2 August 2009, 19:21.
    Jay - pug_life85@hotmail.com

1986 Audi UR quattro - WORK IN PROGRESS
    1981 VW Mk1 Golf - "20v Jim, but not as we know it!"

Jesus........ I'll get to this one, but I know its harder to graft the AAN loom into B3/B4 and therefore B2 - differences in fusebox / relay panels.
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Dont over exert yourself paul.... I'm hoping i can rewire the AAN gauge wiring to the original CQ type85 connector for fusebox and if possible run any additional gauge wiring i have to the gauges direct from the sensors?

Comment

I'll be interested in this also as at some point I am hoping to be doing something like this.

@jay - you using the plugs for the wiring you are removing from the loom and splicing into that so it plugs in as standard to the fusebox?

Comment

Well if its possible, I'd like to use the KV engine loom plugs rewired onto the AAN loom so that they can be easily unplugged and i can use the dash loom from the KV to wire up the works dash.

I'm guessing VDO gauges etc dont need the signal wiring fused? I really need to brush up on electrics, its my weak point as a technician

Comment

Originally posted by Puglife View Post
            So this i believe is the Altitude sensor (F96) and has 3 wires.
            Yes it is

A section of wires branches off to 4 fuses.
            This looks actually as some kind of electric windows loom, however I remember someone saying that he has such thermo-fuses on his older S4 loom

Two wires with eyelet terminals. One eyelet was removed from my loom but should be present on black wire.
            If I remember correctly - those will be diagnostic terminal eyelet connections (which goes to fusebox and conventional diagnostic terminal.

If anybody could clarify the wires I'd be much appreciated!
            I will help you, if you will have pictures and be annoying in the PM section. I have not so much time to read forum, so I pick only threads I find interesting, and sometimes I don't read all pages of new posts.

Sau
            P.S. Five years ago, my car used to run with loom connected like this
            Attached Files
            200 20vt 88' 3b, human carrier
            CQ typ85 with AAN inside, see project blog at http://kwlw.blogspot.com

Comment

Some additional info

Two files, one is done by urs4boy , other by me. If one file doesn't match, other may.

Check colors from your plugs, maybe they match.

Also download this file (it will be offline soon): http://www.soften.ktu.lt/~kwlw/20v/aan_wiring.pdf

And inspect it carefully comparing with what you have in photos. Your plugs are name "Tsomething".
              NOTE: this is USA schematics. Some things are different. Don't know which. Double check with excel file I've provided (euro, which is verified by me, and few my friends as working). Before connecting something, always check with multimeter if you have contact with correct ECU socket pin.

I will gladly answer to reduced scope questions like in this thread (not ones like "I have 20 plugs, I don't know how to use multimeter, where should I plug them?")

Sau
              P.S. If anyone wonders why I took so long with my AAN first time - then I haven't not even 10% of info which is in this thread...
              Attached Files
              Last edited by kwlw; 2 August 2009, 09:08.
              200 20vt 88' 3b, human carrier
              CQ typ85 with AAN inside, see project blog at http://kwlw.blogspot.com

Comment

KWLW -
                massive help, i've had a quick reference on the schematic PDF document and can see most plugs match the diagrams and have same wire colours/pin positions. What I'll do is print that PDF out and spend an hour or two editing my original post filling in all wires I can correlate and match up. I'll try and make it as detailed, yet understandable as possible eg. ECU pin 50 - 0.5mm White/Blue, which loops between the blue and green 6 pin connectors and is road speed signal output (also branches to climate control according to your pinout text).

If I/We can get this laid out, i'll work out the rewiring to a type85 fusebox and post pictures/text on procedure. Paul if you want to use this information for the S2 central site feel free, unless you earn millions out of it in which case a white R8 with carbon sideblades be nice pal

Comment

do somebody know where the Bulb holder is for?
                  Attached Files
                  1360kg/600Whp Avant 0-200km/h 9sec

Comment

really interesting thread. Ive got the aan loom in my b3/b4 cabriolet so a really good point of reference for me. (although im considering replacing it with an aby loom)
                    Gav
                    S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

KWLW -
                      massive help, i've had a quick reference on the schematic PDF document and can see most plugs match the diagrams and have same wire colours/pin positions. What I'll do is print that PDF out and spend an hour or two editing my original post filling in all wires I can correlate and match up. I'll try and make it as detailed, yet understandable as possible eg. ECU pin 50 - 0.5mm White/Blue, which loops between the blue and green 6 pin connectors and is road speed signal output (also branches to climate control according to your pinout text).

If I/We can get this laid out, i'll work out the rewiring to a type85 fusebox and post pictures/text on procedure. Paul if you want to use this information for the S2 central site feel free, unless you earn millions out of it in which case a white R8 with carbon sideblades be nice pal

LOL @ puglife - that would be cool if you can do the AAN wiring guide... The bar has been set by my ABY one though - will take me a while to find the time and energy to do another one if those in a while...
                      Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

My auto electrics falls very short of yours paul but i'll knock something together. If you can see catastrophic errors or anything dangerous then please feel free to point out/amend. I'll possibly have this laid out by midday.

Comment

I'll have a look at it... In theory the Typ85 (B2) fuse panel is identical to the S2/RS2 - so there is good commonality there - biggest differences are going to be the other connectors below the dashboard where the engine loom integrates with rest of the car - and actually those will change I'm sure thru the WR, MB, RR years - so be sure and document the purpose of each wire on the AAN loom so that its easier for folk to adapt to all the UR variants.

I don't have any UR schematics at my disposal on paper - but I knows that they are online somewhere - kerbside motors - Phil Payne's site.
                          Paul Nugent

Comment

James' site is good too.....

http://www.kvquattro.com/audiCoupeWiring.html
                            &
                            http://www.t85q.com/1980_quattro_wiring.html

Theres a few variations between models and years sadly so its never exactly spot on....

Comment

Ok finished, may need a few amendments incase I have missed connector numbers etc but appears to be all correct. I have kept it as simple as possible and pictures should aid people who work better with images rather than text.

AAN Engine Loom

The following document gives a pictorial description of the engine wiring loom from an Audi 100 S4. Please note this is information gathered from a ’94 manual car and any variations with earlier/later years that may be found are not listed. This document only describes the loom section inside the car.

A photograph of each connector/Fuse holder is given along with the Pin out and wire colours, the number in brackets is the wire size. Next to each of these is the source of the wire and if present, the ECU pin the wire traces from.

Altitude sensor (F96) which has 3 wires connecting to it.

PIN WIRECOLOUR SOURCE
                              1 Grey/Black (0.5) ECU pin 9.
                              2 Red (0.5) ECU pin 12, Also branches to T6a/3,
                              G40 and G69.
                              3 Green/Black (0.5) Engine coolant temp. sensor. (G62)

Coding Connector (T6a) 6pin, Black. Has 4 wires connecting to it. On my loom the connector was missing, however I have included a sourced photo of said connector.(Apologies for image colouring, it wont upload properly?)

1 Grey/White (0.5) ECU pin 38
                              2 Grey/Yellow (0.5) ECU pin 39
                              3 Red (0.5) ECU pin 12, branches from F96, G40, G69.
                              4 Green/Black (0.5) Earth

A section of wires branches off to 4 fuse holders

Red Fuse Holder (5Amp) – S102 Engine Control Module fuse.

1 Red (1.5) Bridged with S61, Permanent 12v Feed.
                              2 White/Black (1.5) ECU Pin 18

Yellow Fuse Holder (15Amp) – S115 Ignition Coil Terminal 15 fuse.

1 Black (4.0) Switched 12v.
                              2 Black/Green (4.0) T3w/2 for Ignition Coil 5 (N164)

Light Brown Fuse Holder (15Amp) – S116 Injector Valve fuse.

1 Blue (2.5) Bridged with S75, goes to S3/87a fusebox.
                              2 Black/Red (2.5) D95 injector harness.

Black Fuse Holder (12Amp) – S75 fuse for N71, N75 and N80. Stated as 10Amp ???

1 Blue (1.5) Bridged with S116, goes to S3/87a fusebox.
                              2 Red (1.5) Bridged to N71, N75 and N80.

Two wires with eyelet terminals. One eyelet was removed from my loom but should be
                              present on black wire.

Black (1.5) 87f on fuseboard.
                              Red (1.5) Permanent 12v Feed

Data Link connector wires. T2 white connector.

Green/Red (1.0) ECU Pin 55 goes to DLC (L) on Aux panel (i) and T2/2
                              White/Red (1.0) ECU Pin 13 goes to DLC (K) on Aux panel (i) and T2/1

(T6e) 6pin White plug. Has a single wire connection.

6 Yellow/Brown (0.5) Afterun coolant fan control relay (J69) Pin 4
                              TC coolant pump relay (J115) Pin 5.

6Pin Light Brown plug, 3 pins have connections. I cant find this on schematics but can locate and label the wires.

3 Black (4.0) Fuse S115, pin 1
                              4 2x Blue (1.5/2.5) 1.5 – Fuse S116 pin 1, 2.5 – Fuse S75 pin 1
                              5 Brown/Yellow (0.5) T6e/6

Aux Gauge plug (T4m), has two connections to it.

1 Black/White (0.5) Earth?
                              2 Black/Brown (0.5) Oil temp sensor (G8)

Bulb holder wiring.

Black/Blue (0.5)
                              White/Blue (0.5)

(T6b) Red 6 pin connector.

1 Brown/Red (0.5) Vehicle Speed Sensor (G22)
                              3 Black/Blue (1.5) ECU pin 22, Relay position 4/15a.
                              4 Blue/Red (1.0) ----- Yet to be established ----
                              5 Blue/Black (0.5) ECU pin 31
                              6 Grey/Red (0.5) Hydraulic Pressure Control Switch (F79)

(T6c) Green 6 pin Connector.

1 Lilac/Black (0.5) ECU pin 40.
                              3 2x White/Blue (0.5) ECU pin 50, branches to T6g/1.
                              4 Grey/Yellow (0.5) Brake Fluid Level Warning Switch (F34)
                              5 Brown/Yellow (0.5) ECT Thermal Switch (F76)
                              6 Brown (0.5) Earth

(T6d) Grey 6 pin connector.

1 Yellow/Blue (0.5) ECU pin 32
                              3 Blue (1.0) Voltage Regulator, Alternator.
                              4 Blue/Yellow (0.5) ECT Thermal Switch (F76)
                              5 Blue/Black (1.0) Oil Pressure Switch (F1)
                              6 White/Grey (1.0) Oil Pressure Switch (F1)

(T6g) Blue 6 pin Connector.

1 White/Blue (0.5) Bridged with T6c/3
                              2 Blue/Green (0.5) A/C Control Head (E87)
                              3 White (0.5) ECU Pin 41
                              4 Green/Yellow (0.5) ECU Pin 6

Turbo Coolant pump relay (J155) has 5 connections. Blue relay plug.

2 Red/Green (0.5) TC coolant pump thermal switch (F98)
                              4 Yellow (0.5) Fuse S73 Pin 2.
                              5 Brown/Yellow (0.5) T6e/6
                              6 Brown (1.0) Earth
                              8 Brown/Black (1.0) Afterun coolant pump (V51)

(S73) White Fuse Holder (12Amp)

1 Black (1.5) 87F on fuseboard.
                              2 2xYellow (0.5/1.5) 0.5 – TC coolant pump relay (J155) Pin 4
                              1.5 – T2f/2 Heated Oxygen sensor (Z19)

(S61) Blue Fuse Holder (12Amp)

1 2xRed (1.5) One is a permanent 12v feed, the other is
                              bridged from fuse S102.
                              2 White/Black (1) V51 and F98, Afterrun pump and thermal
                              switch.

Comment

Working...
                              X