Problem after upgrading to RS2 Specification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem after upgrading to RS2 Specification

Not sure what is wrong but the car surges/hesitates.

This is what I have done. Converted an ABY to RD2 specification.

RS2 Intercooler
    RS2 Turbo
    Upgraded exhaust manifold
    S6 ECU Upgraded by Prj (Set up for the parts I was putting on)
    Upgraded ignition wiring with R8 Coil packs
    Bosch 440cc injectors
    Bosch 044 pump
    New spark plugs

The car starts and idles boosts to about 1.7 Bar

Putting foot to the floor in all gears
    1st Gear pulls well feels like it has a slight hesitation
    2nd Gear pulls well feels like it has a slight bit more hesitation
    3rd Gear pulls well feels like it has an even bigger hesitation
    4th Gear pulls well feels like it is surging
    5th Gear pulls well feels like it feels like its surging a bit more
    6th Gear pulls well feels like it Feels like it has more to go but does not pull much above220kph

When stationary I can rev it to 5000rpm and will go no more, bad hesitation at 5000rpm.

Any idea were I should start looking.

Before the work was done the car had no issues

I would speak tp Prj. The 5K limit when stationary will be launch control. You should see boost pressure building at the same time.
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Pressurise the intake tract to be sure you don’t have a leak

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

I could always put the original ECU back in to see how it runs, will be a bit rich with the 440cc injectors. I would think that should rule out the ECU.

Will email Prj.

Comment

Took the car for a drive again this morning, I did the stationary rev test and again it cut out at just under 5k, I was on a down hill so I let the car roll to about 15kph and it reved past the 5k without any issues. So I think I can say its appears to be a launch control rev limiting type of modification.

Idle stable no issues. Starts first time and has a vacuum of about -0.5bar when cold. There is not smoke coming out the exhaust. The car has done 104000km from new, and since the upgrade it has done 75km. It appears to be using quite a lot of petrol, I am putting that down to testing the car.

The boost holds well at 1.75 to 1.8 Analogue gauge and starts dropping to about 1.2 - 1.4 as the revs go towards maximum rpm. Is this boost is normal for the RS2 that has been chipped?

1st and 2nd gear appear ok but they have a little hesitation/misfire near the 4k rmp mark and above. When going to 3rd gear and above it become more noticeable. It appears that under heavy load high revs the car is misfiring/hesitating.

I have one spare coil pack and the original old spark plugs. Its possible one or both have an issue at high revs and heavy load. I think that's were I am going to start.

First I will fit the new spare coil pack to cylinder one and see what happens, then move to the other cylinders.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/22611.phtml

Good read
          Last edited by orsum; 26 November 2017, 09:07.

Comment

You could pull the coil packs one at a time and with a spare spark plug just make sure you have the same fat spark on each cylinder.
            The boost profile seems about right.
            Dimitri sets the ECU Rev limiter to be 5k when speed signal is 0 mph, so yes this is launch control.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Can you vagcom it?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Yep bought a ross tech the other day.

Scan was clear no faults found.
                Last edited by orsum; 26 November 2017, 12:09. Reason: Added scan result

Comment

Is your fuel pump relayed?

Any chance your coolant temp sensor (G62) is worn or on the way out?

All the grounds are secure in the proper locations and not corroded?

Those are some quick things that come to mind, as I've found them to be solutions to similar issues I've experienced in the past.

Hope that helps, at least a little.
                  Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
                  2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
                  2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
                  1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                  1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

Wrong thread, sorry.

​​​​​​​

Comment

Is your fuel pump relayed? No it is as per the original wiring. I can change it but for now I will leave it alone.

Any chance your coolant temp sensor (G62) is worn or on the way out? Will check, sure its ok was before the mods.

All the grounds are secure in the proper locations and not corroded? The coil pack conversion grounding is right. not sure about the rest of the grounds, they were not touched.

Comment

How do you test the MAF. I will search later it just came to mind. Ok it looks easy enough lots of info.

Need to check the ross tech site.
                        Last edited by orsum; 27 November 2017, 07:40. Reason: Did a search found some info

Comment

Taking a chance here........did you change lambda sensor? I had this hesitation problem and high fuel consumption a while back on my stock RS2, and replacing the lambda, solved the problem for me.
                          What spark plugs are you using?
                          Last edited by Mr G; 27 November 2017, 08:48.

Comment

The plugs are the Bosch F5DPOR. Not even thought about the Lambda sensor.

Comment

As I have been chasing boost issues lately , and almost every possible boost leak appeared subsequently after fxing last one - car is aproaching 400 000 km nice and fast
                              Considering you have ideal ( NEW ) !!! lambda sensor, Spark plugs ( I only use Bosch F5DPOR ) , coils , absolutely no fuel issues - new fuel filter, pressure regulator, fuel pump - I used the Mercedes one PIERBURG 7.00228.51.0 , RS2 injectors , RS2 ECU,manifolde, etc...

Boost leak possible causes - and bear in mind any leak leads to wrong AF calclation by ECU - ISV , crankcase ventilation especially around inltet manifold , check rubber T-piece - they rupture and leak only under boost , one way check valve under it , clogging of ventilation , all boost pipes , IC etc, and last but not least - vacuum/boost lines ( 6mm ) from inlet manifold to ECU , etc.

You should be hitting full boost by 3000 rpm in 4th gear .

Comment

Working...
                              X