Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think about Agip Sint 2000 10W40? This is the oil that Audi used on S2 and RS2 when the cars was new here in Italy.
    How many oil normally a S2/RS2 consumes every 1000 Kms? In the user manual there is write that can reach a oil consume of 1 litre every 1000 Km.
    Thanks a lot!
    Alessio
    My life and my loves

Audi-Porsche Avant RS2
    Audi S6 C4 ABT Avant
    Audi S2 Coupe ABY
    Audi S2 Avant
    Audi Cabriolet 2.0E

Comment

• Hi Alessio

Yes, that Agip should be ok. I don't know that much about it, but a 10w-40 is an ok grade (5w-40 gives better cold start protection). It's a bit odd, a semi-synthetic with an ester content and overpriced over here, but if you can get it cheap, it's ok.

Cheers

Tim
      Use the code S2F and get 10% Club Discount
      oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers
      email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
      phone: 01209 202944

Comment

• Oilman, which viscosity would you recommend for an engine running 400hp+ ?

Currently running Mobil 1 5w50 sinthetic.

Thanks.

Comment

• 5w-50 is okay, 5w-50s tend to break down fairly quickly so they are soon a 5w-40, so you are better off buying a good 5w-40 in the first place.
          oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers

Comment

• Hi oilman!

What about Total Quartz 7000 10W40 for a S2 stock 230.000km and 1,4bar max. but soon 1,7/1,8bar max.

Thanks

Comment

• I would go for something a bit better. A 10w-50 full synthetic would be the way to go, especially as your climate is probably a bit (or a lot) hotter than us and you are about to turn teh boost up

Comment

• I have read a few good things about Pro Long oil which leaves a coting on the parts it lubricates. Is this a gimmick or a good thing?
                Also, please recommend which brand and viscosity for fast road in UK,
                Engine: 2.2 3B
                Power: 500ish bhp
                Many thanks
                CHris
                Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by oilman View Post
                  I would go for something a bit better. A 10w-50 full synthetic would be the way to go, especially as your climate is probably a bit (or a lot) hotter than us and you are about to turn teh boost up
                  what brand do you recomend me??

Comment

• Here are two good ones for the car.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-659-10w-50.aspx

Both are really good oils, absolute top of the range ones, so go with any brand preference you have. I'm not sure what oils you have in Spain, but we can send them to you.

Comment

• Originally posted by jogi730 View Post
                      I have read a few good things about Pro Long oil which leaves a coting on the parts it lubricates. Is this a gimmick or a good thing?
                      Also, please recommend which brand and viscosity for fast road in UK,
                      Engine: 2.2 3B
                      Power: 500ish bhp
                      Many thanks
                      CHris
                      Hi Chris

I'm guessing the good things you read have been written by Pro Long or someone associated with them. It's really not good stuff and potentially harmful. Here are the comments of a highly respected oil chemist that we often work with.

Try and put them off…you’ll save a few engines! If it was just harmless rubbish I wouldn’t mind so much, but it ought to have its name changed to ‘Terminate’! The chlorinated compounds in it corrode engine internals in the long term, and any short term apparent benefits are probably due to it being thick, so it quietens rattles like the old rip-off STP used to do. Of course, folks will convince themselves that it is brilliant; there’s one born every minute! The placebo effect is very powerful.

If somebody wants to give their engine a treat, tell ‘em to use top-quality shear-stable synthetic oil, made by people who know what they’re doing, not some barmy idiot. ‘Prolong’ and the dozens of similar ‘snake oils’ like it are in fact based on 1930s technology, and their disadvantages were known 80years ago! See attachments.

I know they’ll tell you that they’ve got the chlorinated additive problem sorted….well, they haven’t. And as for the claim that they have some ‘secret’ that the likes of me don’t know about, then to say the boot is on the other foot would stand a good chance of winning ‘Understatement of the Year’!

So save your money and your car and leave it on the shelf.

I'd go for a good 10w-50 in your car, much better than poor oil with a lot of additives added to it.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-659-10w-50.aspx

Cheers

Tim

Comment

• Thanks! I know silkolene for motorbikes, I think that I can manage silkolene

Bye

Comment

• Oilman whats the best oil for an 1998 Audi S8 4.2 V8?
                          91 S2 coupé - RIP
                          98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

• I would use a 5w-40 synthetic and you will find those through the link below.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XFS, Fuchs Supersyn and Mobil Synt S are good, cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

Comment

• Thanks for your time..
                              91 S2 coupé - RIP
                              98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

• I used now the Amsoil 10w-40 (specs seem similar to M1 5w-50). What is your opinion on this oil?
                                Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Working...
                                X