Volvo K24 turbo in audi application.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://www.forgemotorsport.com/conte...oduct=FMDVK04S

"his is a piston design recirculation valve that is a direct replacement for the original fitment. This valve gives greater longevity than the diaphragm (OEM) valves but also benefits from its ability to be fitted with different springs when the boost pressure has been increased or the engine has been modified. To ease installation the top or vacuum connection is angled."

Comment

• Yeah, I've seen that along with a couple of similar ones that are on the market. They do have some downsides - they cost a fortune, and require maintenance. I'm also hoping with a little creative bending to use the existing oil feed line, and I think clearance problems would be greater with that valve.
      Be alert! America needs more lerts.
      Eric Law
      '90 80Q with AAN and Megasquirt
      '97 Saab 9000 Aero: mostly stock but ECU tweaks to add fastness
      '86 4KTQ: R.I.P.

Comment

• Oh... and it looks like there's hope that my install might progress in the near future! I just got an email from Fedex indicating that a certain Hank Iroz is shipping me a package.
        Eric Law

Comment

• I bought my turbo minus the K26/6 housing from vivaperformance, I think it was $600 for a low mileage one, that included a DV blanking plate. It wasn't really hard to plum in, I just made a new intake pipe up with the mig welder.

Ivan

Comment

• Andy10v.Thanks for your help i did see that thread and superb it was.I used one of his pictures to start my thread "Anyone want to share pictures of their URS6" Couldn't resist it as the picture i used was a stunner.
            Forgive me mate i am capable of wielding a spanner, welding, (have'nt got an account with BOC so no ARGON gas at the mo) and working on engines but normally asperated cars with Carbs striping heads and rebuilding mainly and a little bit latterly with fuel injection. I am yet to play around with a turbo but feel it's something i want to do.I don't think i would bother if it wasn't for the Volvo idea because i like lots of low down torque and the prospect of no lag so the volvo conversion suits me. Lots to learn i think but not insurmaountable. I posted about this turbo a few days ago as i was shocked there was nothing on this thread for a long time.This seams to have revived it.

Byd1380.Great thread you did on the URS6/volvo turbo!!!

Elaw.Great news look forward to seeing your progress with it!!!
            96 URS6 plus speck saloon
            96 URS6 plus speck estate
            94 2.6 80 Avant
            99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

• Hey just in case anyone's interested... I did get my exhaust housing back from Hank, along with a rebuild kit... so the Volvo K24 part of my project is moving again!

There isn't a whole lot of content re that turbo yet, but you can follow my progress in my thread on MG: http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42240. The Volvo turbo stuff starts on page 26.
              Eric Law

Comment

• Glad you are making progress again.

To answer your question on motorgeek

I do have one question for those who have done this before: getting the oil feed line to clear the bypass valve on the Volvo K24 - is that a slight tweak to the line, or do you have to bend it within an inch of its life?
                I clocked the coldside to clear the lines

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2nau3uo.jpg
                Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Yikes! That certainly takes care of the oil line issue, but it seems like the outlet is pointing in a direction that makes it hard to connect to. Where is your intercooler located?
                  Eric Law

Comment

• Intercooler is currently in under a pile of **** in the boot

But will be going back in its place on the front, not ideal turbo outlet location, but I think I can make it work.

I think that is why Dave's is cut and welded. Other people have just fitted/made longer lines.

Originally posted by Ruffiano View Post
                    Here is a better photo to show the modifications made to the cold side of the turbo, you can see the block off plate for the internal BPV and also that the outlet was shortened to have the output in the stock Audi outlet location.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• On my car i had the oil pressure line welded-extended, but after that it was changed to custom oil line with 1/8 NPT thread on the turbo side. Rest of them are AAN stock lines. Ofcourse the turbo outlet is welded and internal bypass is blocked off.

Comment

• That looks nice!

I think I'm going to end up with something similar to your second setup. I've ordered a couple of flanges with AN fittings, and some AN hose and fittings to connect them together.

I've decided I don't like the idea of clocking the compressor housing way around, and here's why:

The outlet on this turbo's compressor is already longer than on the stock K24, and with the adapter on there it's longer still! Rotating the compressor housing enough for the stock oil line to clear the BPV would put the outlet way behind my oil cooler and I think plumbing from that location to the IC would be a nightmare.

I know one obvious answer would be to ditch the adapter, but it's got a tapered inside that should help performance by providing a smooth transition from the ID of the compressor outlet to the ID of the hose, so I want to keep it if at all possible.
                        Eric Law

Comment

• Ah, I got you, I am planning one upgrading/moving the oil cooler to the front grill with the mg setup as its cheap/good upgrade.

Where did you get that V band adapter? Or can you just use a normal V band?

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• The hose adapter came from an outfit called "IPD" that sells performance goodies for Volvos: http://www.ipdusa.com/products/9318/...v70r-2004-2005

The v-band clamp itself was not easy to come by! For some reason IPD doesn't sell it. You can get it from Volvo but it's very expensive - I seem to remember it's over $100.00. What I ended up doing was contacting the guy I got the turbo from (who was parting the whole car) and bought it from him.
                            Eric Law

Comment

• Ok, I couldnt find one so just got a normal outlet coldside for £20.

V band is nice though.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• I couldn't find a v-band either, I got it machined off and just fitted the silicone hose straight on. I have sold my car to friend, but actually drove it today for the first time in a while, very usable turbo. I was driving along and asked "is that still 4th" shocked at the torque. I had the same comment from a friend of mine when in it, he had a 360lb/ft B5 S4.

Comment

Working...
                                X