This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mouse View Post
    Hi oilman, I was wondering if you have a recommendation for the best oil to use in a rear torsen diff?
    (torsen type rear diff originally fitted to early '90's Audi 'V8' (D1 Typ 44) to be installed in an Audi S2 coupe).

These diffs can run very hot especially with track use (which will occur occasionally) so I believe that normally a heavyweight oil is recommended. . . specifically though I was wondering if you knew what type of Redline gear oil would be best in this application - one of their normal gear oils? (and what viscosity?) or their Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil ?

As the torsen diff works on friction between gears, would the shockproof oil be a bad idea because it is: ?
    I wouldn't go for the Heavy Shockproof, my choice would be the Redline 75w-90 GL5 if the temps aren't silly, but if it's getting really hot, the Redline 80w-140.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-415-red-...atfs-mtfs.aspx

Cheers

Tim
    Use the code S2F and get 10% Club Discount
    oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers
    email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
    phone: 01209 202944

Comment

• Hy Tim!
      Sry to bother!
      For the running in an 20v turbo engine... what you think about the 10W40 Castrol Magnatec?
      I hope will be ok for 500km...then..iff the engine is running fine i would like to switch to 10W50 Silkolene.
      And...2 question...I have in an 20v turbo powered Audi v8 the Motul racing 15w50...
      With oem oil radiator and, at outside temps over 30 degrees celsius..driving on highway at higher speeds...the oil temp starts to rise at almoast 120...the point where i slow down offcourse....is this ok for this oil..or i should change the radiator or oil?
      Thank You!
      Regards!
      Eugen

Comment

• Hi Eugen

The Magnatec is fine for running in and when it's ready, the Pro S is ideal.

120C is fine, that Motul is good for up to about 150C.

Cheers

Tim
        oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers

Comment

• Thank you very much Tim!
          All the best!
          Eugen

Comment

• Hi, I have made approximate 6000km with Castrol edge 10w-60 an they look pretty dark. Is it good? Should keep use them or go to something else?

Can you please tell me what is best to worst between:

Castrol edge 10w-60
            M1 rally formula 5w50
            Valvoline VR1 5w-50 or 10w-60
            Shell helix ultra racing 10w-60
            Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• What is the benefit of ester-based oils? How does the Gulf Competition oils manage to Motul, Redline etc..? Was thinking of this http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60122-gu...-oil-5w40.aspx but do you recommend some other oil or other viscosity? We have quite cold winters here, but also hot summers. The car is used mostly on the road but also on trackdays. Valvoline SynPower 5w40 rises to 130C degrees on track, on higway road ~100-110C degrees.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
              Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
              BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
              BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Originally posted by Billman View Post
                Hi, I have made approximate 6000km with Castrol edge 10w-60 an they look pretty dark. Is it good? Should keep use them or go to something else?

Can you please tell me what is best to worst between:

Castrol edge 10w-60
                M1 rally formula 5w50
                Valvoline VR1 5w-50 or 10w-60
                Shell helix ultra racing 10w-60

The edge is the best one, followed by the Mobil 1 and Shell. The Valvoline is pretty basic in comparison. It depends on how hot your oil is getting, but I would think that the Edge 10w-60 is too thick.

Cheers

Tim

Comment

• Originally posted by Thuppu View Post
                  What is the benefit of ester-based oils? How does the Gulf Competition oils manage to Motul, Redline etc..? Was thinking of this http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60122-gu...-oil-5w40.aspx but do you recommend some other oil or other viscosity? We have quite cold winters here, but also hot summers. The car is used mostly on the road but also on trackdays. Valvoline SynPower 5w40 rises to 130C degrees on track, on higway road ~100-110C degrees.
                  Ester based oils have a few advantages
                  1. Stick to metal surfaces, so they give better cold start protection
                  2. More stable at high temps
                  3. Better lubrication
                  4. Can help the car to run quieter

The Gulf is a really good oil and very good value. 130C is a bit high for the Valvoline, that's around the top limit for the ester based 5w-40s. I'd say the Gulf 5w-40 would be a good choice.

Cheers

Tim

Comment

• Originally posted by oilman View Post
                    The edge is the best one, followed by the Mobil 1 and Shell. The Valvoline is pretty basic in comparison. It depends on how hot your oil is getting, but I would think that the Edge 10w-60 is too thick.

Cheers

Tim
                    The engine has forged internals thats why I think that the 10-60 is good since at start up I have more clearance.
                    Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• True, but I'd probably go for a 10w-50 rather than 10w-60.

Cheers

Tim

Comment

• I have a question. I don't know if it is oil related but my engine turned around roughly 60K miles mostly driven with 10W60 and 10w50 oils. It dropped compression and turned out to have mirror finish cylinders on inspection. Not only that, but the wear was such that a simple hone doesn't cure it and I am going to oversized pistons again.

Since my car is used everyday, has relatively low coolant temperatures due to lower thermostat and valves, and it does small and long drives on a daily basis, with occasional fast driven portions.

Can the cylinder wear be related in any way to the thicker based oil? Should I be using 10w40 or 5w40?

Comment

• Originally posted by oilman View Post
                          True, but I'd probably go for a 10w-50 rather than 10w-60.

Cheers

Tim
                          What makes models on the 10-50 region?
                          Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• Castrol 10w60
                            Fuchs Titan 10w50

Comment

• Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
                              I have a question. I don't know if it is oil related but my engine turned around roughly 60K miles mostly driven with 10W60 and 10w50 oils. It dropped compression and turned out to have mirror finish cylinders on inspection. Not only that, but the wear was such that a simple hone doesn't cure it and I am going to oversized pistons again.

Since my car is used everyday, has relatively low coolant temperatures due to lower thermostat and valves, and it does small and long drives on a daily basis, with occasional fast driven portions.

Can the cylinder wear be related in any way to the thicker based oil? Should I be using 10w40 or 5w40?

I can't be certain of the answer as to what has caused the damage. Is the car modified?

Comment

• What would be the recommended oil change interval for a daily driver (20 000 km per year) with ester based oils like Redline or Gulf Competition 5W-40?

Comment

Working...
                                X