Volvo K24 turbo in audi application.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ruffiano View Post
    if they are that easy to find why did i source one for you?
    Want to source some more?

How much was shipping?
    Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
    Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Any numbers on egt's ?
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by URQguy View Post
        Comparing the pantera that ran the same day to daves s2 would be like comparing apples to oranges. Comparing two cars that are running the same basic drivetrain minus the rear diff, with very similar tire widths (245s vs 255s) would be like comparing two different breeds of apples. There are obviously differences, but the general genetics is the same. I do think audi overrated the rs4, but this dyno shows a consistent 25% drivetrain on awd vehicles inside and outside the marquee, at these relatively low power levels. 300hp STIs and evos make 225whp, 996 turbos make around 320 stock and 365 chipped, Wrx rated at 230 make 170.... to say that daves only had a 20% loss would be the externality. Still, at 20%, it made rs2 levels of power...

And weight, on a load based chassis dyno? That only applies if you are accelerating. Place 2k pounds on top of an engine on an engine dyno and see if that affects the output of the motor.

What's the world coming to if you can't compare the cars that dynoed the same day? That's about as good as it gets with the average citizen resources!
        Weight on the tyres increases the friction and it is a lot.
        I have seen 10hp gain from increasing the tyre pressure on a dyno run and similar things from the same S2 running standard 205/55/16 then running 225/40/18, you can even see your average MPG
        go down from ~27 to ~23 by putting 225's on an S2, unless you put 45psi in the tyres but then the car takes off over every bump in the road.

This S2 with the Volvo turbo has 245's on it ? ?

Comment

• Originally posted by driftin jo View Post
          This S2 with the Volvo turbo has 245's on it ? ?
          245/40 17s. and yes I can slide around my back end, ask Ross. I didn't know the trick of over inflating tires, mine were at around 36 psi, should have over filled and beat another b7 RS4.

tires in question:

picture of dirty wheel from my review on the Armorall wheel protectant:

Comment

• nice !

Do they not catch anywhere or have you modified the arches ?

Comment

• Originally posted by driftin jo View Post
              nice !

Do they not catch anywhere or have you modified the arches ?

no modifications at all, still has all the plastic bits, running bilstiens with H&R springs, no rub anywhere 17x8 wheel ET35 (reduced to ET30 with spacers, they fit without but fill the arches better with them)

I also run 245/40 blizzak snow tires.

Comment

• Ruffiano;

What did you use to join the cobra head to the airbox? Alloy bend and another coupler onto the Maf?

Will any k26 audi 10v turbo do?

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                  Ruffiano;

What did you use to join the cobra head to the airbox? Alloy bend and another coupler onto the Maf?

Will any k26 audi 10v turbo do?
                  I haven't tied it into the airbox, i have been running it with a 3" cone filter, but plan on running it to a stock air box in the near future, i plan on using 2 pieces of 3" and a coupler, if you are running your stock maf you should just need a small bit of 3" pipe and a 90 degree silicone elbow.

Apparently not all 10v k26/6 hotsides were created equal. I had a k26 sitting in my garage that i used for my first one, it was a free turbo that came with a car i bought, it was brand new and rebuilt but don't know what audi it came from, I bought a second one for the second volvo turbo i had (sold to dmitri), and it was advertised as a k26/6 and it also was the correct one. I had a local friend who went with the volvo turbo and he bought a k26/6 and it was NOT the right size. however it said "6." on the inside of the hot side, not the normal "6" i have seen. he ended up machining his k24 hotside to fit the profile of the turbo.

Comment

• You know what... the answer was on the previous page

Originally posted by porkkis View Post
                    K26#6 50mm can be found in Porsche 944 220hp version. Also some ancient Audi K26 used the 50mm exducer. I guess it's typ43 200 5T.

The usual Audi K26 turbine is 56mm exdu.
                    -

Comment

• I've been meaning to add my thoughts on this turbo. I'm very impressed - in comparison to my K26/7 hybrid, it doesn't pull as hard but it's certainly in the same league - remembering we were at 4,000ft elevation it would be more valid to compare on an event keel.

On the graph it seemed to drop off pretty quick up top; on the road I'd say it still pulled pretty hard to the redline. We did a few 4-7k pulls. Mid range is definitely the turbo's strong point though, it really does feel like the stock K24 until about 3,000rpm where it just keeps pulling.

Unfortunately my vid footage didn't catch our first 0-xxx pull up the onramp to demonstrate but when I get it on youtube I'll post the link. Take my word, low down this thing feels like a homefry and then you'll see from the footage it's still pulling ~24psi at 6k and ~17psi at redline.

My final verdict - think Garrett but without that super-fast reaction when you come on boost. I guess there's no way to compensate for BB technology. But what it does offer, is the low-down power and driveability round town of the stock K24 with the top-end of the RS2. Only question I'd have is how durable this thing is pulling 28psi!

Big thanks to Dave for taking the time out for a ride, next time I won't crush my thumb right before and will drive the thing
                      AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

• Thanks Ross, I'm a bit sad you didn't catch the first part as well, slidding around in the car always makes for good video, just ask top gear.

I have never and will never say this is the best turbo to put on a 5 cyl, there is always something bigger and better, but this is in my opinion the "best" upgrade from a stock turbo that allows you to maintain full plug and play compatibility. When I say best I am also considering price, and I think the biggest convincing factor for me is the price point of this turbo. The one on ebay.co.uk sold for 77 quid. that is like $125 usd, so we are talking rs2 power, k24 spool, plug and play comparability, all for the price of what most of you guys sell your stock used k24s for. I sold my rs2 turbo, and 034 RS2 software and was able to buy this turbo and larger injectors, VEMS, wideband and still had money left over. It is quicker to spool and faster then my RS2 setup was, and it can be had at a fraction of the price. There are discount dealer websites stateside (don't know if you have them across the pond) but this turbo brand new from Volvo is only 750ish (470 quid), which is what you would pay for a USED RS2 turbo.

This was an exploratory thread to find out the viability of this turbo for our vehicles. I never intended it to be a 7200 vs 7400 thread.

Comment

• This is all very good info, but I want to set something straight.

Originally posted by Ross View Post
                          in comparison to my K26/7 hybrid, it doesn't pull as hard but it's certainly in the same league
                          This statement is incorrect.
                          K26/K27 hybrid easily holds 21-22psi to redline on a ported head with lower IAT's.

The difference between a properly mapped K26/K27 and a K24-7200 is big, considering the K26/K27 can max 440cc's at 4 bar and the K24-7200 does not even come close. The K24-7400 does not outflow the K24-7200 either, but it is certainly very close.
                          We are talking about 80-90hp difference between K26/K27 and K24-7400, so no, they are not in the same league at all.

Also, the K26/K27 has full boost in third at around 4000rpm, unlike this turbo, which is way less laggy.
                          http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

• Originally posted by porkkis View Post
                            You know what... the answer was on the previous page
                            Time to join some porsche forums then, thanks.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• K26/K27 vs K24-7400

http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

• we want numbers!

Comment

Working...
                                X