Problem after upgrading to RS2 Specification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feedback from Dmitri.

As the car is not a RS2, most likely it was set to 4 bar.
    Either way, even if it was set to 3.8, it would run 2.6% richer on WOT, so AFR would be 11.5 instead of 11.8, irrelevant difference, most likely things like an aged MAF and other intricacies specific to the car give a bigger contribution to the variance than a 0.2 bar difference in fuel pressure.

I will give full details of each test and what I find, hoping to find this issue ASAP.

Thanks Dmitri for your feedback

Comment

I was using some special ngk plugs which my mechanic specially ordered for car but switched to normal Bosch rs2 plugs from agents when those other plugs were giving me issues

Comment

Not 100% sure but I cleaned the MAF for the 100th time today and the car ran well. Going to order a new RS2 MAF and connectors.

Now more pain, the water cooled manifold has started to leak. Going to order new gaskets and MFTS.

Does this car never give up.

Comment

Originally posted by orsum
          Not 100% sure but I cleaned the MAF for the 100th time today and the car ran well. Going to order a new RS2 MAF and connectors.

Now more pain, the water cooled manifold has started to leak. Going to order new gaskets and MFTS.

Does this car never give up.
          Did you clean the maf connector pins as I described in my thread? You have to actually take the female pins out of the connector body to do it, it’s the only way to clean the part of the pin which makes contact with the male in the MAF. Often the act of in-plugging and re-plugging will cure it for a few hours or days, but if you don’t properly clean the inner mating surface of the female with 1000 grade wet and dry and contact cleaner it will always come back. Obviously cutting the old pins off and replacing with new gold ones will also work!

Keep the faith mate, once fixed these cars do stay fixed for many happy miles.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

Because I need a reliable car for my trip though Africa I am not going to do a top job cleaning the connections but rather replace the pins and MAF. Breakdowns are a no no.
            Attached Files

Comment

Some critical update suggestions (been there done that):

1. Replace the rubber hose that goes from the water rail to the turbo (see added picture). The ID on this hose is approximately 10mm.
              2. Replace the oil pressure switch (failed oil pressure switch almost killed my engine).
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Will do

Comment

Good tips
                  Was going to suggest, this hose might be the source of your leak.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

Took the car for another drive lots of hesitation and what sounds like a big boost leak. Pulled the following codes.

Address 01: Engine Labels: None
                    Part No: Stg 3 Rev 3
                    Component: prj: audichip@gmail.com
                    VCID: 45D6A112CCBC379F28C-4A84

3 Faults Found:
                    00553 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
                    07-10 - Signal too Low - Intermittent
                    00544 - Maximum Boost Pressure Exceeded
                    27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
                    00513 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
                    03-00 - No Signal
                    Readiness: N/A

Comment

See last post by prj in this thread:https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...ssure-exceeded

One of the software controlled safety features is possibly activated. Looks like the 00544 code can be triggered by a unexpected MAF reading. Is the ECU cutting the fuel delivery?
                      Last edited by Dynasty; 3 December 2017, 13:36.

Comment

The sooner I get my boost test kit the better.

Comment

Block the maf hose with a can and use a foot pump connected to one of the vacuum pipes. My moneys on either the intercooler oring or pcv check valve

Comment

Hi mike74 PCV possible, no O ring on the intercooler it has the MarkH modification, it could be the mod but I doubt it. Hope to do the checks the coming weekend.

My money is on the MAF, I hope not its 7200 SA Rand or 400 UK pounds if I get the RS2 MAF.

Comment

If it is it may be worth ditching the maf and paying a tad more but going stand alone ecu. Not sure if PRJ- Dmitri has launched his own yet. But vems plug n play seems to be a popular choice.
                              F I R E U P T H E Q U A T T R O

1996 S2 coupe aqua green sold
                              1990 MK2 Golf gti 16v oak green sold

Comment

At this stage I doubt I will move away from the MAF.

A replacement RS2 MAF is available to me, I have placed an order for new gold connectors for the MAF plug and a replacement Lambda sensor.

First job is fix the water leak that has just appeared. Also while in that area replace the PCV and other bits. Then fit new MAF pins. Test the car under load.

If problem still exists then check for a boost leak. If boost leaks are found then fix and test.

If problem is solved I will take the car in to have the 3" DP with new Bosch replacement Lambda. If its not fixed then I will test the MAF voltages. by then I think if its not solved I will get my gun out and shoot the car.

With spares being hard to get I will buy an RS2 MAF fit it and keep the ABY as a spare.

Comment

Working...
                                X