No announcement yet.

Problem after upgrading to RS2 Specification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible you’re getting a heat spike and the MFTS is shutting down boost? You could unplug it to check..

Just to be clear, the WGFV can only *increase* boost, so if boost drops to 0.4 Bar WGFV is *not* operating.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

The MFTS is new it was changed when I did the water manifold leak. I think I am right in saying the ECU does not use the MFTS on the S2 ABY it uses the temperature sensor at the back of the block but I will trend the engine temperature during my next testing to see is what is happening with the engine temperature.

WGFV when switched off results in spring boost of 0.4 bar with a standard spring which is what the car has. From that the boost is obtained when the WGFV is switched on and controlled on and off to the desired boost pressure. When the ECU has seen an issue the I think the WGFV is switched off to obtain the 0.4 bar spring boost. What is confusing me is why no faults are being logged.

To me this indicates the WGFV could be sticking. Can the WGFV be clean????

Basically the WGFV is nothing more than a solenoid valve and knowing solenoid valves spool get dirty and they can stick open or closed.

Or the signal from the ECU to switch the WGFV on or off has been activated to go off because the ECU is seeing a possible issue. But why no fault logged in the ECU.

Even though I have a new Bosch pump and new filter and the tank was flushed clean I am also thinking it could be a fuel pressure issue. If it is then why no fault logged in the ECU.

Comment

The ECU uses the sensor on the back of the head to calculate fuel enrichment yes.
        The MFTS feeds the temp gauge on the dash but also sends an over-temp signal to the ECU which will revert to spring pressure. Unplugging the MFTS will rule out this possibility.

Yes the WGFV can stick, you can clean it with GT85 or similar.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Should the over temp show up on the fault log?

Will have to read up more about this MFTS

Last edited by orsum; 22 March 2018, 08:44. Reason: link removed

Comment

Originally posted by orsum
            Should the over temp show up on the fault log?

Will have to read up more about this MFTS
            No it doesn’t show. Neither do knock sensors playing up.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Looks like testing will only happen next weekend. Granddaughter getting christened this weekend

I hope the WGFV can be monitored by the Ross-tech software.

More reading

Comment

So my luck continues.

While trying to trace a drop in boost I have the Ross-tec connected and laptop in the car the connector came out by the drives side.

I got out the car and opened the bonnet and hey presto new front windscreen cracked.
                Attached Files

Comment

Argh! That's really rotten luck.

Comment

Oh that’s a bloody shame

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Ok back to the boost issue.

Its not the MFTS.
                      Its not the WGFV
                      Its not the WG
                      Its not the coil packs

Driving at a normal pace the car is 100% all the time while under 5000 rpm, then when pushing it towards 6000 rpm at full throttle/boost at about 6k rpm the car is fine for the firsts few pulls, Leaving my foot firmly planted it does go to max rpm. Distance travelled during this test is about 10km.

Then doing the exact same tests and distance coming back to the houses the car pulls the boost back to spring pressure 0.4 bar when it gets to 6000 rpm.

The car runs ok it only happens at 6000 rpm when at full throttle. If I change gear to 4th the boost comes back to 1.8 then drops slightly to about 1.6 as it gets to 6000 rpm and then boost is instantly cut back to 0.4 bar. If I back off the throttle wait for it to get to 5000 rpm and then put my foot back down the boost is back to normal and once the car builds the rpm to 6000 it cuts the boost back to 0.4 bar.

So what is next knock sensors??? How do I test them.

I am a little concerned that the software was set for an octane rating that is not suited to South Africa and with the additional heat we have in SA this is causing the knock sensors to pull back the boost.

Comment

[QUOTE=orsum;n2021194 The new problem is when I get to 6000 rpm the boost has gradually come down from 1.8 / 1.9 bar to about 1.5 bar which I think is normal. Then it suddenly the boost drops to about 0.4 / 0.5 bar. Is that normal???? What would cause that sort of action? [/QUOTE]

Sounds "normal" right up to the boost drop. 0.4/0.5 is the mechanical boost pressure that results when the WGFV isn't working *OR* its working but the ECU isn't controlling it any longer. The latter happens when the ECU doesn't get any boost feed back signal via the small plastic hose that runs from intake manifold via the moisture trap to the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor in the ECU *OR* there is an electrical problem (wire, connectors, etc) between the ECU and the WGFV.

References:

General: Engine Bay Device Map - manual version - http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/22625.phtml

Specific:

WGFV: http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/20987.phtml

MAP: http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/20417.phtml

Moisture trap: http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/20401.phtml

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                        94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Thanks.

Bit of a chicken egg, if it was a connection issue I would have thought it would happen at any time. The boost cut is so predictable my gut is telling me the ECU is getting a signal to cut boost it is switching off the WGFV, need a bit of wire and an led to see what is going on.

Will see how I can nail the fault down next week family christening tomorrow.

Comment

I would definitely email PRJ

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Will do

Comment

Could be that the wastegate spring is too tight, it's overboosting slightly up top and then there is boost cut from ECU. Or the wastegate membrane is leaking.
                                E-mail or not, nothing much I can say at a distance

Software is fairly generic though, it should not cause issues.
                                http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Working...
                                X