This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Dan

If you are doing so few miles, I'd think about using a good oil and extending the oil change interval to something like 15-18 months.

Cheers

Tim
    Use the code S2F and get 10% Club Discount
    oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers
    email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
    phone: 01209 202944

Comment

• How about one from the US?

1991 Coupe Quattro 7a (soon Turbo) w/~150,000 miles.
      Yearly ambient temps range from 100°F to -10°F but more short drives than long so currently no crazy oil temps. Next year I'll be doing more track days and Mt Drives.

What say ye? 5w-40 from Red Line, Amsoil, Castrol...
      1995 1PissedOff90sigpic1991 USDM CQ 7aT

Comment

• Hello, what you think about Castrol Magnatec 5W40 C3? Someone use it?
        Thanks!
        Alessio
        My life and my loves

Audi-Porsche Avant RS2
        Audi S6 C4 ABT Avant
        Audi S2 Coupe ABY
        Audi S2 Avant
        Audi Cabriolet 2.0E

Comment

• It's an ok oil, but there are better for an S2.

Cheers

Tim
          oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers

Comment

• Hi,

what are you thoughts about Bardahl products. I seen commercials how good they are compare to Motul products. Is it true?

And I'm more interested in one of they're oil additive Turbo protect with combination of motul Lemans 20w60?

Also do you recomend engine flush additive to be use before change?
            Last edited by Nik0las; 17 February 2012, 11:03.

Comment

• If you are using an oil like the Motul 300v, trust me you do not need to bother with any additives. The 300v is at the top of its game and adding additives will not improve things, if anything it will mess with the oils additive pack so leave well alone is my advice.

Bhardahl, I dont know too much about the oil itself so I have to be carefull what I say... They are watching

Cheers

Guy

Comment

• what about engine flush/cleaner fluids are they good before changing oil? I conser about the fact that always there will be some part of it after draining the oil and this could mess up fresh oil

Comment

• No need for a flush IMO, good quality oil and regular changes and all will be nice and clean.

You are correct, you never get all the oil out... This also means you will never get all the flush out and that will start to get to work on your fresh oil I would rather have a bit of old oil in there.

Cheers

Guy

Comment

• Oilman,

do you know what the HTHS is for the Gulf Competition 5w-40?

Found the HTHS for the 0w-30(3.58 mPas) but can't find the value for the other Gulf oils.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                    Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                    BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                    BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• I can't find it at the moment. I'll keep looking and get back to you if I see it.

Cheers

Tim

Comment

• Heres a interesting one.

Dry sumped system with a 5 cylinder engine producing 700hp for circuit racing and time attack.

Using E85, lines and tank hold aprox some where around 7-8lt

How regularly do you recommend the oil to be change due fuel contamination from the Ethanol or would you just suggest checking after every use?

Also which oil would you recommend and whats the cheapest way to buy it !

Many thanks James
                        Chef

Comment

• Originally posted by oilman View Post
                          I can't find it at the moment. I'll keep looking and get back to you if I see it.

Cheers

Tim
                          Ok, thanks. I'm just curious. I ordered a 20L can of 5w-40 from you and looking forward to see how it performaces.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                          Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                          BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                          BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Originally posted by terrybullwon View Post
                            Heres a interesting one.

Dry sumped system with a 5 cylinder engine producing 700hp for circuit racing and time attack.

Using E85, lines and tank hold aprox some where around 7-8lt

How regularly do you recommend the oil to be change due fuel contamination from the Ethanol or would you just suggest checking after every use?

Also which oil would you recommend and whats the cheapest way to buy it !

Many thanks James
                            Hi James

I think the best option is going to be a really good 15w-50, lihe the Gulf Competition, Motul 300V, Redline or Fuchs Pro R.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-660-15w-50-engine-oil.aspx

The cheapest way to buy is the Gulf in 20L drums at £99 at the moment.

I'd check it to see how the fuel dilution is affecting it.

Cheers

Tim

Comment

• There's quite a jump between the gulf price and motul.

Is there any real quality difference?
                              Chef

Comment

• They'll tell you there is, but there are a lot of people using the Gulf without any issues whatsoever and we have sponsored drivers who have used it for 24hr racing, so it's definately good stuff.

Cheers

Tim

Comment

Working...
                                X