This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mihnea
    Simon, what's your opinion on Castrol TWS oil please?
    Quality wise it is actually pretty good stuff, a pao/ester blend synthetic. The only thing is the SAE60 is too thick, you dont need it.

Cheers

Simon.
    Use the code S2F and get 10% Club Discount
    oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers
    email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
    phone: 01209 202944

Comment

Originally posted by Billman
      And on the Mobil1 5W-50 Please
      This is a pao synthetic, again the quality is good being Mobil 1, however the 5w-50 grade is one that seems to be slowly being phased out. The reason for this, is because the oil has such as large viscosity gap the oil has to be propped up with vi improver to keep it stable. The vi improver is a consumable within the oil and gets used up. So an oil with the less vi improver the better.

Cheers

Simon.
      oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers

Comment

Hi Simon, How about the Mobil1 0W-40 ?
        I have heard mixed opinions on this so would be great to have your input.

Thanks.
        Bo
        91 S2 coupé - RIP
        98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

It is a good pao synthetic, not bad at all.

If you are in the market for a 5w-40/0w-40 then its well worth looking at.

Cheers

Simon.

Comment

most of my driving is high speed autobahn including 300+ km/h top speed runs. This is where I think SAE60 does make a difference over SAE50 or 40... what do you think?

Plus, TWS is better than normal RS 10W60 from all the data that I've seen so far..

Otherwise, motol 300v, any opinions???

Originally posted by oilman
            Quality wise it is actually pretty good stuff, a pao/ester blend synthetic. The only thing is the SAE60 is too thick, you dont need it.

Cheers

Simon.
            '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
            info@MRCTuning.com
            Workshop Directions

Comment

Any idea on peak oil/engine temps on those high speed runs?

Cheers

Simon.

Comment

Last time I've hit 305km/h on the GPS going uphill they were just slightly higher than 120 degrees C, that being with no oil cooler. I'm hoping an oil cooler will always keep them under 100.
                '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
                info@MRCTuning.com
                Workshop Directions

Comment

Make: Audi
                  Model: S2
                  Year: 1991
                  Engine Type: 3B
                  Engine Size: 2.2
                  Modifications: 280 bhp chip (and maybe spring, don't know yet) 2.5" exhaust, no kat
                  Driving style: normal, with some absurd moments

Note:
                  Oil temp: last week outside temperature was 17 degrees Celsius. I was warming the car up so the oil was 80 degrees. Then I did several 60-160 km/h runs and one 60-240 km/h and one 60-160 km/h run in 5th gear. In between there were short moments of normal driving or when hiting 240 km/h I let the car run out in gear. In all these moments oil temperature did not exceed 85 degrees. This surprises me as a lot of owners here see much higher temperatures. Or maybe you need a more constant (track?) and longer abuse to see 130+ degrees?

The previous owner put Castrol RS 10W-60 in. At first I wanted to reduce this to 10W-50. But given the above facts I probably have to go for a 10W-40 (one that is stable enough at 150 degrees, as stated by VW).

I am afraid the 10W-60 is so thick at the above mentioned temperature that it can hardly reach the difficult areas as 10W-60 at this temperature perhaps equals a 10W-40 in thickness at 50 degrees Celsius... Is there by the way any risk that the previous 10W-60 have "widen" out some caps so badly that a 10W-40 can never be used again?

What is your opinion on:
                  Total Quartz Racing 10W-50
                  Total Quartz 9000 5W-40
                  I think they both fullfill the VW norm and "our" company can buy this with very good conditions.

My previous Astra Turbo was cool as ice with it's big Mocal, I have never seen more than slightly over 100 degrees....

Comment

that being with no oil cooler.
                    I thought any Audi S2 or RS2 had an (small?) oil cooler? At least that is what the 3B workshop manual is suggesting...

I'm hoping an oil cooler will always keep them under 100.
                    Isn't 105 (make that also the absolute max) not better? For letting the condens escape, or is that already happening in the hotter areas in the engine?

Still 120 seems a nice figure, but then it also has a massive airflow at 305 km/h
                    Maybe oil temps are more of problem on track days with constant acceleration and relative low speeds...

Comment

Originally posted by 1975DCS
                      Maybe oil temps are more of problem on track days with constant acceleration and relative low speeds...
                      It is. Before mounting a large oilcooler I quickly got 130C oil temp at trackdays. Even when driving on ice in cold conditions. Used TWS 10-60 so should be OK. Now with large oilcooler ~110-120C max after a long pass on track. Thinking of using a 5-50 (0-40 in winter) for normal everyday driving instead of TWS all year.
                      Make: Audi
                      Model: Coupe Q
                      Year: 1989
                      Engine Type: Custom. AAF block with 7A head.
                      Engine Size: 2.5 L
                      Modifications: Custom everthing with ITS/Turbonetics GT66 w/Q-trim. 600bhp
                      Driving style: Normal everyday use with some "weak moments" + trackdays (5 - 6 weekends pr year)

Comment

I thought any Audi S2 or RS2 had an (small?) oil cooler? At least that is what the 3B workshop manual is suggesting...

Mihnea has no S2-RS2. He Sold us for an extra cylinder
                        Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

@1975DCS read my signature and you'll understand

www.MRCTuning.com
                          info@MRCTuning.com
                          Workshop Directions

Comment

@1975DCS read my signature and you'll understand
                            I see At least you will think that the newer 2.7T would have an oilcooler

Comment

Originally posted by Audi_CQ
                              I quickly got 130C oil temp at trackdays.
                              With the specs you are driving I am not surprised! No doubt I would want an oil cooler at that point! Maybe even a bigger coolant radiator as well!

If the oil quickly rose to 130 did it also exceed that? I don't do track days (I hate posh Zandvoort) so I will probably have a hard time getting to your oiltemp levels with only 280 bhp.

Comment

With the specs you are driving I am not surprised! No doubt I would want an oil cooler at that point! Maybe even a bigger coolant radiator as well!

If the oil quickly rose to 130 did it also exceed that? I don't do track days (I hate posh Zandvoort) so I will probably have a hard time getting to your oiltemp levels with only 280 bhp.
                                Specs are one thing, but oil temp was high even with the org. 136hp kv engine when used at trackdays. Oiltemp depends as much on rpm's as on bhp. Constant high rpm's at "slow" speeds creates high oiltemp even in stock engines.

I've got a bigger coolant radiator as well, but have to closely monitor engine temps at trackdays when the weather is warm.

When oil reached 130C I backed off for a lap or two to get temp down again. If not it would have got a lot higher I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X