Volvo K24 turbo in audi application.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo K24 turbo in audi application.

I posted about this in my project thread but no one really said anything. I figured i would post a new thread hoping that someone might actually have a comment.

So for comparison:

Stock S2 K24 7000 next to RS2 K24 7200:

RS2 K24 7200 next to Volvo K24 7400:

Volvo K24 7400 with Audi K flange exhaust housing, Mounted to rs2 exhaust manifold:

Mounted in engine bay:

Discuss.

Nothing really to discuss until it's running and dyno'd IMO. certainly a very nice lateral approach.

Comment

i have to have it running and dyno'd before it can be discussed? i'm sure there would be a lot less project threads if that was the case...

Comment

Very nice, but my question is :What Model and engine did Volvo use those k24/7400 turbos ?

Comment

In Estonian Audiclub I had a small discussion about this turbo, and i'm still not sure if Volvo's turbo is better than RS2 unit. Waiting for the dyno.
          Logically the Volvo's K24 should start producing boost later than RS2 turbo, but also it should be more capable on the top end compared to RS2. I sourced 2 Graphs on these turbos, but the Volvos engine is 300cc larger than 20vT.

Volvo produces 340Hp and Rs2 350Hp. Just by looking that the RS2 Unit should be better. But torque graph from Volvo show's it beeing flat and not a curve like RS2, witch means there is some boost&torque reserve in that turbo. Is the curve like that because weak internals in the engine -> limiting the boost pressure? And if that is the case, would the Volvo's K24 outperform RS2 unit on Audi engine?

Are my thoughts heading in the right direction or am I far off the mark?

Volvo:

RS2:
          [/quote]

luvmyS4, Volvo S60 R

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffiano View Post
            i have to have it running and dyno'd before it can be discussed? i'm sure there would be a lot less project threads if that was the case...
            No, subjectively you'll find most won't really say anything the real talking point will be the dyno plot.

If it proves to give good power and a nice torque curve and the turbo is relatively inexpensive their maybe a new turbo option just below the k26/k27

Comment

Originally posted by Zoig View Post
              In Estonian Audiclub I had a small discussion about this turbo, and i'm still not sure if Volvo's turbo is better than RS2 unit. Waiting for the dyno.
              Logically the Volvo's K24 should start producing boost later than RS2 turbo, but also it should be more capable on the top end compared to RS2. I sourced 2 Graphs on these turbos, but the Volvos engine is 300cc larger than 20vT.

Volvo produces 340Hp and Rs2 350Hp. Just by looking that the RS2 Unit should be better. But torque graph from Volvo show's it beeing flat and not a curve like RS2, witch means there is some boost&torque reserve in that turbo. Is the curve like that because weak internals in the engine -> limiting the boost pressure? And if that is the case, would the Volvo's K24 outperform RS2 unit on Audi engine?

Are my thoughts heading in the right direction or am I far off the mark?

Volvo:

RS2:
              luvmyS4, Volvo S60 R[/QUOTE]
              What catches my eye most is the power stops just after 6k rpm and starts to drop I wonder if the turbo on the audi i5 will work with the 7200-7400 redline?

Comment

That is some old school boost control going on there - is that just a temporary thing ?
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Internal WG withy actuator diaphragm. What was required to convert to external WG as per tha later pics, a new housing?

Perhaps this is comparable to the K27s that some fit?
                  Cheers'en, AndyC
                  1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

very nice , waiting to see the resultes whit the engine running , from what volvo is that turbo ????
                    audi s2 aby red 1993 powreded by prj

Comment

Yes i would also like to know in what Volvo was this turbo and what are the compressor and turbine impeller spec? Diameter ect.
                      Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

you would need really to swap the housings if possible.

alternative is to weld up the gate and run external. or run the internal. makes no difference on piddly turbos

Comment

Ok so the turbo is from a 2002+ Volvo S60 R or S70 R. State side this turbo is a very affordable turbo used. I just purchased one for 150 USD, which as you can see in the pictures is in very good shape and has ZERO Shaft play. Its cost is what made me curious. I sold my used RS2 turbo for 800 USD. I used the hotside from a K26 that i had lying around.

the stock Volvo turbo has an internal wastegate along with an internal BPV, by swapping the hotside, you eliminate the internal wastegate. I actually really liked the bpv that was built in however it doesn't quite stand up to the levels of boost this turbo will see. There is an aftermarket bpv that fits in this turbo but again it is only rated to about 20 psi.

I regestered on some of the "R" volvo forums and poked around and asked some questions. the biggest problem they have isn't actually the turbo's limitations but the limitations of the blocks. these turbos are mounted to aluminum 2.5 liter engines. the problem they have is that the cylinder walls are too thin and the block kills itself over the 400 awhp mark. there was a german member on there running this turbo but he had his on the 2.4 liter block and was making over 500 awhp on his daily driver.

Now in my mind, this turbo should actually spool up faster then the rs2, it has a slightly smaller exhaust wheel, and a larger compressor. Also comparing to what the volvo guys are running in terms of PSI, stock is 12-14, most of thier "stage 3" kits only run it up to about 20-21, I'm interested in seeing how it likes 25+

as long as I am able to reassemble everything this week, it will go to vegas on friday and be dyno tuned by our good friend from EFI Express, Marc. then I think we will have more to discuss.

Comment

Oh i was just going to mention, the nice thing about this type of swap is that you don't have to change your exhaust manifold, downpipe, or oil/water lines, it is a plug and play turbo like the rs2, however it is 15 years newer, readily available and a fraction of the cost... now lets hope that it is more powerful too!

Comment

Like your thinking my friend! I know there's a lot to be said for tried and tested and to be honest that's why alot of us are on this forum to gleen alot of experience from others.
                              But.........its good to think differently now and then, think a tad laterally and see what happens!
                              Look forward to see how it turns out buddy!

AL

Comment

Working...
                              X