Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil temps stays low, 100-110C on hard abuse, why I don't wan't to go higher grade. ~80C on normal cruising. Also thick oil can cavitate in the oil pump easier on high rpm's. Have been really plesed with this oil, good pressure, no ticking lifters etc, not going to like water as some oils do. The turbo bearing failing is some other issue then...

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
    Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
    BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
    BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Hi

As the oil temp is staying low, the 5w-40 makes sense, I thought the oil would have got hotter than that. You're right about the cavitation, not something that a lot of people think about. It does look like the turbo failure is linked to something else.

Cheers

Tim
      Use the code S2F and get 10% Club Discount
      oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers
      email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
      phone: 01209 202944

Comment

• With AAN stock oil cooler temps was 130-140C on track, and with this 23 row cooler they are much lower.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
        Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
        BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
        BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• That explains a lot
          oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers

Comment

• Hy Oilman, i was looking on your site for some Millers Oils NANODRIVE CFS 10w-50 which i always use in my S2 but its says its not longer available? Way is this and can i still order it?
            1360kg/600Whp Avant 0-200km/h 9sec

Comment

• Hi

It's changed to Nanodrive+, so reduces friction further still, but we're waiting for it to arrive, should be here any day now.

Cheers

Tim

Comment

• Okay sounds good! I will wait!
                1360kg/600Whp Avant 0-200km/h 9sec

Comment

• Audi s2 400hp holset hx35 turbo. Got low oil pressure at tick over when hot it drops to 1bar but could be just the turbo flowing to much oil. I've been running Fuchs pro c-3 5w30 and it's ready to change and want to try and up the pressure at idle. What would you recommend?

Comment

• Hello,

Make: Audi
                    Model: Coupe
                    Year: 1995
                    Engine Type: Petrol, V6
                    Engine Size: 2.6L
                    Modifications: no modifications
                    Driving style: Daily short commuting (8 miles) with regular blasts and occasional weekend toy.
                    Mileage: 300k miles

Make: Ford
                    Model: Mustang
                    Year: 1969
                    Engine Type: Petrol, V8, hydraulic lifter, single cam.
                    Engine Size: 5.8L
                    Modifications: Fresh engine rebuild, multi spark discharge electronic ignition, edelbrock 650cfm carburetor, Edelbrock rpm air gap intake, hooker headers, custom non cat exhaust, aftermarket lifters, higher compression heads.
                    Driving style: 50/50 regular driving / spirited
                    Climate: Only driven in summer and only in warm climate, ie 10-35 DegC.

As it is an old V8 engine with single cam and hydraulic lifters, I would assume I would need zinc additive or oil with more zinc in it. Currently running Castrol magnatec 10w40. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks a lot,
                    Mindaugas

Comment

• Originally posted by JOSH,S ABY S2 View Post
                      Audi s2 400hp holset hx35 turbo. Got low oil pressure at tick over when hot it drops to 1bar but could be just the turbo flowing to much oil. I've been running Fuchs pro c-3 5w30 and it's ready to change and want to try and up the pressure at idle. What would you recommend?
                      Hi

I would use a 5w-40 synthetic, it's a bit thicker so will keep the pressure up a bit when hot.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT+, Motul Sport/300V, Red Line and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XF Longlife, Castrol Edge/Magnatec, Fuchs GT1 XTL/Supersyn, Shell Helix and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

Comment

• Originally posted by Finner View Post
                        Hello,

Make: Audi
                        Model: Coupe
                        Year: 1995
                        Engine Type: Petrol, V6
                        Engine Size: 2.6L
                        Modifications: no modifications
                        Driving style: Daily short commuting (8 miles) with regular blasts and occasional weekend toy.
                        Mileage: 300k miles

Make: Ford
                        Model: Mustang
                        Year: 1969
                        Engine Type: Petrol, V8, hydraulic lifter, single cam.
                        Engine Size: 5.8L
                        Modifications: Fresh engine rebuild, multi spark discharge electronic ignition, edelbrock 650cfm carburetor, Edelbrock rpm air gap intake, hooker headers, custom non cat exhaust, aftermarket lifters, higher compression heads.
                        Driving style: 50/50 regular driving / spirited
                        Climate: Only driven in summer and only in warm climate, ie 10-35 DegC.

As it is an old V8 engine with single cam and hydraulic lifters, I would assume I would need zinc additive or oil with more zinc in it. Currently running Castrol magnatec 10w40. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks a lot,
                        Mindaugas
                        Hi Mindaugas

I would use a 5w-40 synthetic as the best option for the Audi.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT+, Motul Sport/300V, Red Line and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XF Longlife, Fuchs GT1 XTL/Supersyn, Gulf Formula G/ULE, Shell Helix and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

As a budget choice, a 10w-40 will be fine and I would either go for the Fuchs Syn MC, Shell Helix, Millers Trident/EE Nanodrive, Castrol Magnatec, Mobil Super 2000 or Motul 6100

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-657-10w-40.aspx

With the Mustang, I would use the Millers Classic Pistoneezes running in oil to get it run in.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69293-mi...in-oil-30.aspx

After that, the best choices are the Fuchs Pro R in either 15w-50 or 20w-50 or Millers Classic High Performance, which are top end ester oils.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68899-fu...ngine-oil.aspx
                        http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69411-fu...ngine-oil.aspx
                        http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-77374-mi...ngine-oil.aspx

The Valvoline VR1, Millers Classic/Classic Sport, Castrol XL, Silkolene Silkolube and Motul Classic 20w-50 are good cheaper alternatives.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-661-20w-50.aspx

All of those have sufficiently high ZDDP contents (the Pro R actually has far higher ZDDP content than traditional classic oils).

Cheers

Tim

Comment

• cheers tim I'm guna go for the fuchs pro s

Comment

• Good choice

Comment

• Thanks for that!

Comment

• Hi Tim

I've upgraded my s2 to RS2 standard spec , and I've used the quantum platinum 5/40 in the past as per audi / TPS. / dealer.. I wondered if you know if this oil is any cop and or are there any better 5/40 you'd recommend ? Thanks Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X