Volvo K24 turbo in audi application.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by URQguy View Post
    The K26 #6 is a direct bolt on with no other mods needed. They are the same turbine blade profile and size. Hank
    Hank: Are you getting the K26 #6 hotsides from North American Audi 100/200 (5000/200) turbos or what?

Dave F.
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

• Originally posted by prj View Post
      K24-7400 specs should be:
      Compressor - OD 62mm, Inducer 45.8mm
      Turbine - OD 59mm, Exducer 50mm
      Has any EGT been measured running this turbo ?
      The reason I ask is that the RS2 turbo has a 54mm turbine exducer and
      that is the reason this turbo spools quicker right there.
      The thing i'm thinking is at tuned RS2 power ~370-390 HP how high is the Egt getting ?
      Not only is this a concern for how long the turbo will last at this output but whether or not you drop the head off an exhaust valve and destroy your engine after a prolonged WOT run .
      Not meaning to put a downer on things it may be fine on EGT , but if it has not been measured
      I think it would be wise.

The other thing is that using a smaller down pipe / exhaust is not going to cost you much in terms of
      total power as has been mentioned before in this thread but it will slow turbo spool and more importantly EGT will be higher and take its toll on the turbo/ engine.
      I personally know someone who put a turbo motor in a 2.0 NA car and drove it round connected to the standard 2 inch pipe because he did not have the money to have a custom exhaust made yet. The thing hardly suffered from a lack of power due to the small exhaust at all but 5 weeks later it did drop the head off an exhaust valve and destroy the engine.

Hopefully the EGT with this tuned for Max power will be OK as it would make a nice upgrade without extra lag of the RS2.

Comment

• Obviously EGT needs to be looked at, but EGT depends a LOT on enrichment and timing.
        With bad tuning you can melt any motor...
        http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

• Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
          The photo above is an ADU (RS2) intake. There are no ABY results unless the 3B and ABY intakes are the same.
          I understood ABY and ADU intake manifolds were the same bar the porsche inscription plaque

Originally posted by Ruffiano View Post
          And NCTS and hopefully not to start abidding war, but it has 2 days left and is going for 10 quid, it will probably go cheap since it is missing the hotside which means the volvo guys don't really want it... which means the Audi guys do

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-S60-T5-K...item41584706da
          Hey, I was watching that

Only thing I was wondering about it says in that ad

It is from a 2005 S60 T5 and is the same model as used in the S60r/V70r bar the change in compressor housing
          Whats different about the comp housing on the t5 one?
          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Originally posted by andy10v View Post
            I understood ABY and ADU intake manifolds were the same bar the porsche inscription plaque.
            I have no doubt (now) that the ABY and ADU manifolds flow the same. That said, the original labeling of the manifold in question (below) as an ABY intake was wrong.

Last edited by UrS4boy; 5 April 2011, 23:12.

Comment

Whats different about the comp housing on the t5 one?
              not sure what he means by that, there were two versions of the cold side, one with a v-band, then the style he has for sale, but no other changes were made.

Comment

• Taking into account the physical dimensions of this turbo being smaller than the K24-7200:

K24-7400 specs should be:
                Compressor - OD 62mm, Inducer 45.8mm
                Turbine - OD 59mm, Exducer 50mm

K24-7200 (RS2)
                Compressor - OD 66mm, Inducer 48mm
                Turbine - OD 60mm , Exducer 54

Considering the RS2 turbine exducer is almoste the same diameter as the GT30R (maybe not as efficient flow-wise but close...beiing both old designs) even with the extended tip this compressor would come close but not top the RS2 compressor (considering the ultimate ceiling for the flow is the compressor inducer).

I think it would be safe to say that this turbo has better matched impellers than the RS2 one (K24-7200 hybrid with bigger compressor can go to 420 hp and with K26-8 turbine housing can go till 450hp) and it would be placed nicely between the K24-7000 and the K24-7200.

THIS IS JUST THEORY - REAL WORLD DATA CAN PROVE OTHERWISE
                Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruffiano View Post
                  not sure what he means by that, there were two versions of the cold side, one with a v-band, then the style he has for sale, but no other changes were made.
                  Cool so turbos from 2002>s60r and t5s, any other donors?

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Cool so turbos from 2002>s60r and t5s, any other donors?
                    No what i'm saying is i think he is incorrect, t5 is the chassis. this turbo is found on 02> S60R and S70R

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruffiano View Post
                      No what i'm saying is i think he is incorrect, t5 is the chassis. this turbo is found on 02> S60R and S70R
                      Ok, thanks

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Just to explore and compare all posbilities for the ABY, I can see posters on here know what a certain turbo will make and how quick it will spool, so as mentioned just curious where would the followng turbo fit in the the 7000, 7200, and 7400?

It is the hbrid K26/2871rs.

Thanks.

Comment

• The problem with these ball-bearing turbos is surge.
                          Much easier to map the KKK units...
                          http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

• Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                            I have no doubt (now) that the ABY and ADU manifolds flow the same. That said, the original laleling of the manifold in question (below) as an ABY intake was wrong.

http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/d/47...S2_IM_Flow.jpg
                            At least the IMG is titled correctly

Look at the post time and take into account that I was on my phone and trying to be concise. If I had said ADU/ABY would we be talking about it?
                            1995 1PissedOff90sigpic1991 USDM CQ 7aT

Comment

• Originally posted by Mcstiff View Post
                              At least the IMG is titled correctly.
                              Look at the post time and take into account that I was on my phone and trying to be concise. If I had said ADU/ABY would we be talking about it?
                              Thanks. And yes the photo URL does say RS2. *IF* you had said ADU/ABY, I might have not said anything. But you said ABY so I did. Sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by David in Dublin View Post
                                Just to explore and compare all posbilities for the ABY, I can see posters on here know what a certain turbo will make and how quick it will spool, so as mentioned just curious where would the followng turbo fit in the the 7000, 7200, and 7400?

It is the hbrid K26/2871rs.

Thanks.

If it is: 71/49 or 71/53 compressor and 54/47mm turbine
                                It has a better flowing compressor than 7000 and 7400 but too restrictive (small) turbine.

from the first look not so well matched for our engine.
                                Last edited by Billman; 5 April 2011, 23:55.
                                Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Working...
                                X