This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi

A 75w-90 is ideal (a little odd the oil was red, red normally means ATF, but not always).

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-673-75w-90-gear-oil.aspx

If you want to go for the best, the Millers CRX 75w-90 NT, Gulf Competition, Motul Gear 300, Fuchs Race Synchro, Red Line MT90 and Millers TRX are ideal. The Castrol Universal/Universal Plus/Syntrans Multivehicle, Motul Motylgear and Fuchs Gear Syn are all decent alternatives.

Cheers

Tim
    Use the code S2F and get 10% Club Discount
    oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers
    email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
    phone: 01209 202944

Comment

• Great!! Thank you! I will order today!!

Comment

• Hi Oilman;

Make:Audi
        Model:RS2 Avant
        Year: 1994
        Engine type: 2.2 5cyl turbo
        Performance modifications: none
        Driving style: B roads, some motorway.
        I like in the UK
        Oil temp currently sits at around 90 when stationary, drops a little when pressing on.

Opie website recommends 5W-30 - is this correct?

Comment

• Tell us about coolant. Is there some magic coolant, that manages to do a better job?

Comment

• Originally posted by ped View Post
            Hi Oilman;

Make:Audi
            Model:RS2 Avant
            Year: 1994
            Engine type: 2.2 5cyl turbo
            Performance modifications: none
            Driving style: B roads, some motorway.
            I like in the UK
            Oil temp currently sits at around 90 when stationary, drops a little when pressing on.

Opie website recommends 5W-30 - is this correct?
            Hi

No, that's not correct, I'll try to get it corrected.

I would use a 5w-40

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT, Motul Sport/300V, Red Line and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XF Longlife, Fuchs GT1 XTL/Supersyn, Gulf Formula G/ULE, Shell Helix and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim
            oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers

Comment

• Originally posted by sandman1111 View Post
              Tell us about coolant. Is there some magic coolant, that manages to do a better job?
              Yes and no. Using a good coolant can reduce the temp compared to a budget one, but there are products like the Red Line Waterwetter, Millers Extra Cool and Motul Mocool that are added to the coolant to help it flow faster and reduce the temp by up to 15C.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-458-coolant-antifreeze.aspx

Cheers

Tim

Comment

• oilman, what would say about this test? https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/
                sigpic

Comment

• Hi

I'm very busy today, so don't have time to read the whole thing, but the bit about ZDDP was nice to see, so many people think that ZDDP is the main ingredient for protection in an oil. ZDDP is useful, but there are plenty of other things that protect an engine.

Cheers

Tim

Comment

• Thanks Tim. I've heard good things about Fuchs before so may try that.

Comment

• I have one more question. It is about engine assembly lube. Is it really needed? And what you guys think is a good engine assembly lube?

Comment

• I think it's a personal preference thing in most cases, some people just use a thick mineral oil, others use assembly lube. If the engine is being put together slowly, I think the assembly lube is the better option as they don't drain away like a normal oil does.

The Millers and Red Line assembly lubes are popular.

Cheers

Tim

Comment

• Originally posted by oilman View Post
                          ZDDP is useful, but there are plenty of other things that protect an engine.
                          Could you please give some examples ?

Comment

• There are other antiwear additives, such as ZDDT, friction modifiers, detergents etc in the additive package that are helping to protect. The oil itself keeps components apart, which stops them rubbing together.

Cheers

Tim

Comment

• I understand that, but when I was talking about examples I was meaning exact additives which you could recommend like you do recommend oils; maybe from your own experience.

Comment

• Hi

The additives in the oil are part of an additive pack that is supplied to the oil company, by an additive company. The oil company blends the additives with the oil basestock, leading to the finished oil. As the additive pack is not produced by the oil company, the people at the oil company often do not know the exact content of the additive pack, but someone at the oil company will have asked for an additive pack with certain properties and the additive company produces that. Because the oil company doesn't have much control over the additives, the end user has little control at all.

With an S2, if you want the best protection, I would look for an oil that meets the API SL spec (co contains plenty of ZDDP), is ester based and is also a full synthetic. Other than picking a API SL oil, there isn't a lot you can do about the additives used.

Cheers

Tim

Comment

Working...
                                X