Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• £50 to £60 each. Better check though as that was 2 years ago.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• you're up early mate

Thanks
      If your offer of a swap is still open, and i cleaned up a decent pair of rear wishbones and put new bushes in them would that qualifiy as a fair trade?
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Yup, been doing insomnia recently, yesterday was a douvle shift .

I was after getting them zinc primed and black powder coated and some Superflex bushes in there so we'll sort it out. Mine had done approx 10k. New bushes and some paint would be about £50 so there's a starting point?
        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

• Well, two new rear wishbones later, and we're in business i think

Just gotta get my Torsen sorted and pick up some new handbrake cables, then find time to refit the lot

Last edited by Error404; 28 October 2008, 22:48.
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Just had another thought for a setup, taking a FARB and then cutting the arms to the same length as the RARB so that you don't have to swap the struts (as I've done). Roughly the arms will be halved in length so I've calculated the following:-

Stiffness ~ D^4 / Length

I've used length relative to the OE bar - L and calculated the Relative Stiffness (RS) by dividing by the stiffness of the OE bar. This is as before, earlier in the thread.

Stock bar:-

D= 13mm, L = 1
            13^4/1 = 28561
            RS = 1

B4 25mm bar (like I have at the mo, unmodified and with arms, L = 2):-

D = 25mm, L=2
            25^4/2 = 195312.5
            RS = 6.8

S2 FARB on the rear (got one in the cupboard , L = 2):-

D = 26mm, L = 2
            26/2 = 228488
            RS = 8

B4 22mm bar with short arms:-

D = 22mm, L = 1
            22^4/1 = 234256
            RS = 8.2

So you can see that even using the 22mm bar, this is a seriously stiff setup, (very close to the 26mm S2 FARB option) nice for road use but a little OTT on the track. Still, gives a simple bolt-on solution as opposed to the others (whiteline excluded) that require work.
            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

• i've got a 22mm front bar i was keeping for a bit of a play with this idea - but from your calcs that would be way too stiff for me i think. I guess on my set-up L = 1.5 maybe??

I've swapped my struts round and changed the ABS cable holder in preparation for any future stiffer bars using your method (and incase my didn;t work)
              For droplinks I just chopped my droplinks in half and welded them together side by side

EDIT: can;t belive it was a year ago i was putting together the type 85 set-up and still not driven the car in anger with it
              Last edited by Error404; 6 October 2009, 22:23.
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Well after it looks as though ESP have let me down with making up an alternatice option (no reply from him in about 6 months now) it seems as though i am looking for another option. I will get the ARB's back from ESP and with newsh's blessing as they are his i might give this a go. Do you think this will work well with a stock front and with Koni, H&R Springs?
                3'' Longlife Exhaust, Koni Adjustables, H&R Springs, Full RS2 Setup with Mr Nugents RS2 Chips (just need the RS2 Airbox)

Comment

• Yeah, it'll work with a stock front bar although an RS2 one would be better.

Error, your setup won't be far off a 24mm front bar at a guess...
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

• I had a good read at this one.

If I understand correctly the rear struts should be swapped from left to right and right to left, right?

and then all fits like it should? Nice, shame I can't test it now I've got my S2 SORN'd.

only got a spare 26 mm. now though so may be a bit too stiff on my completely standard suspension.

Comment

• That's correct, onlty other thing you need is the FARB retaining cups and bushes.

26mm will be OK, just don't go made straight away as it'll slide off the power a lot more, on the power should be fine IME.
                      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

• hmm would be nice to give it a try
                        Last edited by quattrostyle; 9 October 2009, 14:33.

Comment

• do it Patrick, but maybe get a 22mm bar off a basic 80 or 90 for better balanced set-up with the standard front bar
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• sorry to go off subject but mine after a whiteline rear arb and cant seem to find any one that sells them for a coupe, dose any ine know were i can get one from or have any links?

Comment

• Demon Tweeks?
                              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

• tried them but saying they only list rear one for avant

Comment

Working...
                                X