This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 20vQC View Post
    on all weather (except the extreme under zero from some countries) I recommed the use of semisynthetic formula 10W-40 and a very strict oil and filter change for about not more than 8K kilometers or 5K miles! hat oil isn't too expensive so you can afford that rent for the good of your engine! 10W-50/60 for hot ambient air. Since the first car in my life I did the internal engine wash every year the car is on my hands, that'd be about 400-500cc of diesel fuel and 70% of the oil capacity, start the engine for 15min with 4 or 5 peaks of 2000rpm ,then turn off and... dirty oil down for one whole night, new filter, new oil and you're done! no damages, very clean engine (internally of course) and an eventually better reliability. 100% synth oils are obviously better but the viscosity/temp ratio is not what I'm looking for... and price is a bit high. THIS WAS MY COMMENT.

Peace!
    I generally do an oil change every 5k miles anyway. I would prefer to stay with fully synth though.... my car gets a lot of punishment.

Comment

I have a question about the oil pressure on my s2.

On idle the pressure is about 1,2bar when hot, and 3,2bar at 3000rpm.
      With 5w40 valvoline oil. And with high oil temperatures the pressure is around 3bar at 3-4000tpm.
      On a cold start the pressure is about 4,5bar.

Need to worry? or needing a thicker oil?

The oil consumption is about 1L to 1000Miles
      The engine has 161k miles on it.

Comment

hehe mine too! but I'm quiet with the semisynthtec, with mineral oil (in my other cars, not the audi) I felt great but with oil change intervals from 3K to 4K Kilometers with a normal API SL 15W-50 from ELF. Remember to fill up the oil filter on every oil change, crank the engine for 5-10sec (coil/s disconnected), look that your system charges pressure... then connect everything and start the engine. DO NOT OVER REV THE ENGINE WITH NEW OIL, run at least a few hours in normal and civilized driving... then go to the redline if you want!
        - Looking for a S2
        - Lancia Dedra HF turbo i.e. (4sale)
        - Typ89 Coupè quattro, 20Vt AAN, VEMS, K24-7000@1.3bar (scrapped )

sigpic

Comment

TO WS2: Bro your oil press is too low I think :S:S:S You need an oil with a higher viscosity, the one that you're using is too thin and not good for the ambient temperatures.
          - Looking for a S2
          - Lancia Dedra HF turbo i.e. (4sale)
          - Typ89 Coupè quattro, 20Vt AAN, VEMS, K24-7000@1.3bar (scrapped )

sigpic

Comment

normal should be no less than 1.8bar when hot on idle, 4.5+bar cold on idle and definitelly more than 3bar on 3000rpm.Im supposing that you may be needing a big service in valve stem seals and probably piston rings if you have that kind of consumption and readings.However 5W is a quite thin oil and what tends to happen on big mile engines is that the stem seals tend to deteriorate and so a thicker oil should be used to reduce oil consumption.That or you need to get a nice engine rebuilt and then you will get no oil consuption again!

Im using 10W60 from my rebuild,im getting 2+bar on idle @ 90C water temp. and 1.8bar on idle @ 95C water temp.ON 3000rpm im at 4bar pressure and 5bar on WOT.My engine though has practically everything new,from stem seals to valve seats,to piston rings and cylinder hone.My oil consumption is i would say aroun 200-400ml @ 5K miles

Comment

Ok, maybe I try a thicker oil first.

The engine is running great and no smoking.
              Last edited by Ws2; 27 June 2008, 19:10.

Comment

yes,that is the idea!

Comment

I think you would be better off with something like this

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1145-sil...e-engines.aspx

Cheers
                  Guy
                  Use the code S2F and get 10% Club Discount
                  oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers
                  email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
                  phone: 01209 202944

Comment

Originally posted by oilman View Post
                    I think you would be better off with something like this

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1145-sil...e-engines.aspx

Cheers
                    Guy
                    sorry was that for me or WS2?

Comment

Any of you that drive hard, mod or track but it was aimed at the PAPVAS low oil pressure problem

Cheers
                      Guy
                      oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers

Comment

Ok thanks

Comment

i used to use 15W50 from motul before the engine rebuild,and i cannot say that i noticed any difference.Actually i did get a bit more oil consumption.
                          Of course my piston rings were quite a bit knackered then.My mechanic suggested the good old castrol after the rebuilt and i just followed his advice.
                          I do have a few castrol 10W60 left so i may use them before i try something different.
                          What is the difference between the silcolene 10W50 the motul 15W50(300V) and the castrol edge 10W60?
                          what would the noticable driving differences i mean in a newly rebuilt engine?

edit: by the way,as i mentioned earlier,i dont have a low oil pressure problem anymore.
                          New oil pump,new engine internals have cured both oil pressure and oil consumption

Comment

Originally posted by opieoils.co.uk
                            1 Litre
                            Price: £11.16 inc vat

1 x 20 Litres
                            Price: £170.38 inc vat

5 Litres
                            Price: £49.35 inc vat

You do student discount?

Comment

Originally posted by PapVas View Post
                              i used to use 15W50 from motul before the engine rebuild,and i cannot say that i noticed any difference.Actually i did get a bit more oil consumption.
                              Of course my piston rings were quite a bit knackered then.My mechanic suggested the good old castrol after the rebuilt and i just followed his advice.
                              I do have a few castrol 10W60 left so i may use them before i try something different.
                              What is the difference between the silcolene 10W50 the motul 15W50(300V) and the castrol edge 10W60?
                              what would the noticable driving differences i mean in a newly rebuilt engine?

edit: by the way,as i mentioned earlier,i dont have a low oil pressure problem anymore.
                              New oil pump,new engine internals have cured both oil pressure and oil consumption
                              Sorry for the late reply on this.

The difference between the Motul 300v 15w-50 and the Silkolene Pro S 10w-50 is viscosity, the 10w will flow better from cold then a 15w and they are both ester based synthetics. The Castrol 10w-60 is thicker when hot also, too thick IMO and is also lower quality then the 300v or the Pro S.

Cheers

Guy.

Comment

Originally posted by stiglet View Post
                                You do student discount?
                                No, but you do get S2 discount.

Cheers

Guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X