X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climate into RHD avant

Progress !

3 hours at the breakers wrestling with an A4 yielded this little lot for £70

I started by unwrapping the loom to sort the Climate wire from the non climate wires which left me with this.

This method has reduced the wiring I will have to do dramatically.

Got it running this afternoon with all the sensors connected. I can operated the fan and all the flaps all good

Problems:

This lot is from an A4 on a W vin number. Pin D6 for the Vac operated recirc flap as used on the earlier system has no function on this controller P/N 8L0 820 043 D.
    I have checked with a volt meter.

Can this be sorted with vagcom or do I need another controller ?

Can the drive output to the electric recric flap be modified ?

Can the electric recirc flap be fitted to the S2 evap housing ?

Many thanks for posting that guide johne it's been a big help already

cheers

rich
    sigpic
    "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
    BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
    1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
    2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Exploring this D6 issue further.

I can not get vagcom to connect to this controller (address 08) even tried doing a full address scan.
    When I removed the bits from the A4 I also grabbed the diagnostic port which only has 3 wires, no L line it would appear

Terminal A1 is connected to K line, interface has 12V and ground but will not connect
    This interface has never let me down before but I will test on the S2 tomorrow.

All grounds associated with this controller are defo connected.

HELP

sigpic

Comment

Dude you work far to quickly! I have all this kit for nearly 9 months or maybe longer now and haven't installed it

Right game on!

Comment

VAGCOM seems to have problems communicating to the HVAC module, I've had the same problem with my climate install in the cabriolet. After some research it seems to be a combination of the cheap eBay cables and the operating system VAGCOM is run on. I had problems with "too many communication errors". One solution is to use a cable with a serial port connector rather than a USB connector as the USB cables use a serial port "simulation" that can cause problems. I finally got VAGCOM or VCDS as it's now known to work by downloading the latest version of VCDS lite which works on all versions of Windows including 7. Still using the cheap eBay USB cable and turning the Latency value of the com 3 port down from 16 to 10 msec (Device Manager in the Control Panel) I was able to communicate with the HVAC module, read fault codes and recode the head unit.

The OBD2 connectors on A4s do not use the "L" line. I connected my A1 diagnostic signal to the diagnostics post in the fusebox and used the standard 2x2 cable adapter. Actually the manual aircon system was already wired to the diagnostics on my cabriolet, the line terminates at the aircon clutch control relay in the aux relay panel.

I used a head unit from a '96 A4 with the "H" suffix and the flap unit from a 2001 A4 (B5). Only the "H" suffix units used on A4s have the ability to control the vacuum switch for the resirc function. 97 onwards the resirc was motorised.

The coding is a 5 digit string, in my case it was 00061; 00 (filler digits), 0= Zexel compressor, 6= 6 cylinders, 1= right hand drive petrol. The coding is really there so the headunit can shut the compressor off if it detects a considerable speed difference between the compressor and engine. I initially ran the coding under 4 cylinder setup and had no problems. Later A4s from 97-98 onwards used a Nippon Denso compressor with no speed sensor, in their case the 3rd digit in the coding is "1".

Hope that's of some help
        30v 80 Cabriolet - FOR SALE!

Comment

Certainly dose

I'm not worried about vagcoming (is that a word ?) the CCU if won't solve the recirc flap problem.

I think I'll proceed with the install and keep an eye out for a A4 1996 CCU.
          I just won't be able to control the recric flap until I find one but the wiring will already be in place

cheers
          sigpic

Comment

You could also look out for a C4 100/A6/S4/6 climate unit, these units also run the vacuum resirc like the 80/S2 cars although they have the extra complication of a coolant shut-off valve to the heater matrix, no big problem as several other makes of aircon employ the same method and components are quite easy to come by, this vacuum operated valve just plumbs into the rubber supply hose to the matrix.

Remember that the wiring pins for the A4 units are about 30% different to those of the LHD S2, you will need the A4 schematics, this is a good site for schematics for the manual aircon B4 and digital CC '96 & '97 A4....

http://autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/Audi/19...NG%20DIAGRAMS/

Comment

working from the tables johne produced I have traced out the loom and labled everything up using this. Are you saying that because this is a later ccu/loom that those table will be 30% diferent ?

cheers

rich
              Last edited by rj scotty; 8 September 2010, 10:51.
              sigpic

Comment

I also worked from the A4 schematics when tracing the loom

Comment

working from the tables johne produced I have traced out the loom and labled everything up using this. Are you saying that because this is a later ccu/loom that those table will be 30% diferent ?

cheers

rich
                  Yes, there are subtle differences in the headunit pins for virtually each year of manufacture. The temperature sensors and flap motor pins are essentially the same up untill 1998 A4 b5 models. You will have to refer to the schematics for the year of the vehicle the climate head unit came from. If you are using the "...43D" head unit then you need to look at the 1997 A4 shematics I linked to. Apart from the obvious lack of vacuum operated resirc function, you will also find that the blower control module is not the same 3-pin type that Johne refers to which is only used in the climate system upto '96. The later post '96 systems also use extra temperature sensors in the footwell and central airflow positions.

Comment

Seems like an early A4 (MY95/96) donor is a simpler conversion then. The best option for CCU is from European Audi 80 with climate - that can be coded perfectly for RHD 5-cyl... I suspect other CCU from early A4 and 100 models can be used too though its been a long time since I looked into this one. Johne did a lot of great work here so I would defer to his guide in the 1st instance.
                    Paul Nugent
                    Webmaster http://S2central.net
                    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Just looked at the 1997 diagram and compared them to johne's. They appear to be the same in all aspects except pin A11 this goes to the instrument cluster in the A4 where as johne took it to T5h pin 4. I'm struggling with the blower wiring at the minute. it appears from the diagram that the live supply to the blower is cut when the low pressure relay is denergized, so if your a/c lost gas your blower would not work

Also my loom dose not have a C13 live supply could be nothing, could be a headache

cheers

rich
                      sigpic

Comment

What wiring diagram are you working from here - is it online somewhere ?

I have Bentley US schematics for the A4 and obviously all the 80 diagrams so we should be able to nail this one.
                        Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

http://autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/Audi/19...NG%20DIAGRAMS/

These ones
                          The supply to C13 is a peranent supply from the digital clock curcuit and is not needed on this controler it retains it's memory when the the unit has no 12v feed.
                          sigpic

Comment

looking like this 1997 diagram has some diffrences to my loom out of a VIN number W car
                            sigpic

Comment

WTF - I never studied Russian at skool

I cannot even see a link to that site in Engerlish
                              Paul Nugent

Comment

Working...
                              X