No announcement yet.

Volvo K24 turbo in audi application.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acuually, I do not see where I specified rotational or not. As I read it, my statements are accurate by virtue of vagueness

We are all wrong since the "torque limit" of the stock rods is backwards, as you pointed out. X psi of combustion is required for q NMs, so we can assume that a flawed tune caused too much cylinder psi or perhaps it was the result of increased boost and increased density. I would think the pistons would show signs of detonation.

Regardless, I was giving PRJ a hard time to lighten things up in here.
    1995 1PissedOff90sigpic1991 USDM CQ 7aT

Comment

• Originally posted by Mcstiff View Post
      Acuually, I do not see where I specified rotational or not. As I read it, my statements are accurate by virtue of vagueness

We are all wrong since the "torque limit" of the stock rods is backwards, as you pointed out. X psi of combustion is required for q NMs, so we can assume that a flawed tune caused too much cylinder psi or perhaps it was the result of increased boost and increased density. I would think the pistons would show signs of detonation.

Regardless, I was giving PRJ a hard time to lighten things up in here.
      It is still 'OK' to say that the rods can handle 650 NM without braking but what this really means is the rods can handle the compressive force needed to produce 650 NM of torque at the crank .

As we can only measure torque from a running engine and the compressive force on the rod is relative to the torque produced, the Max NM of torque that a set of rods can take is what are working to.

I was Just pointing out that torque is not the measure of force acting on a con rod and thus does not bend the rod.

Comment

• Originally posted by rst View Post

This fuel map needs to be changed AT LEAST that much, then the lambda would be about 0.83 as was the target lambda:

I'll assume you used the autotune feature to generate that graph. The log needs to be generated with autotune in mind in order for that to be worth anything at all. You need to hold load at particular load cells for a longer duration of time than a "pull" to get data that autotune can reliably work with.
        Marc Swanson
        Proprietor, EFI Express
        95.5 //S6 Avant
        90' Coupe Quattro V8 4.2L twin turbo
        93' //S4
        83' UrQ
        97' F250 7.3 diesel

Comment

• Originally posted by a4kquattro View Post
          I'll assume you used the autotune feature to generate that graph. The log needs to be generated with autotune in mind in order for that to be worth anything at all. You need to hold load at particular load cells for a longer duration of time than a "pull" to get data that autotune can reliably work with.
          I know what you mean. That was just for little info to see how much off is/was the VE tabel. It needs to be about 10% richer in the boosted area.
          Audi UrS4 609hp/846Nm @ wheels
          10.911@210, 1km 268km/h, 1mile 295km/h
          FATS 2,30 sec

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruffiano View Post
            Speaking from my own experience, and my own car. I had an RS2 turbo fitted with 034 rs2 software and rs2 replica injectors. I changed ONLY THE TURBO, INJECTORS, and ENGINE MANAGEMENT, all other factors stayed the same (intercooler, exhaust manifold, downpipe, exhaust, coils, ect). It was a night and day difference in power. Much quicker to spool, and much more torque. Again as stated dyno results are not truely comparable across the board, as mentioned, my readings on a different dyno could have been much lower, but in the same regard they could have been much higher had i dyno'd on a different dyno at sea level with a different dyno. The only true measure of this turbo vs rs2 would be same car same day same dyno.

Again as i stated before you could also measure it compared to other cars that dyno'd that day. like the 3 b7 RS4s that dynod and all came within about 15hp of each other and all had varied levels of modifications. My car put down more whp the one that was "100%" stock, was 1 whp shy of beating the one with a fresh carbon cleaning and open exhaust, and about 12 whp shy of the one with a fresh clean, open exhaust and a ported and de-flapped intake manifold. I beat all of them on torque by over 100 WTQ. I would say that for what it is, and the price you can get them, it is a VERY capable turbo.
            Hi i am interested in hearing more about this turbo hybrid especially for your feelings about it in the above quote.I realize that some daylight appeared where it shouldn't, a real shame for you Nothing seams to be posted about this for a long time,just wondering what was the verdict.Did another get built with same hybrid and was it successful.As you put it if this turbo hybrid spooled up much quicker and had better torque figures than the standard Rs2 and given that its much cheaper than RS2 turbo and has no lag it would seam to me a bit of a no brainer.Have you or anyone else been successful with this turbo hybrid?? Cheers
            96 URS6 plus speck saloon
            96 URS6 plus speck estate
            94 2.6 80 Avant
            99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

• Originally posted by voursch sprung dirch View Post
              Hi i am interested in hearing more about this turbo hybrid especially for your feelings about it in the above quote.I realize that some daylight appeared where it shouldn't, a real shame for you Nothing seams to be posted about this for a long time,just wondering what was the verdict.Did another get built with same hybrid and was it successful.As you put it if this turbo hybrid spooled up much quicker and had better torque figures than the standard Rs2 and given that its much cheaper than RS2 turbo and has no lag it would seam to me a bit of a no brainer.Have you or anyone else been successful with this turbo hybrid?? Cheers
              Somebody must know.Anyone??
              94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by voursch sprung dirch View Post

I still love that turbo. after the rebuild i went with a garrett 3071r, i still prefered the feel of the volvo turbo, the garrett turbo probably made more power up top, but wasn't a torquey down low. I know of several others who have ran this turbo with good results, i also know of some people running this turbo with a billet wheel which made very very impressive numbers. I actually recently purchased another one of these turbos to put on my s6.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruffiano View Post
                  I still love that turbo. after the rebuild i went with a garrett 3071r, i still prefered the feel of the volvo turbo, the garrett turbo probably made more power up top, but wasn't a torquey down low. I know of several others who have ran this turbo with good results, i also know of some people running this turbo with a billet wheel which made very very impressive numbers. I actually recently purchased another one of these turbos to put on my s6.
                  As you probably can tell i am very interested in this.I feel if this technology was available back in the early nineties Audi would have used it or at least a form of it and i like that.340bhp is enough for me.Also i am on a tight budget and need to keep costs down so this really appeals.Have you got an idea of price to buy the parts needed.Would the S6 ecu stay the same but tweaked? I can't remember from your thread if all under the bonnet stays the same but could be wrong so here's the question.Does everything under the bonnet of an S6 stay the same?apart from the turbo and the RS2 manifold? Cheers Mark.
                  94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

• I'd love to post about my wonderful experiences with the Volvo K24, but it's still sitting on the bench waiting for the exhaust housing that I sent to Hank for machining BACK IN SEPTEMBER...
                    Be alert! America needs more lerts.
                    Eric Law
                    '90 80Q with AAN and Megasquirt
                    '97 Saab 9000 Aero: mostly stock but ECU tweaks to add fastness
                    '86 4KTQ: R.I.P.

Comment

• @voursch sprung dirch

Did you see this thread by PRJ?

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64070

K24 7400 on an AAN with 440cc injectors and an 044 pump. So he could provide you with a chipset if you ran the same spec.

The intake setup is not bolt on, you will need to make some stuff up, I am clocking the coldside to clear the oil/water lines, another member made longer lines.

Turbo intake is much larger (and longer-towards headlight), outlet is not stock, inbuilt DV you can use, uprate or blank.
                      Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                      Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Originally posted by elaw View Post
                        I'd love to post about my wonderful experiences with the Volvo K24, but it's still sitting on the bench waiting for the exhaust housing that I sent to Hank for machining BACK IN SEPTEMBER...
                        That sucks.

I know not what you want but have you checked rennlist pelican parts etc for a k26/6 hotside?

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• I fitted this turbo, thread below. I had trouble getting a k26/6 but in the end bought a complete turbo from a Porsche 944 Turbo. Then just sold on the rest when I had finished. I though the turbo was a real nice upgrade and gave it alot more power over a standard mapped car. It also has the real benefit of driving like a factory setup.

Ivan

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56706

Comment

• Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                            That sucks.

I know not what you want but have you checked rennlist pelican parts etc for a k26/6 hotside?
                            Well... ironically... I actually have one! It's off a Porsche and actually fits.

But when I first got in touch with Hank he told me that machining a K24 hotside housing was a better way to go. Apparently the blade height of the turbine at the tips is taller on the 7400 than on the Porsche K26 so while it fits and works the Porsche hotside housing doesn't allow the turbo to perform to its full potential.

That's when I sent him the hotside off my spare K24 and the rest is history...
                            Eric Law

Comment

• Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                              ...inbuilt DV you can use, uprate or blank.
                              I'm actually planning to use the built-in DV - it seems pretty well designed. My intent was to rebuild it, but so far I haven't found a source for a rebuilding kit which is surprising.
                              Eric Law

Comment

• Originally posted by elaw View Post
                                I'm actually planning to use the built-in DV - it seems pretty well designed. My intent was to rebuild it, but so far I haven't found a source for a rebuilding kit which is surprising.
                                It would simplify plumbing.

I thought they broke above a certain boost level on volvos, hence the uprated ones?

I could just be when they are X years old and you up the boost they tear, and people just upgrade rather than replace?

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Working...
                                X