This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil recommendations and questions here - The Definitive S2 Oil thread

Just though this may be useful and a place to find me if needed.

If you have a question related to oil problems or simply need a recommendation then please feel free to post it here.

If you'd like a recommendation then the following info would be helpful.

Make
    Model
    Year
    Engine Type
    Engine Size
    Modifications
    Driving style

We'd be happy to help

Cheers
    Simon

Added on 06.01.09 by Fat Audi 80 from here: http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34007

VAG Oils Listed By Specification

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure that these pages will be useful to Audi owners.

We have listed VAG oils by their specs to make selection easier.

Check your handbook and then look up what we have that will suit here.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-689-vw.aspx

All the best for 2009

Cheers
    Guy
    Last edited by Fat Audi 80; 6 January 2009, 13:41. Reason: Link to specs for VAG oils added
    Use the code S2F and get 10% Club Discount
    oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers
    email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
    phone: 01209 202944

Actually Simon,

Make: Audi
    Model: S2
    Year: 1994
    Engine Type: Turbo
    Engine Size 2226cc
    Modifications: Full RS2 conversion, Porsche 944 turbo, hi flow injectors 408 bhp, cams
    Driving style: Relaxed.

Car is currently running on 5w40 and oil is getting to 100c temp very quickly. Would you recommend 5w40 continued use or changing to 10w50?

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo
      Actually Simon,

Engine Size 2226cc
      Modifications: Full RS2 conversion, Porsche 944 turbo, hi flow injectors 408 bhp, cams

Car is currently running on 5w40 and oil is getting to 100c temp very quickly. Would you recommend 5w40 continued use or changing to 10w50?
      Yeah right! Except when showing off on the dual carriageway at Billing.... :mischeif:

The Perfectionist
      sigpic
      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo
        Actually Simon,

Engine Size 2226cc

If the oil does not tend to rise above 100deg then the 5w-40 will be fine, however if with spirited use the temps do rise above this then go for the 10w-50.

Cheers

Simon.
        oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers

Comment

Make : audi
          Model : RS2 avant
          Year : 1994
          Engine Type : turbo
          Engine Size : 2226cc
          Modifications : samco hoses,forge dump valve,MTM stage 1 setup(330hp,485Nm)
          Driving style : normal with casual accelerations here and there...Climate here in
          Greece mostly hot(35-45 deg.celcius during summer)

Im using Castrol 10W60 by recommendation of many.Before that it had been used 10W40 which indicated to me a fair consumption without any real hard driving.After the switch to Castrol RS consumption has dropped to a level of having to add around 2.5ltr in 10000Kms.Is that normal?Should i excpect more or less?After seeing the valves,the seals are OK and dont need to be changed.

Furthermore my oil temp is kept to 90deg whilst casual driving,and quickly jumps to 100+ with a couple of fast moves or overtakes.Im installing a larger oil cooler now.Is that a good solution?

thanks
          Vasilis

Comment

What type of oil pan gasket do I need?

Model: Coupe Quattro
            Year: 1990
            Engine: 5 cyl 20v, newly turbo'd
            Driving Style: Easy driving, but run SCCA rallycross events

Its got an oil leak, seemingly from the gasket. On autopartswarehouse.com there are two or three different kinds. The one OEM gasket costs $40 and requires two, while the non-OEM ones are like $17 and don't say anything about needing two. The $17 ones also look just a little different. Any ideas?

Comment

10w-60 is too thick wasting power and causing increased temperatures through friction, a 10w-50 or 15w-50 would be better for your engine

Cheers
              Simon

Comment

If you are rallying then a 15w-50 would be a good choice of oil.

If oil temps do not exceed 120degC then a race 5w-40 or 10w-40 would be the correct choice,

Cheers
                Simon

Comment

thanks Oilman,i will try a 10W50 for a change.If i see higher fuel consumption with this one whould i go back to 10W60? or should i try 15W50?

Comment

You should see better fuel consumption with a 10w-50 as the best fuel economy oils are the thinner ones like 0w-30

Cheers
                    Simon

Comment

oilman,one final question is that what should i do in case i see more oil consumption with this one?do i try 15W50 or then go back to 10W60?

also what are the best options to a 10W50 oil for me to try?Motul does not have a 10 but a 15W50 which i wouldnt like to try immediatelly.Mobil 1 has 5W50.Castrol makes a 10W50 which is said to be for motorbikes.Does that make any difference?

it is hard for me to find here in Greece silkolene pro S or millers.

i can find BP,Castrol,Mobil 1,Motul

Comment

Out of that lot Motul 300v would be the best. 15w-50 would be fine in greece, the ambient temps are higher so nothing to worry about there.

Cheers

Simon.

Comment

oilman,i went and bought the 300V Motul 15W50.Im going to use it for the first time and i hope it does the job well.I should be seeing 2bar pressure on hot idle and 5 bar on cold and acceleration normally,right?

Comment

Simon, what's your opinion on Castrol TWS oil please?
                            '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
                            info@MRCTuning.com
                            Workshop Directions

Comment

And on the Mobil1 5W-50 Please
                              Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Working...
                              X