Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could it be that your car (when it was 136 bhp) did not have any form of oilcooler at all? I don't know what temperatures an S2 (3B) will run on circuits...

Comment

Originally posted by 1975DCS
      Could it be that your car (when it was 136 bhp) did not have any form of oilcooler at all? I don't know what temperatures an S2 (3B) will run on circuits...
      You're right. No oilcooler as std on non turbo coupe's.

Comment

if the oil temps are so low,maybe your oil temp sender could be malfunctioning.

Comment

@ Mihnea I like Motul v300 5-40w as per Simons recommendation except the car seems to be using it quicker than the previous Mobil 15-50w. Good fuel econ and smoother acceleration.
          @Simon given the above facts (oil temp rarely above 100 standard RS2) should I stick with that Motul spec ?
          Alastair
          RS2

Comment

oilman,how often should i change this oil?Motul 300V competition 15W50? besides how often i will have to add oil,when should i do my complete oil change?

Comment

I'm using castrol rs 0w40 on my S4 2.2t. Oil temp goes around 130C when driving 200km/h (outside air temp +25C). But i think that by problem is missing oil cooler airguide. But I think that it's a good oil. No "tick" in engine after accelerations.

Comment

Originally posted by PapVas
                if the oil temps are so low,maybe your oil temp sender could be malfunctioning.
                You mean mine? It could be but the start up seems fine because after about 15 km it is 80 degrees. I don't know how to check the sender. I also have to mention that it is maybe the water temp thermostat as on highway (62 mph) driving water temp is around 80 degrees as well, but if I let the car idle for a while it does rise to 90 degrees (or to the point were the fan kicks in).

On my previous Astra temps were very high at first but than it turned out it had an 50-150 sender, with an Audi 50-170 gauge...
                Last edited by 1975DCS; 18 October 2006, 22:04.

Comment

water temp sender seems fine as you describe it.Oil temp sender in order to check it you must replace it with one that works i guess.

Comment

So about 75-85 degrees for the water is a normal figure and not too low?

Comment

depending on the sender that is installed and also the fact that the car is speeding at the time,id say yes

Comment

Yes this figure is at driving at 60-120 km/h...

Comment

I'm using Motul V300 20w60 i think is the best for my s4 is very good for the hi temperature

Comment

@ Oilman

What is your opinion on:
                            Esso Ultron 5W-40 (VW and Porsche approval)
                            Kroon Emperol 5W40 (PAO/HC based) (VW approval)
                            Total Quartz 9000 5W-40 (PAO based) (VW approval)

I can get these easily through work especially the Esso...

Comment

They are fine, the Esso will be fine. If it carries the Porsche approval its probably a PAO synthetic.

Cheers

Simon.
                              Use the code S2F and get 10% Club Discount
                              oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers
                              email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
                              phone: 01209 202944

Comment

Can anyone tell me where I can get some Mobil 5w-50 ? It's proved impossible to find in Belgium...

To Oilman, when I bought my car, I changed the oil very soon after buying it for peace of mind and put in Esso 5w-40. The car ran fine ( stock engine at the time ) but in winter, the tappets were noisy on a cold start and if I started hammering the engine, the tappets would start ticking away again till I would leave the engine idling for a few minutes... Also, in hot summer weather, just cruising within the speed limit a long distance on the highway would show 110 degree oil temp and pressure would fall just a tad under 4 Bars...

Switched to Castrol RS 10w-60 on MRC's advice and all the tappet sounds went away and the idling oil pressure went from 2 to 3 Bars and oil temp doesn't change anymore just by normal driving ( winter or summer ) except if I'm racing on the Nurburgring where it'll settle at 110-120 degrees.

I've read your posts and I still can't make up my mind between sticking with the Castrol RS or switching to the Mobil.

As winter is here, I'd like to know what's best for my Avant....

My engine now develops 400bhp with a hybrid turbo ( see signature )

Help please ! Thanx !
                                Midnight Blue S2 - SOLD - 1993 S2 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X