Volvo K24 turbo in audi application.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
    My bad. Hap is UrS4guy. I saw the "Ur" and the "guy" part of UrQguy and missed the "Q" part.

Can't necessarily disagree with your K24-7000, vs K24-7200 vs K24-7400 spooling comments. That said, it would have been nice (wishful thinking) to see a K24-7200'd AAN on the same dyno on the same day as the other two plots. BUT then we get into the cam issues and it all gets muddled anyway.
    we also get into an intake and intercooler debate as well. according to bench testing from 034 the aan intake manifold out flowed every oem intake. the intake on my car flowed the worst out of all of them, even worse then the 3b intake manifold.

Comment

• So basically, the K24-7400 is a great little turbo.
      Spool is similar to stock, and power similar to K24-7200. Shows how much turbo technology has advanced in recent years.

I am very happy that there is now another upgrade path over the usual "fit RS2 turbo or forget it" stuff.
      I'll make sure there are chipsets available for Motronic for this as well. A car with the K24-7400 makes a great daily driver in a town with small speed limits, such as mine.
      http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

• Here is how i see it. you can buy the turbo for half the cost of an rs2 unit (brand new), it bolts right in so no need for custom exhaust manifolds or downpipes, it runs with all the stock oil and water lines, and it makes just as much if not more power then the rs2 turbo and it makes that power sooner. In my book it is a no brainer.

Comment

• Waits to be flamed, but

for a person who can't appreciate the different lines on the graphs in this thread, but has a butt dyno, does this thread to date mean the following?

People with ABY's should get a s/h K24 7400 turbo from a dead 2002+ Volvo S60R / S70R, remove the diaphragm thing bolted onto the outside of the turbo, put a blanking plate on the internal wastegate (Bambridge ?), take off the original oem K24 7000, bolt on the new Volvo with no hassle, get a suitable new chip from S2Central and we'd then have a turbo with the spool of the ABY, the poke of the ADU, and all for the cost of a second hand turbo from a breakers yard?

I am assuming a couple of things, not necessarily mandatory, but which do no harm to a standard ABY anyway, and are not that excessive and which would help to get the best out of the "new" K24 7400, the fitting of an RS2 intercooler, RS2 injectors or similar, an RS2 exhaust manifold, an RS2 downpipe. oem rods retained.

A custom rubber/silicone pipe from someone who makes up a suitable batch to allow the output pipe of the turbo to be connected to the inlet pipe of the intercooler without having to cut 'n shut the metal output pipe of the 7400 as per this thread.

Not sure if I've forgotten anything, or should one just go the more normal/easier route and buy a decent reconditioned RS2 K24 7200 for an easier no hassle life, i.e. bolt it on in an even easier manner, ADU chips already on the shelf, only disadvantages being the higher cost of the RS2 turbo and the slower spool?

What have I missed out on with either option ?

Thanks.

Comment

• and will be more dangerous the k24 7400 than the 7200?? because faster spool + high torque,could be more chance of banana rods??

more or less like we use a harder wastegate spring with RS2 turbo.. or not?
            RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
            BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
            LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

• Originally posted by David in Dublin View Post
              I am assuming a couple of things, not necessarily mandatory, but which do no harm to a standard ABY anyway, and are not that excessive and which would help to get the best out of the "new" K24 7400, the fitting of an RS2 intercooler, RS2 injectors or similar, an RS2 exhaust manifold, an RS2 downpipe. oem rods retained.
              RS2 Manifold, RS2 injectors (or bigger) are mandatory.
              Downpipe ... well, I don't think you would lose more than 10hp from using the stock one, same goes for the intercooler - obviously bigger is better, but again, very much hassle for little gains at this point. Better to fit water-methanol injection. You will also need to at the very least gut the cats in the stock exhaust, or if going catless is not an option, then you'll need to get an exhaust made.
              A custom rubber/silicone pipe from someone who makes up a suitable batch to allow the output pipe of the turbo to be connected to the inlet pipe of the intercooler without having to cut 'n shut the metal output pipe of the 7400 as per this thread.
              This is the only disadvantage - you'll have to get the intake fabbed up.
              Not sure if I've forgotten anything, or should one just go the more normal/easier route and buy a decent reconditioned RS2 K24 7200 for an easier no hassle life, i.e. bolt it on in an even easier manner, ADU chips already on the shelf, only disadvantages being the higher cost of the RS2 turbo and the slower spool?
              I'll make some chips specifically for this as well, and I'll give them to Paul, etc...
              ADU chips will work too to some extent, but will have incorrect mapping for the fast pressure rise in the lower end, so might knock.

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
              and will be more dangerous the k24 7400 than the 7200?? because faster spool + high torque,could be more chance of banana rods??

more or less like we use a harder wastegate spring with RS2 turbo.. or not?
              As long as you don't knock HARD on either turbo, your rods will be fine.

Comment

• Prj,

Sorry, I forgot to include the 3" exhaust in the list of items that would be good to do on any ABY.

Comment

• Remember, we have a very small sample size right now.
                  I'll map mine as well within a month and see what it makes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruffiano View Post
                    Here is how i see it. you can buy the turbo for half the cost of an rs2 unit (brand new), it bolts right in so no need for custom exhaust manifolds or downpipes, it runs with all the stock oil and water lines, and it makes just as much if not more power then the rs2 turbo and it makes that power sooner. In my book it is a no brainer.
                    It is nearly worse than the 7a

ABY

3B

7a

1995 1PissedOff90sigpic1991 USDM CQ 7aT

Comment

• Did the same person who did these get to do a Wagner front inlet manifold ?

Comment

• This is a little bit unexpected... I would be interested to see an overlay with RS2 power as well; not so much for spool comparison - if it's pretty much K24 that is amazing - but for torque and power in the top half of the power band.

Rather than a ' hack and bolt on', what could be done to sort the aethetics of this ugly thing out? I see you've fitted the K26 hotside there - what hotside is that, where was it sourced? Do we think it would be possible to have a coldside machined to fit that looks/fits stock?

I'm trying to see how this could be used as a basis for a drop-in replacement on an RS2 to give 'the best of both worlds'...

I'll be in the Vegas-SLC area for 10 days early May, if it happens to coincinde with any more trips up there I would love to see this thing in the flesh

Cheers
                        Ross
                        AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

• Originally posted by Ross View Post
                          Rather than a ' hack and bolt on', what could be done to sort the aethetics of this ugly thing out? I see you've fitted the K26 hotside there - what hotside is that, where was it sourced? Do we think it would be possible to have a coldside machined to fit that looks/fits stock?
                          K26 #6 hotside. Fits like a glove, very tight.
                          As for the coldside, the easiest is to just cut and re-weld the exit. It's much cheaper and easier than other solutions.

Comment

• Originally posted by David in Dublin View Post
                            Did the same person who did these get to do a Wagner front inlet manifold ?

AAN

Wagner HO

1995 1PissedOff90sigpic1991 USDM CQ 7aT

Comment

• Originally posted by Mcstiff View Post
                              AAN

Wagner HO

seeing these pictures we are lucky with 3B intake manifolds

i believe to heard in the past something similar that the 3B intake flows better than ABY/RS2
                              RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
                              BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
                              LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

• @Ruffiano

Make a log so we can also import it here and compare the dyno results with this tool.

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51109
                                Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Working...
                                X