No announcement yet.

Mapping S2,Boost limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the max power numbers don’t tell is that my ECU made about 20HP more through the midrange.
    We didn’t have time to make any changes and run again though.
    My car was interesting, running the GT3071 with RS2 software and injectors, I told the guy I never use full throttle but of course he mashed it as that’s what dyno guys do. By 4200rpm it was making 262HP and the curve was almost vertical but the AFR was about 16 so he aborted the run.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu View Post
      To be fair that doesen't sound too bad for 1.4bar. Is there a printout we can look at.
      Did you plug the N75 back in for the run with with John's ecu?
      Without any way of regulating the boost reliably, electronically rather than mechanically, I fear you will be plagued with the boost cuts. I guess you could just keep winding the wastegate screw out until you find the sweet spot between boost and boost cut and be satisfied with that. The next 20+ bhp is going to be disproportionately expensive.
      20181104_194317.jpg

Comment

Its not even 1.4bar-its 1.3
        N75 is not connected. This is exactly what is done on my car,I have backed off screw in WG so it's not hitting the boost cut.so at this point with this setup it's producing 363BHP.At the moment I'm thinking to stick with my OE ECU,overcome the boost limit and get the most out of what I have got but I don't expect much more as I know that injectors will be maxed out .
        I would love to go for aftermarket ecu but I think I will leave it until I will go for more power.i don't know yet-there is plenty to learn for me before I will make some decisions and obviously your input guys is very important too

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
          What the max power numbers don’t tell is that my ECU made about 20HP more through the midrange.
          We didn’t have time to make any changes and run again though.
          My car was interesting, running the GT3071 with RS2 software and injectors, I told the guy I never use full throttle but of course he mashed it as that’s what dyno guys do. By 4200rpm it was making 262HP and the curve was almost vertical but the AFR was about 16 so he aborted the run.
          Yes,your car could produce some serious power there John.When it star boosting it did sound and look alot more agressive then mine and I could feel it on the little test drive as well.
          by the way -i have never seen so many ECUs in one car

Comment

Originally posted by piotr

Yes,your car could produce some serious power there John.When it star boosting it did sound and look alot more agressive then mine and I could feel it on the little test drive as well.
            by the way -i have never seen so many ECUs in one car
            My S2 obsession takes many forms!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by piotr View Post
              Well I definitely don't want to slagging anybody's job but this is a big worry for me as well now that tuner can't answer the questions that should be fairly simple to somebody who is dealing with it day in,day out .
              Im guessing the tuner you're referring to is Mark at Automark? Please correct me if I'm wrong..

If so I'm genuinely surprised he hasn't been able to figure this one out for you. He's not the kind of guy to let you leave his workshop without the appropriate software/ ecu mods to support the boost level he's mapped it to. I did as he suggested and fitted my maf to the pressure side in a slightly larger diameter tube. 4 years later and mines still running 1.8 bar faultlessly. The overboost cut is around 1.9 bar on mine which stops me being too over enthusiastic with the boost controller

I know this may sound basic but have you pulled up the codes on vagcom to confirm that its the boostcut your hitting which is causing the problems?

Comment

Originally posted by tomwood_uk View Post

Im guessing the tuner you're referring to is Mark at Automark? Please correct me if I'm wrong..

If so I'm genuinely surprised he hasn't been able to figure this one out for you. He's not the kind of guy to let you leave his workshop without the appropriate software/ ecu mods to support the boost level he's mapped it to. I did as he suggested and fitted my maf to the pressure side in a slightly larger diameter tube. 4 years later and mines still running 1.8 bar faultlessly. The overboost cut is around 1.9 bar on mine which stops me being too over enthusiastic with the boost controller

I know this may sound basic but have you pulled up the codes on vagcom to confirm that its the boostcut your hitting which is causing the problems?
                No codes stored in ECU.
                Yes,Mark confirmed himself that it is boost cut comming on at lower level that he would expect .
                Well,all I can say is that I have left his workshop second time with this issue not resolved -nothing more I can add to it.

Comment

Surprised he hasn't sorted it out mine was mapped there a few years back and boosts to 1.7 which is what I asked for as i don't want to kill the engine off. I am still running the n75 and this seems to work ok but boost can fluctuate sometimes spiking at 1.9 that's why I'm hoping to fit eBoost soon as I can get back up there. Hope you get it sorted bud don't think he's the sort of fella to let people down.

Comment

Originally posted by Rikki Kitto View Post
                    Surprised he hasn't sorted it out mine was mapped there a few years back and boosts to 1.7 which is what I asked for as i don't want to kill the engine off. I am still running the n75 and this seems to work ok but boost can fluctuate sometimes spiking at 1.9 that's why I'm hoping to fit eBoost soon as I can get back up there. Hope you get it sorted bud don't think he's the sort of fella to let people down.
                    Thanks for that buddy .
                    yes,just like I said before he is a lovely guy and I need to.speak with him again and see what the outcome will be.im surprised he left your N75 working .
                    first thing he did on mine was disabling it and I was gutted as I bought brand new OE N75 few weeks before going there and now it's sitting doing nothing .
                    He told me to buy E-boost 2 with four port Solenoid but this is doing just as much as N75 -not connected because of the boos cut.This is why I'm little bit sceptic about going there again
                    is your MAP sensor inside ECU stock ABY or is it 3bar one ?

Comment

I bought an RS2 ECU when I upgraded everything, he advised me to ditch the N75 that's why I have got the eboost but decided to leave the N75 on for now

Comment

I will start with a caveat that I do not know the inner workings of Motronic so my reply is based on logic. Dmitri could tell you the problem but my gut feel is he will be so frustrated with this thread / problem that he won't waste his time replying.

Your problem can't be boost cut - the ECU can't cut boost as you have bypassed the active boost control by disabling the WGFV and setting boost level via the wastegate spring - if you are experiencing a hard cut, the ECU is cutting fuel as a last resort to prevent what it perceives to be imminent engine failure.

Why are you using the wastegate spring to control boost, as reading the above replies, it appears Mark does know how to control boost using the Motronic?
                        IMHO jacking the wastegate spring is a ghetto method and I would never do it.
                        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                          I will start with a caveat that I do not know the inner workings of Motronic so my reply is based on logic. Dmitri could tell you the problem but my gut feel is he will be so frustrated with this thread / problem that he won't waste his time replying.

Your problem can't be boost cut - the ECU can't cut boost as you have bypassed the active boost control by disabling the WGFV and setting boost level via the wastegate spring - if you are experiencing a hard cut, the ECU is cutting fuel as a last resort to prevent what it perceives to be imminent engine failure.

Why are you using the wastegate spring to control boost, as reading the above replies, it appears Mark does know how to control boost using the Motronic?
                          IMHO jacking the wastegate spring is a ghetto method and I would never do it.
                          Hi Alex
                          Im sure Dmitri would know what the problem is and if he still reading this thread he must be frustrated but non of the problem i have got is my fault. If i would buy standalone ECU and start to map my car after watching You Tube for few hours thinking that i can do it and then ask forum for help-this would be defo my fault
                          I can talk about CAN,Lin,MOST,FlexRay as this is what i understand and i work with but how Motronic works?i dont know so i paid money to the guy who i was thinking will do the best job for me and understand exactly how the system is working.But now having this issue not resolved im asking you guys for help .

I'm using or should i say Mark is using spring to control boost as he dont like N75.On the first visit i did say that i want to have it connected but he did say that its much better to bin it so based on his good reputation and my lack of knowledge about Motronic i let him do it.

i know my WGFV is now disabled but I tough that it is the250 kPa MAP sensor inside ecu that is now triggering boost/fuel cut but i dont know now??? im Very confused on what to do next-going back to Mark with all the thoughts and comments from forum and let him deal with the problem or find somebody else .There is a place is Farnborough that i have spoken with and they deal with Motronic .
                          Last edited by piotr; 10 November 2018, 08:36.

Comment

I would try to let Mark sort it out first he should really honour his work and at least try to sort the problem for you, what about reinstating the n75 mine runs 1.7 to 1.9 bar with the N75, it fluctuates slightly as he says they struggle over 1.2 I have no idea why perhaps they are just not intended for these higher figures. Anyway call him and let him know how you feel about the situation, it's good to talk fella, hope this comes to a good end it is really frustrating spending good money and not getting good service

Comment

Originally posted by Rikki Kitto View Post
                              I would try to let Mark sort it out first he should really honour his work and at least try to sort the problem for you, what about reinstating the n75 mine runs 1.7 to 1.9 bar with the N75, it fluctuates slightly as he says they struggle over 1.2 I have no idea why perhaps they are just not intended for these higher figures. Anyway call him and let him know how you feel about the situation, it's good to talk fella, hope this comes to a good end it is really frustrating spending good money and not getting good service
                              Absolutely buddy you right.This is the plan for today-ring Mark,speak with him and hope for good outcome .I will also try today to put my N75 back to normal,replace WG spring to normal and plug in John's ECU with MRC chips .
                              thank you very much for your input

Comment

By the way ,this is the place that apparently is very good and want to deal with Motronic. I wonder if any of you guys know ?
                                Since opening in 2001 the Phirm has established itself as one of the UK’s most reputable tuning and servicing outlets for performance Volkswagens plus other quality vehicles. The relaxed open workshop policy, we are still car nuts like you ourselves, has contributed to a real family atmosphere. Above all we pride ourselves on the quality and the integrity of our work, making sure that when you drive home it’s going to be with a huge grin on your face but safe in the knowledge that you have received a no nonsense, total value for money experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X