Milage - 165000 miles
    Engine Type - ABY
    Engine Size - 2.2
    Modifications -Chipped to around 290 ish
    Driving style - normal and fast

Fully or semi synthetic?

Cheers
    Hi

I would say a good synthetic 5w-40 would probably be the way to go, unless you are getting high (over 125C) oil temps, then a 10w-50 is the best choice.*
    http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx
    http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-659-10w-50.aspx
    Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS Nanodrive, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition.

Cheers

Tim
    Use the code S2F and get 10% Club Discount
    oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers
    email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
    phone: 01209 202944

Comment

• Originally posted by oilman View Post
      Hi

I would say a good synthetic 5w-40 would probably be the way to go, unless you are getting high (over 125C) oil temps, then a 10w-50 is the best choice.*
      http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx
      Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS Nanodrive, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition.

Cheers

Tim

Cheers Tim
      95 Coupe Kingfisher ABY

Comment

• Martin your driving style is flat out don't lie

Comment

• Originally posted by Drummer87 View Post
          Martin your driving style is flat out don't lie
          it is nothing of the sort
          95 Coupe Kingfisher ABY

Comment

• Hey oilman,

any opinion on the Fuchs Supersyn 5w-40? What synthetic is it?
            Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• The Supersyn is a good oil for the money, it's not top end stuff, but it's definitely comparable to some oils that cost a fair bit more. It's a group III, hydrocracked oil.

Cheers

Tim
              oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers

Comment

• Tim,

The oil's you recommend are difficult to find here in Holland. Here a lot of people use Castrol as the preferred brand. In my case that would be the Castrol Magnatec 5W40. What is your opinion re this oil? Or would I be better of using something like Shell Helix?

Evert

Comment

• Originally posted by oilman View Post
                  That is a very good oil, but too thick. A 10w-50 is a better option.

The Nanodrive CFS is, on paper, the best oil available, but the Pro S and CFS are both really good oils, so all are good choices for your car.

Cheers

Tim
                  Hi Tim,
                  why you think that oil is not the right choice? Especially when the oil-temperature is very high (>130°C)

"About Motul 300V Le Mans 20W-60 Racing Engine Oil
                  For racing cars with atmospheric or turbocharged engines, race engines operating at very high temperature and high rpm : race on tracks, endurance races; Le Mans 24H, rallyes, rally raid, Paris/Dakar, dirt or ice races.
                  For engines producing very high fuel dilution in the oil, gasoline or diesel engines, turbocharged, direct injection and catalytic converters, vintage cars."

I know some very good tuner here in Germany and they all use only this oil especially for the ADU / ABY.

Cheers
                  Carsten

Comment

• Originally posted by CarstenH View Post
                    Hi Tim,
                    why you think that oil is not the right choice? Especially when the oil-temperature is very high (>130°C)

For racing cars with atmospheric or turbocharged engines, race engines operating at very high temperature and high rpm : race on tracks, endurance races; Le Mans 24H, rallyes, rally raid, Paris/Dakar, dirt or ice races.
                    For engines producing very high fuel dilution in the oil, gasoline or diesel engines, turbocharged, direct injection and catalytic converters, vintage cars."

I know some very good tuner here in Germany and they all use only this oil especially for the ADU / ABY.

Cheers
                    Carsten
                    Hy Carsten! Sorry the highjack! I use'd this oil in my engine....and all i can say is that, at over 100 km per hour on highway...the oil temp was started to pass 140 degrees...
                    Changed oil with 10W60 from Castrol...i didint had 10W50 At that point....and the oil temp was at 110 even at 250 km/h and +40 degrees Celsius outside temp...
                    So...just my 2 pence...is that the 20W60 is too thick and not flowing good thus not cooling....
                    Just my experience!
                    Hope this helps!
                    Eugen

Comment

• Originally posted by kevert View Post
                      Tim,

The oil's you recommend are difficult to find here in Holland. Here a lot of people use Castrol as the preferred brand. In my case that would be the Castrol Magnatec 5W40. What is your opinion re this oil? Or would I be better of using something like Shell Helix?

Evert
                      Hi Evert

The Magnatec and Helix are okay, but they aren't in the same league as the oils I mentioned. We can ship over to Holland, it's £14.95 for up to 20kg (4 cans of oil).

Cheers

Tim

Comment

• Originally posted by CarstenH View Post
                        Hi Tim,

Cheers
                        Carsten

Originally posted by Pirvu Eugen View Post
                        Hy Carsten! Sorry the highjack! I use'd this oil in my engine....and all i can say is that, at over 100 km per hour on highway...the oil temp was started to pass 140 degrees...
                        Changed oil with 10W60 from Castrol...i didint had 10W50 At that point....and the oil temp was at 110 even at 250 km/h and +40 degrees Celsius outside temp...
                        So...just my 2 pence...is that the 20W60 is too thick and not flowing good thus not cooling....
                        Just my experience!
                        Hope this helps!
                        Eugen
                        Hi Carsten

Eugen has got it, the oil is too thick to flow properly so doesn't cool the engine as well as it could.

The Motul 20w-60 is one of the best oils on the market, real top end stuff, but it's only right for a very few cars, really in things like endurance racers where there is prolonged hard use and possible fuel dilution. It's made thicker than you really want it to be, but that's taking into long race use where after a while the oil will be thinner than when it started the race.

Cheers

Tim

Comment

• What is the opinion that the Motul 300V oils start to loose its properties quick when used on road cars or motorcycles? Some say that after 1000 kms it is no longer protecting enough because it degrades (not fuel dillution). Is it true or just rumours?
                          Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• I have used Mobil 1 Motorsport 15w50 and 10W60 but have recently been told that these are not ideal for a turbocharged engine. as I am coming up to an oil change, what is a similar quality oil that will work better? I have been recommended Silkolene Pro S and Fuchs Titan w50. I use the car on occasional track days, where the oil temperature gauge heads towards a steady 130degC.

Edit:- just looking at your offers section I see that there is also the Motul 300V, where does this fit in with the brands mentioned above?
                            Last edited by Rusty; 30 January 2013, 10:53.
                            Cheers'en, AndyC
                            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• Originally posted by Billman View Post
                              What is the opinion that the Motul 300V oils start to loose its properties quick when used on road cars or motorcycles? Some say that after 1000 kms it is no longer protecting enough because it degrades (not fuel dillution). Is it true or just rumours?
                              No, the 300V will last a lot longer than 1000km. Yes, it is designed as a track oil, but there are plenty of people that use it for 5000-10000 mile changes in their road cars and have done for years with no issues at all.

Cheers

Tim

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                                I have used Mobil 1 Motorsport 15w50 and 10W60 but have recently been told that these are not ideal for a turbocharged engine. as I am coming up to an oil change, what is a similar quality oil that will work better? I have been recommended Silkolene Pro S and Fuchs Titan w50. I use the car on occasional track days, where the oil temperature gauge heads towards a steady 130degC.

Edit:- just looking at your offers section I see that there is also the Motul 300V, where does this fit in with the brands mentioned above?

If it's getting up to 130C, you want a 50. Personally I'd go for a 10w-50 if it's getting road use as well as track time as the 10w will give better cold start protection than a 15w.

The Nanodrive CFS is, on paper, the best oil available, but the Pro S and CFS are both really good oils, so all are good choices for your car.

Cheers

Tim

Comment

Working...
                                X